Unsafe Ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Unsafe Ammo

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:28 pm

aadhaulya wrote:If you are supposed to fire only if the description of the cartridges matches the one written on the gun, Why do people publish the documents attached in my first post? Or may be it is not an official document issued by a reputed agency (Or so it seems from the name).
Really, aadhaulya, your keeping after this matter is beginning to sound obtuse.

Did you READ the document? I says at the beginning:
The discharge of ammunition in a firearm that is not designed to shoot that ammunition can be dangerous and can result in serious injury or death to the user and/or bystanders, as well as damage to the firearm.

. . .

Remember just because a round of ammunition can fit into a firearm's chamber, barrel or action does not mean it is safe to use that ammunition in the firearm.

Due to the availability of many different shapes and sizes of ammunition and firearms, there are countless unsafe ammunition-firearm combinations such that a comprehensive list of unsafe combinations is neither feasible, nor practicable. Below is a list of some unsafe combinations that are well known because of somewhat similar chamber and ammunition dimensions.
1. Surely, you recognize that some combinations, like firing a .38 Special in a .357 Magnum or firing a .22 Short in a .22 Long Rifle chambered gun are both possible and permissible.

2. Did you read the document's point that, just because a cartridge can be chambered doesn't mean that it's safe?

3. Did you read the document's point that it isn't practical to list every combination of what fits what?

4. Is SAAMI "official"? ("Or may be it is not an official document issued by a reputed agency (Or so it seems from the name).") Look, I don't want to be insulting, but I have to wonder: are you competent to handle a gun when you cannot even google the term "saami" and answer this question for yourself? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_A ... _Institute) <shakes head> Come along, sir, you can do better than to sling such stuff around here!

5. Doing what you describe is, in fact, not safe, even though it was done during wartime by resistance fighters in the Phillipines (and perhaps other places). Surely, you realize that unsafe things are done during wartime as a matter of exigency?

6. Do you know that whether the pipe you used was made of stainless or not isn't the issue? The important issue is whether the pipe is seamless or not. Just to offer my own opinion, if you are not managing google, I question whether you can judge which pipe is safe (or, rather, safer, as neither is really safe) in the application you describe.

7. You would not have known (or you would not have asked "why?") that shotgun ammunition is loaded to produce pressures that are much much much much lower than rifle cartridges. Therefore, your example of what you got away with regarding shotgun ammunition is not comparable to your original question regarding chambering various cartridges in your .30-'06.

8. 3/4" (0.750") ID pipe is still larger than a shotgun bore. This allows the escape of gasses around the wad and shot, or projectile, reducing the pressure. However, as you noted (and which is not a surprise), the shotgun shell hull still split because it was overloaded.

9. When a rifle cartridge does not fit the rifle chamber properly, it will similarly split the brass case, like your shotgun shell example. This will spill gasses into the action, and these gasses are quite hot and on the order of 50,000 psi. Do you understand what this means? At this point, your eyes and maybe life are dependent on the ability of your rifle to handle these gasses and vent them away from your face. Personally, I still would feel safe behind a real military Mauser M98, rather than anything else in this situation. The bolt sleeve acts like a seal and keeps gasses from blowing back along the locking lug raceways and into the shooters face. The bolt vents gasses that enter the primer hole (yes, buddy, this is a big deal, as you should imagine that all the air in a large room is squeezed into a very tiny set of clearances, and the power it contains is immense -- it can blow up the gun if not vented correctly!) and is expelled into the magazine through vents in the bottom of the bolt. The thumb cut in the left rail of the action allows gasses to vent, as well.

10. Have you ever had a case split open in your face? (I asked you this once already.) I have: three cartridges opened up on me while shooting a M1903 Springfield. I took a blast in the face each time and it was not very pleasant.

Moderators, why don't you lock this thread? The valid points have all been made, and I don't think our members are served well by facilitating a platform where silly arguments are made. We have a serious gun community here.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman