SUB SONIC/ SUPER SONIC AMMUNITION QUESTION?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

SUB SONIC/ SUPER SONIC AMMUNITION QUESTION?

Post by aadhaulya » Fri May 15, 2015 9:29 pm

I have learnt over here about sub sonic ammunition for .22 LR. then I am sure there must be ammunition available in 'super sonic' configuration also. My questions are as follows.

1. Is it available in India?? If yes, then I will find it or take hepl in finding it.
2. Is it safe enough to use in the IOF .22 revolver or an IOF .22 rifle??

Regards

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: SUB SONIC/ SUPER SONIC AMMUNITION QUESTION?

Post by xl_target » Sat May 16, 2015 12:37 am

In dry air at 20 °C, the speed of sound is 343.59 metres per second (1,127 ft/s).
wikipedia

Any ammo travelling over that velocity can be referred to as Supersonic and any travelling below that velocity is termed subsonic.
Velocities of some popular CCI .22 LR ammo:
MaxiMag - 1875 fps
Stinger - 1640 fps
MiniMag - 1235 fps (40 grain)
Standard Velocity - 1070 fps

Remington subsonic ammo is at 1050 fps.
Remington Golden Bullet (horrible stuff) is at 1255 fps.

In a .22LR bolt action rifle, if the round fits the chamber, it should be OK. However, CCI stinger can cause issues in some rifles as it is a little longer than the standard rounds.
In some older rifles, there might be an issue with some of the higher velocity rounds because the rifle might not be up to modern standards.
If you are in doubt, just use standard velocity ammunition. Usually the muzzle velocity is printed on the box.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat May 16, 2015 2:27 am

aadhaulya wrote:I have learnt over here about sub sonic ammunition for .22 LR. then I am sure there must be ammunition available in 'super sonic' configuration also. My questions are as follows.

1. Is it available in India?? If yes, then I will find it or take hepl in finding it.
2. Is it safe enough to use in the IOF .22 revolver or an IOF .22 rifle??

Regards

Atul
You have to know what barrel length the velocity was tested from. Even high velocity supersonic ammo is usually subsonic from a revolver (all but the absolute fastest). We generally like to keep it under 1080 near sea level to be subsonic due to pressure, temperature and humidity - all of which affect speed of sound. But that is for the purpose of using a silencer.

Quiz: Which is heavier, wet air or dry air?

I see XL doesn't think Remington Golden is very high quality. That is a very common opinion. It is not the best ammo out there, but it is not bad, either. In the US it is the recommended ammo for the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits for Glock and 1911 handguns, which I have, and it works well. It is also the recommended ammo for the MAX-11/22 22 caliber full auto submachinegun conversion kit and works well in that. All conversion kits in .22 can be tricky, especially full auto, and the fact that manufacturers try to build their kits around the Remington Golden (largely due to availability combined with reasonable power and quality) means it's not THAT bad.

Back to your question, you are asking the right question. Is it safe? I would assume most ammo would function in that revolver (provided it is safe) and that you likely wouldn't get a very high degree of accuracy based on the reputation I see for the firearm here.

Anything CCI is usually fairly good ammo, with the Standard (barely subsonic from rifle barrel) being very accurate. The Wolf match quality ammo is also very accurate. Not sure what is available there.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat May 16, 2015 6:34 pm

XL and PA,

Thanks for your input. My main concern is using these in an IOF revolver that is supposed to be a light weight aluminium (probably an alloy). Would this more powerful round be ok for this little toy.

Regards

Atul

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun May 17, 2015 7:41 am

Unless the manufacturer warns against the use of certain ammunition in a certain pistol or rifle, and the weapon is proofed, it will be safe to fire with any kind of commercial .22 LR ammo, sub- or supersonic. Function may be a concern in some semi-autos, but safety is not.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun May 17, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks TwoRivers, got it.

Regards

Atul

Husain
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Husain » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:20 am

It is perfectly safe to use CCI STINGERS & MINI MAGS, WINCHESTER TOP SHOT etc. in the IOF.22 revolvers, a friend of mine uses them regularly in his .22 IOF revolver for years now and there hasn't been any kind of complaint, he has fired upwards of 200 rounds in the last few years, and the best part is the louder crack of the shot fired.