check out this ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

check out this ammo

Post by mismisra » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 pm

I wrote to guys about the gun yesterday , i an now att some pic of the ammo i inherited along with t . could some body enlighten me on the age type etc . Mos shells are faded trust me these are te best pic.
:twisted: electron

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Eley - Grand Prix smokeless diamond, most of them. Circa 1950s 1960s. These are 2 1/2 inch 12 Bore cartridges.

The green one is either a lethal or sperical ball. Mot probably lethal ball. Do not attempt to fire this in a choke barrel.

They will not fire in 9 cases out of 10. However you can open them and use the shots. These are 1 1/16 oz loads with 3 1/4 dram eq. of powder. Open one cartridge. You will find felt wads and a dark green colour nitrocellulose type powder in there. The no. 6 with serial printed overwad seems to be a KF Special again from the 1970s era. Post a side pic of the cartridge case it can be identified better.

The ones on which the charge is mentioned are American cartridges. Western or Winchester.

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: check out this ammo

Post by mismisra » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 pm

side pic

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:41 pm

MM,

I can see some LG and SSG markings on the ammo shown above... even though these are too old to work, do keep in mind that ALL BUCKSHOT (LG, SG, SSG, etc.) ammo is now ILLEGAL in India. For a more detailed discussion on the subject see this thread - http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=2358

As per law you need to either destroy them or deposit them etc. You simply are NOT allowed to possess these shot numbers in India any more (stupid, but that's the law!).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Why shouldn`t they work ? Providing the cartridges are properly stored their shelf life can be a very long time - maybe even more than 100 years. Presumably you`re suggesting that the damp has got to them ? Which seems quite likely.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:52 pm

Just remember that when breaking down old cartridges that have been exposed to damp, lead oxide will almost certainly have formed on the shot and is extremely toxic - such shot should not be handled with bare hands.
The plural of `shot`( as in lead shot ) by the way is `shot` - not `shots`.

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 am

thanks guys needless to worry about the legal part and also the reuse ( i am just collecting ) any comments on theantique value. They are all duds

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 am

In my village house there is still quite a large collection of every number form No. 1 to 12. Belonging to my late Grandfather and his late brothers. These were usually purchased from Manton & CO. of Calcutta at the rate of Rs. 16 per hundred and were shipped to our village by Railway parcel from Calcutta.

In my own house rummaging through old boxes, chest of drawers, they keep surfacing. In old rooms in the wing where my Grandfather's Kachehri ( Indian equivalent of study room and public audience room ) was I often encounter literature, books, game books of old and empty shells of all kinds of calibres of guns / rifles.

Many of my cousins / relatives from my village find it among their possesions and bring it back to me.

Various other shooters over the last couple of years brought batches of such cartridges to me. I have built a collection for keepsake with some, for others I used the shot in Astrams or our 4 out of 5 KF specials.

Last year I tried firing these cartridges. All of them failed to fire. I had fired a few from a relatively newer lot, of 1970s circa, in 1989 during a camping out session. There was a 70 % miss rate.

The reson is moisture creeping in. The Indian Barsaat ( Monsoons ) can be treacherous.

Open the SSG and count the pellets. It patterns very well in a 5 / 6 / 5 layer of 16 lead shot ( not shots ). I would love to have them.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:56 pm

MM,

This not about we being needlessly worried or your harmless intention of collecting them.The law says that we must not possess them and if you find any must immediately destroy or deposit with the police and that is exactly we must do.Hope that is clear.

This not being harsh at all.A rather straight forward explanation of what the law says and where we stand.

It will help needless legal harassment for you and for the rest of the gun owners.

Safe shooting-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:01 pm

Nobod is abover the law fortuntely there are provisions for ceartain people to stow ammo in govt armoury .Hope you understand

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 pm

shahid";p="27052 wrote: In my village house there is still quite a large collection of every number form No. 1 to 12. Belonging to my late Grandfather and his late brothers. These were usually purchased from Manton & CO. of Calcutta at the rate of Rs. 16 per hundred and were shipped to our village by Railway parcel from Calcutta.

In my own house rummaging through old boxes, chest of drawers, they keep surfacing. In old rooms in the wing where my Grandfather's Kachehri ( Indian equivalent of study room and public audience room ) was I often encounter literature, books, game books of old and empty shells of all kinds of calibres of guns / rifles.

Many of my cousins / relatives from my village find it among their possesions and bring it back to me.

Various other shooters over the last couple of years brought batches of such cartridges to me. I have built a collection for keepsake with some, for others I used the shot in Astrams or our 4 out of 5 KF specials.

Last year I tried firing these cartridges. All of them failed to fire. I had fired a few from a relatively newer lot, of 1970s circa, in 1989 during a camping out session. There was a 70 % miss rate.

The reson is moisture creeping in. The Indian Barsaat ( Monsoons ) can be treacherous.

Open the SSG and count the pellets. It patterns very well in a 5 / 6 / 5 layer of 16 lead shot ( not shots ). I would love to have them.
Only solution is keep these cartridges in sunshine for 1-2 hours but avoid opening it.I fired with my brand new gun with 1960s and50s or 70s made it was very successful only 2 out of 30 failed to fire but gun must be new. but incase of not firing wait for atleast 3-5 mintues before taking out the shell. regards

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:13 am

MM

Can you elaborate on "Nobod is abover the law fortuntely there are provisions for ceartain people to stow ammo in govt armoury"?

Best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:08 am

Only solution is keep these cartridges in sunshine for 1-2 hours but avoid opening it.I fired with my brand new gun with 1960s and50s or 70s made it was very successful only 2 out of 30 failed to fire but gun must be new.
I have tried this on two occassions with my father-in-law's shotgun ammo and it has failed to work. I guess it depends on the degree and duration of dampness that the ammo has been exposed to.

On the other hand, a neighbour's house was flooded some years back and his ammo took a bit of a drowning. However, once dried, these worked without a problem.

There is no reason why the gun has to be new. If it can fire fresh cartridges, it will fire the above type as well, assuming the cartridges can be revived.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:20 am

Guys these cart are mostly of no use i have had then for over 20 yrs .As has been brought out the are stowed in the ser armoury.Nobody stops you fon tking pic,There is an 80yr old armourer from the Madras Reg on the Hills of Wellington India.HE can resurrect these rounds.One should have seen te glow in his eyes.mm

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:37 am

Mismisra,

As has already been pointed out,LG and SG rounds are illegal and so will attract penal provisions of the Arms Act.There is no provision in the Arms Act or Rules for a person to collect cartridges.The fact that these cartridges may not fire does not absolve the person holding them of any illegality.A cartridge,no matter how old, is covered by the provisions of the Arms Act and Rules.Even parts of a cartridge are covered by the Arms Act.Your uniform would not make you immune to prosecution.Even if the ammo is kept in the unit armory,it still belongs to you.If anybody decides to report you,you will be in deep shit.As per law these cartridges had to be deposited with the Police after the expiry of the period prescribed in the notification banning them, or got converted to numbered shot within that period.

No offense meant,but I have seen that people from the Armed forces (with some exceptions)are laughably ignorant of the laws on certain issues.

If you are going to "resurrect" these old cartridges,keep in mind that many of the older cartridges used corrosive primers.

penpusher