Available calibers in India

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
amlan_biswas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Available calibers in India

Post by amlan_biswas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 am

I am quite a newb to the world of guns and ammunition. But from a lot of readings, I did manage to find that some of the calibers like the .40 S&W, the .44 Magnum, the 10 mm are quite effective. I do not prefer the .32 ACP or the .380 ACP. But it is difficult to find pistols (I do not much like revolvers) in India for these calibers. I managed to find a website which can offer the Beretta 92, which I found out can hold the .40 S&W.
My question is this - "I want a good caliber - one with good stopping power and god penetration. What caliber and gun should I look for?"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Available calibers in India

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Firsf Check Out NPB/PB Cal. List In India. There are recent changes in the list.

Secondly Finding a Handgun of some uncommon Caliber in Indian Context may not that tough but the tough part is finding its ammo on regular basis and @ affordable rate.

Third what is your objective. Self defense/ Sports. If its a self defense like u said good stopping power and penetration then I would like say humbly .32, .25,.22, .30 cal are sufficient for self defense. In India one in a million chance that a Wild Wild west like gun fight will erupt and even if such situation ( May God save all of us from such Mess) occur then except a high skilled gun fighter no body will able to survive untouched regardless whatever caliber gun he is holding.
Regards

Shivaji

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

.45 acp, 7.62x25, 7.63x25 are easily available in India if you prefer big caliber.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

amlan_biswas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by amlan_biswas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 pm

@Shivaji.Dasgupta I heard that often it so happens that the .22 pistol rounds do not make a fatal wound, though it depends on the accuracy of the shot. If you would follow the link it tells you how the ones below the 9 mm are not often enough for a good defence.

@Vineet, isn't .45 ACP an NPB in India, that is what I knew according to some of the forums on this website.

Are pistols available in India that shoot the .40 S&W or .44 Magnum? And I know this sounds far-fetched, can you have Glocks or Springfield XDMs or AMT Hardballers in India from gun dealers?

James_Bond
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by James_Bond » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Vineet wrote:.45 acp, 7.62x25, 7.63x25 are easily available in India if you prefer big caliber.
where these calliber are available in India price and address.
With Regards
CODE NAME BOND, JAMES BOND LICENSE TO RKBA

Maroon_d3vil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Maroon_d3vil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:. If its a self defense like u said good stopping power and penetration then I would like say humbly .32, .25,.22, .30 cal are sufficient for self defense.
Dear amlan_biswas,

.22 cal.is the most underestimated one! I've met a national level shooter who runs a private security firm that operates with VIPs. He himself says that .22 cal is enough in hostile situations as you won't be having a long gun fight. He himself has been using IOF .22cal revolver along with other weapons since 2009 and believes it to be fair enough for the purpose.

Regards,
Maroon_d3vil
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun". -- The Dalai Lama

amlan_biswas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by amlan_biswas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am

@Maroon_d3vil, Yes, but it can be easily assumed that not everyone does have great precision and accuracy while firing weapons. A long gunfight with a .22 cal weapon should not even be an option. If you are against an opponent who is trying to harm you and has some weapon himself, would you not want to have something better to shoot with?

If you aren't a very good shooter, a gun with a caliber like the .40 Smith & Wesson can at least get you a shot that will render the attacker harmless, allowing you to evade.

People who own guns for self-defence are not supposed to run into gunfights 90% of the time. If they do with this firepower, it will surely take an extremely skilled shooter to get out of that situation.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 am

James_Bond wrote:
Vineet wrote:.45 acp, 7.62x25, 7.63x25 are easily available in India if you prefer big caliber.
where these calliber are available in India price and address.
Available with most arms dealers in North India.
Vineet Armoury

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am

amlan_biswas, bro. as i said earlier getting a Gun may not a problem, if U r Willing to pay that much amount. The Brands you mention Like Glock, AMT Hardballers, Springfield XDM cost same as the cost of an Apartment in any leading Indian Metro city (Rightly said by one of Our Senior Member of this Forum)
next is the Ammo. to get yourself well versed with that weapon to tackle any life threatening situation you need at least 200-300 rounds for practice. now Check with your Arms License Limit, Will take years to arrange that number of ammo. i.e of some uncommon cal.
Then comes the cost of the ammo. and it will not cheap any way.

Its. India, You can get anything here, from antique to hi-tech weapons if you are ready to pay that price.
Till the best of my limited knowledge .22, .25 or .32. will work perfectly in any odd situations.
Its the man behind the machine always...
Regards

Shivaji

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 am

It would be wrong to say that caliber doesn't matter. But .32 does the job most of the time. Personally I would avoid .22 and .25 acp.

Here is a very good channel on YouTube regarding self protection https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2 ... ImeNWh84mw
Vineet Armoury

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Weapons and calibers only matter if you can use them in an effiecient manner just firing is not enought in an emergency situation when you are fearing for your life at that time you should be able to quick load your gun and shoot bullseye.....you will require a lot of training

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am

riflemarksman, Right u Are. Training with any weapon and that too score a hit at every shot require a lot of training.
Sorry to say In Indian context an ordinary AL holder without Extended Limit for Ammo. for Sports will not able to do that. only Special Ops. teams Have that privilege In India right now.
An uncommon caliber ammo. is hard to find and even if its available then in limited numbers.
Some dealers do have stock of guns of higher caliber and they sale those pieces to unknown buyers at Astronomical prices with a promise that they will supply the Ammo. Initially they do supply some Rounds with the Weapon but as they never get a replenishment for themselves so after sometime the same reply to the customer. " Waiting for the Stock" ....
It may hard to digest but True.
Regards

Shivaji

amlan_biswas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by amlan_biswas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 pm

@shivaji.dasgupta Help me out with this thought:
If you are a member at a shooting range and you are involved in the sports, you are allowed to claim for a higher amount of ammunition in the license.
So suppose I have a license for a 0.22 rifle (for sportsl and 0.357 sig (for self-defense) . So can I claim for a higher ammunition limit for the self defense weapon as well?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm

amlan_biswas wrote:@shivaji.dasgupta Help me out with this thought:
If you are a member at a shooting range and you are involved in the sports, you are allowed to claim for a higher amount of ammunition in the license.
So suppose I have a license for a 0.22 rifle (for sportsl and 0.357 sig (for self-defense) . So can I claim for a higher ammunition limit for the self defense weapon as well?
No, you cannot.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 pm

no. not possible bro. except you are one of following.
1. Arjuna award winner in Shooting.
2. Represented India in Olympics Shooting.
3. Participated & Scored in Any International level Shooting event.
4. National level champions Do have Some Additional Advantage In Ammo Quota in Excess to their event related Caliber.
Regards

Shivaji