K.F 32 S&W Long swells after fire and jams in the chamber of Revolvers

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

K.F 32 S&W Long swells after fire and jams in the chamber of Revolvers

Post by Ajaaybeer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm

K.F 32 S&W .L cartridge tends to Jam in the chambers of cyclinder of the revolvers. There was a previous thread where info. was passed about faulty ammo of 2013 in circulation which had more charge and happened to jam after firing.
But i bought 2017 lot and experienced similar problem. The brass shells wont eject easily although the ejector would lift them partially .
I observed basically the problem is the shell swells up after firing which results in problem with extraction of used shell . I cannot comment on real culprit of problem.
Maybe they are overcharged which produces more pressure or maybe the thickness of metal sheet used in shell has been decreased and produces more expansion or else the length and depth of lead projectile inserted inside the shell has something to do with it etc etc.
I look forward to opinions of others.
Meanwhile in the poctures i am sharing,if you notice the light in the narrow gaps between unfired cartridges and fired shells, you will notice change in size of shell from middle to end .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

For Advertising mail webmaster
riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: K.F 32 S&W Long swells after fire and jams in the chamber of Revolvers

Post by riflemarksman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 pm

It could be any one of the problems that you have already mentioned like over pressure , thin metal used for the case and one another reason could be a slightly oversized chamber which would fail to control the expansion of the case when the cartridge is fired...

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Ajaaybeer,
Never used the K.F. ammo or any firearm in India :).. But I shoot a 38 Special at a Range in Philippines. Some cartridge refuse to eject after being fired, either they develop a crack or they expand more then usual (I have more issues when I force load a round which feels tight when putting it in the chamber). All the ammo in the Range I use is handloaded by the Range..
Not sure if this helps, but if you don’t force a round that won’t easily go in the chamber, maybe you will have less of extraction issues.
Happy Shooting..

Regards,
Maanbir

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:17 pm

maanbirsingh wrote:Hi Ajaaybeer,
Never used the K.F. ammo or any firearm in India :).. But I shoot a 38 Special at a Range in Philippines. Some cartridge refuse to eject after being fired, either they develop a crack or they expand more then usual (I have more issues when I force load a round which feels tight when putting it in the chamber). All the ammo in the Range I use is handloaded by the Range..
Not sure if this helps, but if you don’t force a round that won’t easily go in the chamber, maybe you will have less of extraction issues.
Happy Shooting..

Regards,
Maanbir
Dear maanbir, thanks for writing. You helped by providing another observation.
1)That all the ammo used at range is handloaded.
2)If you dont force a handloaded round you probably have less extraction issues.
3) Some shells develop a crack or they expand more then usual.
Opinion i develop
1) Probability cannot be ruled out about overcharging or undercharging with handloading.
2) The round that needs forced insertion is probably already swollen and swells more after consecutive firing.
3) Overcharging can be a possible reason of developing cracks in reloaded ammo.

Indian scenario:
All K.F are factory loaded and we dont undertake hand reloading. So in all probabilities the problem lies at manufacturer end. Maybe they are overcharging or constitution of propellent used can be a reason if it develops more charge.

I am waiting for someone to bust the myths around this faulty ammo.

From pen of
Ajaaybeer S. Sandhu
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:53 pm

The cases get stuck because of dirty chamber. The .32 kf revolver ammo burns very dirty. Clean the chambers thoroughly with brass brush and good solvent and cases won't get stuck.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 pm

riflemarksman wrote: one another reason could be a slightly oversized chamber which would fail to control the expansion of the case when the cartridge is fired...
This seems to be another valid probability. The only way to make sure is to test fire same lot ammo in 2 or 3 revolvers of different make and model.
I am currently using IOF mk-3.
I will get back with some consolidatory conclusion after test firing in different makes. There aint any possibility of oversizing in older makes.

Added in 6 minutes 5 seconds:
Vineet wrote:The cases get stuck because of dirty chamber. The .32 kf revolver ammo burns very dirty. Clean the chambers thoroughly with brass brush and good solvent and cases won't get stuck.
I am very sure that its not because of dirty chambers. I have taken adequate care of that.
But if you check the pictures i posted minutely, you will be able to see the size of shells altering and they get a bit swollen. That is the only reason .
Its not possible that so much residue is produced in first round of firing that they get stuck.
You may be very right at this and i might be wrong but it doesnot satisfy me at the moment. Thanks for one healthy input.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

It is due to change in design of new round of .32 which is litle larger and heavier metal in 2017 round .Earlier round of 2012 -15 was thinner and smaller metal round had more range .I did fire many rounds which went upto 30 meters but new round I do not think go beyond 20 meters or hardly will be reach 25 meters in mark3 revolver.New round and its bullet will have tendency to expand more rapidly but litle with penetration u can fire both old and new round will urself see the result.Revolver is okay if u fire in imported revolver u will see same problem.