Scope Mount for 30-06 Rifle

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Scope Mount for 30-06 Rifle

Post by Chengy » Mon May 02, 2016 1:50 pm

I own a 30-06 IOF rifle. Have obtained a Vortex Diamondback scope with Weavers rings and bases for mounting. The allen bolts provided with the base are too big for the holes drilled in the receiver of the rifle. I was looking for advice/comments on the following:-

Has anyone mounted the scope on the dovetail rail provided (11 mm). If yes, is the scope holding zero after a firing a couple of shots. IMHO dovetail rails are best suited for small recoil weapons like airguns and 0.22. Most probably this dovetail has been provided for a rear peep sight for competition shooting. Could someone throw light on this.

The holes drilled for the weaver/ picatinny mounts seem to be very small (its sized for a 3mm allen or torx bolt). Has any member fitted his mounts using 3mm bolts. Is the scope holding zero after that

Should I get the holes enlarged to take a 6mm/8mm bolt. Will this affect the receiver strength as it is made of aluminium.

Should I use aluminium or stainless steel mounts and bases. If stainless steel, will there be a problem with bi metallic corrosion later on as the receiver is aluminium

Any advice/comments from members would be much appreciated. I'm interested in correctly mounting the scope so that it holds zero

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Scope Mount for 30-06 Rifle

Post by xl_target » Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 pm

I believe Prashantsingh fitted Weaver bases to his 30-06.
Maybe he will chime in.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TariqPathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqPathan » Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 pm

I bought my mounts from Amazon , the scope i.e. Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 from Opticsplanet.com. the mounts fit perfectly. The two holes in the rifle where u fix the mount are small yes. Hence, I have marked that using a pen just to make sure that the mount has not moved. Fired over 40 rounds since. The scope is still holding zero. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chengy » Sat May 07, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks TariqPathan Can you give me the link to the amazon site from where you purchased the mounts. Also please confirm if you have mounted on the dovetail . Regards

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun May 08, 2016 8:53 am

Do look up the IOF .30-06 thread. Enough people have installed bases and mounts for this rifle. The thread will give you enough choice as to what and how you'd like to install bases and mounts.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chengy » Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 am

Dear Katana
I have gone through the thread. There is not enough information there. Most folks seem to have mounted on the 11mm dovetail provided . I am reluctant to do so as dovetails are best suited for low recoil .22LRs and airguns. I feel the dovetail has been provided for a rear peep sight for competition shooting. The normal bases available in Indian arms shops are for the American made 30-06. The IOF weapon has asymmetrically drilled holes with the forward two lower than the rear two. So bases available in India will have to be used with a shim, which I will only use as a last resort. Hence my query for help from experienced members of this forum.

Regards

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon May 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Please refer to the last post of the 3006 thread. The bases it provides the link to addresses the difference in height of the front and rear of the receiver.

Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chengy » Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi AgentDoubleS,

I checked the site as soon as you had posted. They don't ship to India. Few other sites like Cabelas also had the mounts but its a restricted item . So am still at square 1. I have the scope. It's just the bases and mounts that seem to be the problem. So guess will have to wait.

Regards

dan_al
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dan_al » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 pm

TariqPathan can you please elaborate how you got the scope through Opticsplanet, as most of the websites do not ship internationally.

Yogeshpagedar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Yogeshpagedar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi Chengy,

I have fitted a scope on my IOF , since last 2.5 years, the rail is made by Zubin from Pune weaver type and weaver mounts fit on them. this gun is zeroed and hits bang on till date there has not been any change on the settings done, i have fired almost 130 plus rounds since last setting done, though i do check it on paper after every 40 rounds i.e after 2 boxes are done. haven't needed any corrections yet. i shoot S&B 180 gr. the attached pics are shot at 35 yrds.

You can get in touch with Zubin as he is with us on this forum.

Regards,
Yogesh Pagedar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqThePathan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi,
Had some login issues while using Tapatalk. Anyways. Here attached is a copy of the bill/order.
how I did it is that I just ordered, paid (shipping cost almost 50$) and kept my fingers crossed. And voila a few days later ( I don't remember how long) the postman arrived with a box marked customs cleared and I got my bushnell in it..
I tried ordering from Amazon but Amazon did not allow shipping to India and directed me to the seller on Amazon I.e. Opticsplanet.
That was a long time ago. The scope was fantastic but too big for regular use and besides it's more suited for the plains. I Shifted to using a Chinese made illuminated REd And Green Discovery 6-18X44 for some time (cost me 13k).
Now am using a Bushnell TRS-25. It's really light weight and it's like using iron sights without magnification . However, it's fantastic for quick shooting. Attached is a pic from Amazon as well. But please do buy a mount along with it (in case you wanna buy one)so that it adapts to your 11mm dovetail ( these are suited for 20 mm) So I got one from leapers for that.
Sorry for the really late response.

Images removed as they had your full address! Please be careful while posting personal information on the public internet - Moderator

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Not a good idea to mount the scope on the 11 dovetail (not sure why they even have it, the original Sauer does not), as it will invariably shift due to recoil. You should in stead get scope bases which can be screwed in to the factory drilled & tapped mounting points on the receiver. Once the bases are fitted, use appropriate rings to mount the scope.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqThePathan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 pm

"Images removed as they had your full address! Please be careful while posting personal information on the public internet - Moderator"
Duly noted!! Will be careful next time.

:agree:
Wonder who would turn up for tea!!!