Do IOF Shotgun loads use mercury fulminate primers?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Dean Weingarten
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Do IOF Shotgun loads use mercury fulminate primers?

Post by Dean Weingarten » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:28 am

While doing research for a recent article, I found that an official website for the Indian government shows that 12 Bore ammunition is made with mercury fulminate primers. http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/am ... add_24.htm:

Case Made from bi-axially oriented HDPE plastic tubes

Primer Mercury fulminate based compo (23 to 29 mg)

Projectile Lead-Antimony alloy shots (Chilled)

Propellant Double base shotgun propellant (1.7 to 2.1 g)

All the mercury fulminate primers that I am familiar with also used potassium chlorate, and were corrosive.

Does anyone know if any of the 12 bore cartridges produced currently use mercury fulminate based primers?

If they do, they may be the last manufactures on earth to use that type of priming compound. It would be news, and I might do an article about it.

The official website says that mercury fuminate based priming compound is used. Before I take them at their word, I would like to read what members of this forum have to say. From my previous reading, many are very well informed and well educated.

Dean Weingarten

For Advertising mail webmaster
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Do IOF Shotgun loads us mercury fulminate primers?

Post by diskaon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:26 pm

The ammo is surely quite corrosive. I have seen the stuff that comes out while cleaning the barrel of a 12 gauge after about 25-30 shots. I have not had the opportunity to test imported stuff.

Using a 0.22LR (BSA model 15) i have seen the difference between kf and elley. kf leaves some residue while elley doesn't. I think its more of an issue of unburnt propellant than primer being corrosive.
klick klack..... diskaon

Dean Weingarten
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Dean Weingarten » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:34 am

Mercury fulminate based primers are not corrosive, but they weaken and destroy brass cases. As the shotgun hulls are usually paper and plastic, they would not be weaken by a mercury fulminate priming. I am curious as to if the IOF still used the very old mercury fulminate system in the shotgun primers.

I do not know an easy way to test it.

For corrosive primers, the test is to remove the projectile and powder. Here is one way to test the primers :

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... osive-ammo

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:10 pm

You might also be interested to know that IOF shotshells still use real brass for their bases. If one completely takes the shell apart (remove the paper case etc.), there is a steel plate visible on the inside bottom of the brass base, probably to add strength.

This is unlike almost all the freshly imported shotshells I've seen, which seem to use steel which is polished/ plated to give the look of brass.

I really don't know why they use brass in stead of steel, as steel would most certainly be much cheaper.

The primers are also not of the "usual" shotshell (self contained) variety, but of the older type, not sure of the correct term.

The residue left behind by these shells (in the barrel) is almost certainly due to shredded bits of the cardboard wadding/ overwad and not due to unburnt powder or anything else I can think of.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Dean Weingarten
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Do IOF Shotgun loads use mercury fulminate primers?

Post by Dean Weingarten » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Very interesting. I would love to see a picture of the primer and primer pocket. Could you measure the diameter of the primer?

A sectioned view of a case would be very enlightening.