Thread to keep track of Ammo prices across India

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
lasershark
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Thread to keep track of Ammo prices across India

Post by lasershark » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello All,
Hope everyone can contribute to make a database by posting about the ammo availability and prices at their local dealers in this format.

Dealer Name:
Dealer State:
CaliberPrice DomesticPrice Imported
.22Lr
:cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Drameenkitekar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Thread to keep track of Ammo prices across India

Post by Drameenkitekar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Good initiative, if friendly dealers help us in giving these caliber ammo in sub 100 price, we the gun lovers and the dealers both get benefited.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Drameenkitekar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Drameenkitekar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:13 pm

The lower the cost of ammo, the more will be usage.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:21 pm

No arms and ammunition dealer has cared to post the price of ammunition of even a single calibre.

Why such reticence?

Is it because prices of ammunition fluctuate very often? Or dealers don't want to commit themselves to the price they have posted here? Or they are afraid of starting a price war and encouraging cut-throat competition?

Or because of the scarcity of imported ammunition, it is a sellers' market and the dealers couldn't care less about keeping potential buyers informed?
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Most of weapon owners in India have yearly quantity of 25 cartridges. For that small quantity, the licensee will have to buy cartridges from his local gun shop only. So it doesn't matter what the prices are at other far off places.

Regarding imported cartridges, when fresh import comes, price goes down. When import doesn't come, price slowly begins to climb.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

alameinite
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by alameinite » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:43 am

Hi
I would like to add my two cents to it.
A. The yearly quota of ammo has long been revised and it stands at 100 for one time and 200 rounds per year. You just have to apply to your licensing authority, quoting the new Arms Act 2016. He will upgrade same for a nominal fee of approx 1500-2000.
B. With the updated quantity, you can thereafter checkout the costs for 100 rounds at a time, which will fetch you a better deal.

Sent from my SM-M515F using Tapatalk

"The hills are barren, cold and steep, But I have promises to keep,
A lot to sweat , Before I sleep,...And Miles to run before I sleep.."

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 am

Vineet wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 pm
Most of weapon owners in India have yearly quantity of 25 cartridges. For that small quantity, the licensee will have to buy cartridges from his local gun shop only. So it doesn't matter what the prices are at other far off places.

Regarding imported cartridges, when fresh import comes, price goes down. When import doesn't come, price slowly begins to climb.
Vineet ji,

It is not just a question of prices but also of availability. My wife and I have travelled the length and breadth of UP, from Varanasi to Moradabad to buy cartridges for her .22 Hi Power Savage rifle. This was not the sole purpose of these journeys but a spur and an incentive for undertaking them.

Some of my friends have travelled further afield to pick up freshly imported ammunition in calibres .405 and .44 Winchester.

As pointed out by friend Alameinite above, ammunition quotas for the common or ordinary licencees have gone up to 100 at a time and 200 per year under the new Rules, a substantial increase over the earlier quantities.

Moreover, it is not merely a question of savings but of information. Most buyers of rifle and handgun ammunition would like to know the make and also the type and weight of bullet. For example, I used to prefer semi-wadcutter (SWC) bullets when buying cartridges in Smith and Wesson Long. Owners of shotguns are equally interested in the length, make and shot size of cartridges.

Choice of rifle calibres are to some extent governed by availability of ammunition.

Moreover, members in far-flung areas of the country are completely out of touch with current prices and would find such information very valuable.

These are just some stray thoughts of one who has lived in the "mofussil" or far-flung areas for long periods of time.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Drameenkitekar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Drameenkitekar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 am

If imported ammunition is sold in exorbitantly high price, people buy less. If they will sell it in reasonably cheaper price the selling number will be high and the turnover and profit amount will remain almost same. But....this will require a change in mentality.

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 pm

If my arms licence is valid for a particular state, can i buy ammunition from a different state ?

alameinite
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by alameinite » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:19 pm

gwattal wrote:If my arms licence is valid for a particular state, can i buy ammunition from a different state ?
1. As per arms rule, an All-india license holder can buy ammunition from anywhere in India, whereas for State license holders, you have to buy from your respective state only.
2. However, in case a particular Ammo is not available in your state and is avbl in other states, you can purchase same through a Gunhouse dealer from your state, though he too will charge his fee for the same.

Sent from my SM-M515F using Tapatalk

"The hills are barren, cold and steep, But I have promises to keep,
A lot to sweat , Before I sleep,...And Miles to run before I sleep.."

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm

A severe shortage is being reported in US too . It's mostly hypothetical though . A few days back I bought iof .32 acp rounds for INR 140 each in Bhopal , the same dealer has promised to supply at INR 100 in a few days . See this
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 am

A severe shortage is being reported in US too . It's mostly hypothetical though .
Well, to the contrary, it's mostly fact. Looking on the shelves, there are no primers for sale (except for a couple of boxes for 50 BMG, as if I need that!), hardly any powder, and the only ammunition is for some obscure hunting rifle cartridges.

Anything like 9mm, 45 Auto, 10 mm, 357, and 44 Mag is only a distant memory. I have seen an occasional box of 32 Auto, though that's only because it's not in much demand.

The shelves, in fact, look like those farmers' houses during the Dust Bowl days, when locusts would devour everything, even the curtains on the windows.

As the video said, new gun owners are buying and impacting the supply. But especially, hoarders are impacting the supply., but even more so, speculators are also buying up everything so as to profit from the situation. Reloading supplies, such as primers and powder, are unavailable because ammunition manufacturing companies are using these components themselves, to satisfy the demand for ammunition.

This is not all. When I go to the website of our local store (it is small, so the normal stock isn't great and having a lot of different models shipped from central stock is common), Most ever model of handgun that might remotely be considered for personal defense is sold out. I was looking at the Ruger Security 9 9mm semiauto, and Ruger looks to be producing those as fast as possible and letting most of their other line go until later.

I keep an eye out for interesting large bore cartridge arms from the 1860 - 1880 era. I don't have the budget to buy right now, but nobody else seems to be buying these guns either, and I've seen asking prices reduced (though, unfortunately, not enough to convince my Wife that now is the time to buy!) So, as I said, folks are grabbing up the more defense-oriented weapons, including "black rifles."

What I'd like to see is for something to happen that would cause prices on guns, ammo, and components to fall very drastically. Then all of these "capitalists" would be left with garages full of their hoarding, and they would have a lot of money tied up in something worth a lot less than they paid for it. (Folks here are doing the same thing with toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I wish the same ill on them, too.) Someone making a reasonable profit is one thing, but taking advantage of someone in need is not something I like. As some videos have suggested, I've noted those stores that I know are gouging, and determined that I won't buy from them again.

I can't imagine that the global situation is much different. Most of our ammunition here is made overseas, by companies like Sellier & Ballot, PPU, and others. Wolf and the other Russian brands also supply a lot of ammo. (Though, I wish I could find that 7.62x54r Barnaul ammo. Nobody even stocks it anymore, it seems.) So, with gun and ammo manufacturing being a global industry now, I can't see how things would be too much different anywhere else.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:34 am

The CEO of Federal had to come out with a video:

The situation in (most of) Western Europe doesn’t seem to be as bad since the vast majority use firearms for sport shooting or hunting. A lot of indoor sports facilities are closed, competitions, events and matches have been cancelled. Plus there’s limit to how much ammo can be kept at any one point in time so hoarding is limited. There seems to be a dearth of reloading supplies though since the supply chain itself has been impacted and some of it has been redirected to US.

Cheers
SS