garg armoury offers special discounts for IFG Members

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm

mundaire";p="28825 wrote:
dev";p="28821 wrote: Metro would be dicey, so either we all meet up at our adopted range and go in one vehicle. Say meet about quarter to 11 or earlier?

Dev
Cool, sounds like a plan... I'll get the "dinky car", best use that for a crowded place like Kashmere Gate... y'alls SUV's would be a b**ch to manoeuvre and park in old Delhi... What say?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Actually the location isn't that crowded and one can find parking just about fifty meters or so from the venue. Me just worried since all of us are so cookie cutter shaped that we'll fit in ;-).

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Do find some space for me too... 10.45 at Siri Fort Shooting Range looks firm and Sunday fishing looks good too...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:37 pm

Anupam";p="28830 wrote: Do find some space for me too... 10.45 at Siri Fort Shooting Range looks firm and Sunday fishing looks good too...
Hey Bro you are the designated driver he he hee ;-)

Dev

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Guess then u'll have to ask for space from me... :mrgreen:

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:16 pm

hey
are they stocked well enough
as in would they have just one or two air rifles or more options from which i can choose.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: garg armoury offers special discounts for IFG Members

Post by dev » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Sid,

I think he should have several, even one of the new gsmith ones.

Dev

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:24 pm

you guys going there tomorrow na i'll see if i am going will let dev know.
as i would be driving down from noida you guys living in and around noda could join me
will confirm and tell tonight
Last edited by Sid_kapur30 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:13 pm

This Saturday Anupam, Dev, Sanjay and I finally made it down to Garg Armoury. We met the owner Rakesh Anand, Rakesh is a real gentleman of the old school and someone whom I'd gladly recommend dealing with. :)

Anupam picked up some .32 S&W Long ammo (KF)
Sanjay picked up a box of .32 ACP (KF), a box of 12g Clever Mirage slugs, a Tom Collins shoulder holster for his pistol and a Tom Collins shotgun case.
I picked up some Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP ammo, this ammo was from a 2006 batch and looked factory fresh... it was also priced reasonably (considering the Indian scenario). :)

All sales were made with a full "pukka" bill, all taxes paid... :)

FYI - he also has the following imported ammo in stock: .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, 7.62 Tokarev, .22 LR (Stingers), .22 Magnum etc. They have a license to import ammo and all of their ammo is directly imported by them.

We also tried out an Indian made air-rifle while there, which actually had a 2-stage trigger! Sweet trigger pull, though it was dieseling (probably over-oiled at the factory). Fit and finish left a little to be desired though... But not a bad air-rifle to have as a starter...

Also, saw a H&H double rifle which had been totally ruined by it's previous owner! :cry: The stock was in bad shape and the previous owner had had the rifling bored out to convert it into a 28g shotgun!! :evil: :cry: :cry: Broke my heart to see that gun... the engraving was marvellous though... also checked out a couple of .577 (I think) breech loading muskets, a few .410 SMLE muskets, a really old lever action rifle of some de.scription, a couple of ancient Italian made bolt action rifles (these were NOT Carcano M91) - Rakesh told us that these last ones were from a batch they picked up from the armoury of the erstwhile state of Bhopal.

Ended up drinking lots of tea, and boring Rakesh to death with our questions... finally got up to leave after having spent over 2 hours at the shop... all in all a really pleasant experience. :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:40 pm

OK, did a search and the closest looking rifle (to the Italian ones we saw) I could find is this one -

This one above is not exactly like the one we saw, but the distinctive rounded bolt and the shape of the magazine well is identical to what we saw at Garg Armoury...

It seems the rifle is a Vetterli model of some de.scription - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetterli_rifle
http://www.militaryrifles.com/Italy/ItalVetVitali.htm

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - He also has some (old) .375 (flanged) ammo with him. IIRC a member here was looking for this ammo sometime back... HTH
Last edited by mundaire on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:49 pm

i missed you guys by an hour or so, reached at 2. Went to check out that "SHOOTER" air rifle pretty cool though but the thing about the air-rifle being over oiled "Hell it ruined my favorite pair of shorts" but guys do you think that the rifle was worth a buy as in when i fired it the pellet came out a second later and went kind of awry
but the chances of me being wrong are pretty high and the pellet he put in was also a little disfigured could that be the reason, i believe you guys fired it as well, what say worth a buy or no ???????

Sid

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:20 pm

could that be the reason, i believe you guys fired it as well, what say worth a buy or no ???????

Sid
[/quote]

I somehow managed to stack two pellets into the same hole. And then Abhijeet put a third one on top of those two. The rifle seems to be built from the model 35 IHP but it has a ball bearing locking detent and the nicer trigger. I have requested Rakesh to see if a scope rail can be added and think it will be a very decent first air rifle.
An irregular pellet may have caused your experience and there definitely was too much oil on the rifle. As i recommended to you on the phone please wait for the more improved version. Life should get pretty interesting with it.
Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 pm

mundaire";p="29017 wrote: I picked up some Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP ammo, this ammo was from a 2006 batch and looked factory fresh...
Check it asap! There's a batch of factory fresh .30-06 180 grain rounds that are running hot - either the bolt does not open immediately after firing or the semi cannot extract the case. Rifles used were a 700 BDL, Pre-64 Mod. 70 and a Remington 742. Nothing wrong with the rifles as they are working well with other types of ammo.

Hopefully, your ammo wont have a problem but it's worth checking anyway.

Mack The Knife

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:09 pm

It was a real pleasure to meet and deal with Mr. Rakesh Anand of Garg Armoury. He is cool, soft spoken and there is no question of any hanky panky at his shop...

Yes, Dev shot two pellets - one over the other - amazingly... while i missed by an inch... he has really stable extremeties, i guess...

The best buy was ofcourse Abhijeet's 45 ammo which looked beautiful in the cake with packaging... I had never seen the transparent shotgun cartridges that Sanjay bought... The holster and gun case were nice stuff too...

It was a great learning experience and a couple of hours well spent in picking up knowledge about different kinds of guns and ammo...

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:30 pm

wish i could make it on time but had to be my mom's chauffeur (the one who gets taunted for every little thing)
Mr. Rakesh was a through gentleman and am waiting for that scope rail to be added to the Air-rifle :P hope he has instructed someone to get on with it

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: garg armoury offers special discounts for IFG Members

Post by jonahpach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Gargh Armoury! FYI This is the same guy who offered me a .32 PPK for 12 Lakhs!! last year.. I didnt have the heart to tell him I could get one "out of the box" for a quarter that any day any time here in Good Old Mizoram.. Bought 12 tins of P-10's to makeup for the taxi ride to old delhi and back.

Jonah

PS. Dev S.O.S. MAYDAY! _ _ _ . . . _ _ _ etc. with my MPR! Also pls convey my regards to the old Doc he might also be willing and able to help and this would be one mighty 'obliged' MAD Mizo.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!