PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO AMMO SMOKE

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Jeet3
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO AMMO SMOKE

Post by Jeet3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

Hello all at IFG. I would like to place a query in regards to health hazards.

DOES GUN SMOKE (OR IN FACT AMMO SMOKE) POSE A HEALTH HAZARD DUE TO PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO IT? For instance lung diseases or cancer etc? Kindly post your views. Thanks.

Jeet
Watch where you point your weapon, look beyond and around the target and know what you are using as your ammo. A safe handler of guns is a respected handler of guns.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO AMMO SMOKE

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am

Like petrol gun smoke has 'lead particles' .so it can cause lead poisoning,but i don't know how lethal it can be.
regards
dr.jk

Jeet3
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Jeet3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Dr. Jay. I would love to have more info on this subject in order to know the effects of a weekly attendance at a firing range. Although an open or exhaust ported firing range should be safer in comparison to a non exhaust or indoor firing range.

Thanks so much for your input doc.

Jeet
Watch where you point your weapon, look beyond and around the target and know what you are using as your ammo. A safe handler of guns is a respected handler of guns.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 am

A quick search on Google Guru didn't turn up much. Probably the most exposed would be soldiers in a war, and they would have many other health hazards floating around. Once a week shouldn't be much of an issue, unless the place is really ill-ventilated and people are going through hundreds of rounds.

You can check out this link....http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html

On a lighter note, if you smoke, you needn't be concerned!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:Like petrol gun smoke has 'lead particles' .so it can cause lead poisoning,but i don't know how lethal it can be.
regards
dr.jk
That would only be true if the bullet were bare lead, and the priming compound were a lead-based one. Most modern primers no longer contain lead. Soldiers, fighting in open air, would not be affected by lead contamniation of air they breathe. The toxicity of lead being vastly exaggerated in any case.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Exposure to gunsmoke once a week should pose no more health problem than your drive to the range in our polluted cities.
That apart.. I do love the smell of gunsmoke :) and believe me, i have had more than adequate exposure to gunsmoke and am still hale and hearty :D
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.