Imported Ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Imported Ammo

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:51 am

Yes, the 8x57's 12mm head size was copied by the .30-06.
Without bullet, even a full powder charge won't fire form the case to chamber dimensions. You'll just end up with a lot of unburned powder in your barrel if you do that.
That rifle is built on a WW1 military action, or barreled action, and with a .311 stamp is pretty obviously a 8x57S Mauser.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 am

I fireformed plenty of brass for presentations in my teaching classes, 10-12 gr of any fast burning powder will do that.

Just plug the mouth of brass with some cotton or toilet paper to build the pressure, you know what I'm talking.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 am

Yes, Hammerhead. Fast burning, i.e. pistol, powder can do that. But never the powder charge behind a military ball loading, or a heavy hunting bullet.

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:37 am

Can someone please guide me where to acquire .32 ammo. It will really help if dealer suggestions are made here

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pokhar » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 am

Hi all,
Kindly suggest brand/name of best and affordable imported Ammo for IOF .32 pistol. Also if possible please suggest dealers in Delhi Ncr.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:15 am

pokhar wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 am
Hi all,
Kindly suggest brand/name of best and affordable imported Ammo for IOF .32 pistol. Also if possible please suggest dealers in Delhi Ncr.
.32 pistol ammo are made in India and therefore government doesn’t allow dealers to import them. Due to this prices of imported .32 ammo are very high like Rs. 800 to 1500 for each cartridge.

Regarding the brand, I have seen Sellier and Bellot, Hornady, Blaser, Fiocchi in the market. All are good. If you are buying for self defence then buy only FMJ and not hollow point.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:40 am

Vineet wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:15 am
pokhar wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 am
Hi all,
.32 pistol ammo are made in India and therefore government doesn’t allow dealers to import them. Due to this prices of imported .32 ammo are very high like Rs. 800 to 1500 for each cartridge.

Regarding the brand, I have seen Sellier and Bellot, Hornady, Blaser, Fiocchi in the market. All are good. If you are buying for self defence then buy only FMJ and not hollow point.
I believe that Vineet's recommendation of full metal jacket (FMJ) ammunition for use in 32 Automatic (aka "32 Auto " and "32 ACP") is very wise advice. We have discussed this issue a number of times on these boards, and the matter is related to depth of penetration that might be expected in use. A search of these forums on the subject might be helpful for those who want more information.

I would also add that it is widely put about that European ammunition manufacturers load 32 Automatic "hotter" than do American manufacturers. This is because American manufacturers load to SAAMI standards in order to use the "32 Automatic" or "32 Auto" designation on their products.

However, European manufacturers use CIP standards for their ammunition, and these products are generally labeled "7.65 Browning" on the boxes, but may also include "32 Auto" as well. I have such ammunition, myself, that is dual-labeled.

SAAMI standards for 32 Automatic call for a maximum pressure of 20,500 pounds/square inch.

CIP standards for 7.65 Browning, the European specification for the same cartridge, call for a maximum pressure of 23206 pounds/square inch (Actually, 1600 bar, which is nearly equal). https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/tdcc/ ... page12.pdf

Here, I must note that, beside the different standards, there are different ways of measuring chamber pressure and different units of measure. Additionally, just because the CIP standard allows higher pressure for 32 Automatic/7.65 Browning, one should not assume that CIP pressures are always higher than SAMMI -- they are certainly not. In the case of 32 Automatic/7.65 Browning, the way of measurement and units used are comparable, and European ammunition is loaded to a higher pressure.

What does this mean, as 23,206 isn't so different from 20,500?

1. Every ballistics test I've seen shows an advantage in velocity for European ammunition, compared to American ammunition, given the same bullet type.

2. Penetration tests generally show that increased European ammunition penetrates more deeply than the comparable American ammunition. But, this may not always be true. Occasionally, a slower moving bullet penetrates more deeply than a faster one in the test data. Whether this is due to a subtle difference between the shapes of different bullet makes, or anomalies in how the tests were conducted, I can't say for sure.

When I have bought 32 Automatic/7.65 Browning ammunition, I have bought and shot Fiocchi (Italy), or RWS (Germany), or Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic, but owned by Brazilian Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos), based on the testing I've read. I have turned away from Remington, which is loaded to lower SAAMI pressures and Cor-Bon, which is loaded with lighter hollow point bullets. Nowadays, most gun stores do not carry 32 Auto here. Sometimes there is 5.7mm or 30 Super Carry, but beyond that, 380 Auto is pretty much what comes after 22 LR on the shelves. I have not seen Blaser in 32 Auto, so haven't tried it, and Hornady ammunition for handguns is generally the most expensive stuff on the shelves. Right now, 9mm Hornady "Critical Duty" is running about $34 for 25 rounds. It's supposed to be great ammunition, but far too expensive for my wallet.

Right now, my carry CZ70 is loaded with RWS.

This is my 2 paise in addition to Vineet's comments, which is probably all that it's worth, given the availability of imported 32 Auto. But, if you can get some, I think that this would be the way to go for a personal carry weapon.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:54 am

Very well written Timmy. I also recommend FMJ in .32 ACP because hollow points are shorter in ‘over all lengths’ and can cause rimlock as .32 ACP is semi rimmed cartridge.
Vineet Armoury

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pokhar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:38 am

Thanks for guidance, wanted to know about imported Ammo as quality of Ammo might be the main cause of malfunction/jamming of pistols. Here are photos of cartridge after 2-3 times load/unload full magazine for function check. Dammage/scratch developed in Rim and shell of cartridges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:05 am

The extractor and the edges encountered when chambering will scar up the cases somewhat, so don't feel that this is unusual.

Here is an article by Ed Harris, a very experienced and respected shooter, reloader, and bullet caster, on the 32 Auto/7.65 Browning. Reading this article carefully shows that Harris has encountered and addressed the issues we've discussed here. Much of it deals with reloading and bullet casting issues, but there is plenty of information to ponder:

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2014/09 ... ackdriver/
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:08 pm

pokhar wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:38 am
Thanks for guidance, wanted to know about imported Ammo as quality of Ammo might be the main cause of malfunction/jamming of pistols. Here are photos of cartridge after 2-3 times load/unload full magazine for function check. Dammage/scratch developed in Rim and shell of cartridges.
These will fire without issue
Vineet Armoury