.500 nitro round

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
nitrosingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

.500 nitro round

Post by nitrosingh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm

can any one help me in getting .500 rifle rounds where i can buy them

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: .500 nitro round

Post by Vikram » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm

nitrosingh wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm
can any one help me in getting .500 rifle rounds where i can buy them
There is more than one .500 calibre cartridge around. You need to be specific.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

nitrosingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nitrosingh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 pm

.500 nitro express

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:28 am

Is it the 3" or the 3 1/4" case? There are a good number of .500 cal doubles floating around that are being paraded as "nitro express" rifles, I hope you are aware that the .500 Blackpowder Express, that fired a copper-capped lead bullet weighing 340gr and a heavier 440gr lead bullet for the nitro-for-black load, the Nitro-for-Black ammunition that was manufactured utilised a cordite charge loaded to blackpowder pressures and was used in blackpowder doubles and others that were proofed accordingly. The .500 Nitro Express, was a major performance upgrade to the older .500 Blackpowder and was a whole new animal, this round was identical to the blackpowder version in dimension, but the 570gr copper and steel jacketed projectiles powered by a healthy charge of flat-strip or MDT modified deterred tubular cordite gave it an unparalleled ballistic edge over the older blackpowder round. The proof marks on your rifle will tell the whole story. If you do happen to have a .500 double proofed for black, or even Nitro for black, as some are, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT even think of using anything other than .500 BPE ammo.

People who have made the mistake of using the wrong .500 ammo just because someone said it will work as its a perfect fit in the chambers, are probably playing a harp somewhere or just plain goddamn lucky to be alive! Whatever your case, make a well-informed decision!
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:40 am

Cheers,Zubin, for elaborating the issue.

Nitro Singh, if it is possible, do post the photos of your rifle showing the proof arks and other details stamped on it.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:34 pm

I would take it some trusted and experienced gunsmith. Have the chamber measured and scoped or slugged for exact measurements.

NO needs to man up and shove something in chambers. Your firearm might me falling into vintage class or failing by age or misuse, so no experiments please. Depending what continent you are in, there are not much use of these calibers and it's quite expensive to shoot these guns.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Buffalo Hunter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Buffalo Hunter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Would be interested in seeing the proofs.

Buffalo Hunter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Buffalo Hunter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:45 pm

I am looking to purchase one. Any help would be appreciated. That's a BPE proofed for NFB

Amin_owaisi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Amin_owaisi » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:33 am

Hi i recently saw a gun which was in reality a 500 bp and had nitro written on the proof marks by some sort of machine which was definately a fake nitro .the guns proof marks were very old but the guy selling it wanted to pass it off as a genuine nitro .i would advise to be very careful as it can be very dangerous to shoot this rifle and i dont think a blackpowder 500 can be reproofed to a 500nitro since the pressure differnces and tolerances are too far apart

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Amin_owaisi wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:33 am
Hi i recently saw a gun which was in reality a 500 bp and had nitro written on the proof marks by some sort of machine which was definately a fake nitro .the guns proof marks were very old but the guy selling it wanted to pass it off as a genuine nitro .i would advise to be very careful as it can be very dangerous to shoot this rifle and i dont think a blackpowder 500 can be reproofed to a 500nitro since the pressure differnces and tolerances are too far apart
That could cause serious injury or even death.That guy is a criminal.