Rings and scope for my Brno model 1 rifle

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Rings and scope for my Brno model 1 rifle

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:53 am

Warne 1in PA CZ 527 16mm Dovetail High Rifle Scope Rings-thinking of fitting these alongwith a suitable 1 inch scope fit for a a max shooting range of 100 yards.please advise.my rifle rails are 16 mm size.am confused between high and medium mounts because have to ensure adequate upward bolt travel as also retain accuracy-hence the choice is between a med or a high mount-frankly dont need high mounts if the job gets done by med mounts but need advice from similar brno rifle owners etc .any affordable 1 inch scopes also may please be suggested.plan to procure them from the USA market.thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Rings and scope for my Brno model 1 rifle

Post by andy_65_in » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:55 pm

so many views but no replies-what a PITY. :(

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:03 am

I don't own a BRNO rifle but I can offer you some advice on picking a scope for it.

Buy the scope first before you buy the rings.
Since it is a .22LR to be used in India, legally all you can do is shoot paper (or similar targets) with it. Stay away from the "Tactical" type of reticles.
If you want to shoot to 100 yards with precision, you are going to need more than a 3X9 scope.
You are going to want a scope with an adjustable objective for a .22 LR that will be shot from close range upto your 100 yard limit.
If you're just plinking, a 3X9 scope will be enough. For that matter a fixed 3 or 4 power scope would be fine.

For most .22LR scopes, low or medium rings work fine unless you have a very large objective on your scope.
You only need high rings if your scope touches the barrel with medium rings.

When you say affordable, what do you mean? Under $50, under $100 or under $500?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:15 am

Warne or Weaver rings with a Leupold FX1 4x32 scope. Best combination I can think of.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:11 pm

xl_target wrote:I don't own a BRNO rifle but I can offer you some advice on picking a scope for it.

Buy the scope first before you buy the rings.
Since it is a .22LR to be used in India, legally all you can do is shoot paper (or similar targets) with it. Stay away from the "Tactical" type of reticles.
If you want to shoot to 100 yards with precision, you are going to need more than a 3X9 scope.
You are going to want a scope with an adjustable objective for a .22 LR that will be shot from close range upto your 100 yard limit.
If you're just plinking, a 3X9 scope will be enough. For that matter a fixed 3 or 4 power scope would be fine.

For most .22LR scopes, low or medium rings work fine unless you have a very large objective on your scope.
You only need high rings if your scope touches the barrel with medium rings.

When you say affordable, what do you mean? Under $50, under $100 or under $500?
any scope 1 inch which gives comfortable field of view upto 100 yards and costs b elow $ 100.00, basically a AO type.will a high mount be more comfortable for sighting purpose coz i am worried about a medium mount affecting the bolt travel -the rings cant be changed once brought all the eway from USA

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 am

how can i correctly measure the dovetail size

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 am

Go to rimfirecentral.com and check out the CZ/Brno section.
There are some very knowledgeable people there.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... .jpg--used this method but the 15 mm size i get is confusing versus the 16 mm generally found with brno m odel 1.mine is a1950 rifle

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Racking my ancient brain I`m pretty sure that early Brno rimfire rifles used a 5/8 inch dovetail which corresponds to 16mm ( also called 15mm. ) Some also referred to it as a 13mm dovetail - it depends whether you measure between the lower outsides of the dovetail or the innermost points.
Do you need low, medium or high mounts ? I don`t know because it depends on the bolt clearance AND the diameter of the objective lens of the telescope. You will definitely need high mounts if your scope has a 56mm objective. The likelihood is that you will need medium mounts with a 40mm or 32 mm objective. It can vary a little from make to make .... but only a very small amount.
As regards which scope you should get it`s generally reckoned that a 3-9x40 makes a pretty well ideal hunting scope. Now I know that you`re not allowed to hunt in India but don`t make the mistake of thinking that you only need a small - eg, x4 power fixed scope - because you will find it inadequate. I used to use a .22 lr for small game hunting out to 100 yards and more and if you`re considering longer range plinking you should get a scope with a decent amount of magnification. A 3-9x40 will be fine as I said but there`s no reason why you shouldn`t go up to x12.
Basic rule of buying a scope is to buy the best that you can afford. Cheap scopes are cheap because they`re built cheaply of cheap materials. It used to be said that you should pay at least as much for the scope as for the rifle but India`s situation as regards firearms prices would mean spending a ridiculous amount of money on a scope.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:06 am

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 6znjlc.jpg

Grumpy this is the size of my brno dovetails hence was wondering what rings to order as both 15 and 16 mm are availaible in 1 inch size. i have to accomodate bolt travel also

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:45 am

andy_65_in wrote:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 6znjlc.jpg

Grumpy this is the size of my brno dovetails hence was wondering what rings to order as both 15 and 16 mm are availaible in 1 inch size. i have to accomodate bolt travel also
Since your vernier reads 14.88 - 15mm should be ideal!
Briha

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:15 pm

where can i source them in 15 mm size-usa or uk.sportsmatch or ?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Get them from Sportsmatch but email first and ask their advice. I would include a photograph of your vernier gauge measuring across the dovetails as it looks like the calipers are actually in the dovetails in your photograph above. Sportsmatch are excellent at responding to queries - I`ve had an ongoing correspondence with them about the weird picatinny type rail that one of my rifles has which is a completely different size from any known mount. :)
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:24 pm

andy_65_in wrote:where can i source them in 15 mm size-usa or uk.sportsmatch or ?
Dear Andy,

I have got a scope 1" for my 30.06 IOF rifle from Italy. The scope had a 15mm or about that size dove tail mounting ring. I had to use an adapter to convert 11mm to 15mm to mount the scope. This made the scope very high as per the photograph attached.

Finally I purchased a set of mounting rings from Kovibazar and mounted the scope directly on the rifle without any adapter.
Now these 15mm scope rings for 3-9X40 scope are of no use to me.

If you visit Gurgaon kindly PM me and if you find it suitable for your use, you are most welcome to pick them up.

Regards

PS: Moderators I hope it is not against the forum rules to offer something to another member as this is not a sale and if Andy finds it suitable for his use I am not charging him anything

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Andy,

I am back home so let me explain in detail, as per the pics with comments.
This is what happened with the original 15 mm scope rings that I got with the scope.

Then I bought 11mm rings that are easily available and mounted it without adapters. The height of the scope came down and was comfortable for use
With the bolt open

Now we come to the adapters and rings (15mm)
These are the 15 mm rings

Rings with adapters

The opposite sides of the adapters used to convert 15 mm original to 11 mm (rifle rail size)

Hope the above is clear or maybe some senior members can pitch in to clarify further doubts.

Regards