Avalibility of .22 Magnum

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Avalibility of .22 Magnum

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Gentlemen,

Can anyone give me an idea of the commonness or rarity of .22Magnum ammo in our wonderful country? Also, what do they usually cost? All I ever came across was a box of those micro bird-shot types.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
cc

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:08 pm

Those are called snake shot, I have some in 22 LR.
22 Magnum is difficult to find in most places but a gun shop in Delhi has at least a thousand or so rounds.

PM for details or post here.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Hey CC, you got a 22mag MG? ;) :)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:58 pm

dev";p="31501 wrote:Those are called snake shot, I have some in 22 LR.
22 Magnum is difficult to find in most places but a gun shop in Delhi has at least a thousand or so rounds.
PM for details or post here.
Thanks Dev... I'll follow up on this as soon as I get word from the gentleman.
Hey CC, you got a 22mag MG?
How I wish! :)

Well guys its actually not me but a friend who thoughtlessly got hold of a very nice Colt auto in .22Magnum ...a proper 1911 in miniature also in very pretty condition...except for the ammo darn it.... why is it always the case?

If he doesn't find it worthwhile (ownership vs usability vs ammo supply) he'll probably want to sell it off...at an obviously bloated price of course!! :)

I'll post the details as and when... perhaps someone might get interested.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Avalibility of .22 Magnum

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Since this may be helpful to an owner in your country I'll post it-

You can make an adapter out of a fired 22 magnum shell if you have any, just grind the base off the shell and you can then slide it over a 22LR, which will now chamber and fire safely. I'm sure it will not operate the action, so you are limited to single shot any way you look at it but at least you can use the gun. Additionally, you should visually inspect the chamber and barrel after each shot to make certain there isn't a fragment of the case somewhere it shouldn't be.

The 22 LR has an outside diameter the same size as the bullet, and the 22 Magnum has the inside diameter of the case the same size of the bullet, so it follows the one will slip inside the other. Firing a 22 LR in a 22M without doing this can result in a fatally damaged chamber and/or gun. (as the saying goes, the shooter won't be killed but the gun will be!)
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:05 pm

IIRC, when we'd all gone to Garg armoury some weeks back, they did have .22 magnum ammo in stock...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Everyone, thanks a bundle for the info.

The intention was not to procure ammo immediately, but simply gauge the availability of ammo and see if long term ownership of a .22magnum pistol would make sense. I suppose it would for a moneyed person who doesn't shoot much :)

Thanks all though.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:21 pm

The .22 WMR is a surprisingly effective cartridge - and several authorities reckon that it is more useful in a pistol than a rifle as it allows a 6" barrelled pistol to develope about the same energy as a .22 lr `Hyper Velocity` round does from a rifle - the .22 lr in a pistol being pretty feeble.
The .22 WMR produces appreciably more energy than the .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long/.32 Short Colt/.32 ACP and has got to be worth consideration.

Mark, have you heard anything on the .22 `Super` magnum rimfire that has supposedly been in developement for some time ?

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:20 pm

CC ;

Well guys its actually not me but a friend who thoughtlessly got hold of a very nice Colt auto in .22Magnum ...a proper 1911 in miniature also in very pretty condition...except for the ammo darn it.... why is it always the case?

If he doesn't find it worthwhile (ownership vs usability vs ammo supply) he'll probably want to sell it off...at an obviously bloated price of course!! :)

I'll post the details as and when... perhaps someone might get interested

HI, CC , I really love .22 pistol and need handgun to cover my licence ,PM the coplete details with pictures and expections...Cheers James...