Magtech Ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
viveks2
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Magtech Ammo

Post by viveks2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Today I called Sharda Gun House, Delhi and told me that Magtech Ammo :skeet: for .32 IOF Revolver costs 550/- per piece :roll: {that's tooooo much!!}

Is there anyone who has got Magtech in less than this?? Or, is there any other Imported Ammo which we can use in our .32 Revolver IOF?

Thanks,
VS :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
viveks2
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Magtech Ammo

Post by viveks2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Guys...Can you please help me on this?

Regards,

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Vivek

Legally there are only two ways of importing any caliber of ammo that is manufactured in India by IOF. Either when a person comes from abroad he can carry a max of 50 if his license permits it or by NRAI which is there after distributed to its state affiliated clubs. The ammo which your dealer has ( is it a Wad-cutter ) is actually for sport shooters illegally sold to dealers. I buy this at my state level rifle association for 28 rs a pop. But have to return the empty cartridges after firing them. The price what ever it be the product cannot be legally sold. Buying it therefore is encouraging this illegal trade. http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-dn ... ll-1718213
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:33 am

Not an answer, but a comment: I really wonder how a bullet -- any bullet -- moving at 775 f/s and with 130 ft-lbs of energy can be expected to reliably expand in the first place, and even if it does, how much penetration it could actually achieve.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 am

timmy wrote:Not an answer, but a comment: I really wonder how a bullet -- any bullet -- moving at 775 f/s and with 130 ft-lbs of energy can be expected to reliably expand in the first place, and even if it does, how much penetration it could actually achieve.
What are you referring to timmy, I do understand that a .32 SW L has a muzzle velocity of 775 out of a 5 inch barrel...

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 am

It takes energy to expand a bullet.

It takes energy to drive a bullet through something solid.

It takes more energy to drive a large diameter bullet through something solid than it does to drive a small diameter bullet through that same solid material.

There is a valid concern that a .45 caliber bullet fired from a .45 ACP pistol will expand reliably at 800 to 900 f/s velocity.

The idea that a .32 hollow point will expand reliably at 775 f/s is suspect.

And, with such limited energy as a .32 S&W Long has (about the same as .32 ACP), I really doubt that, even if the .32 S&W Long does expand, that it will have enough energy to penetrate about 300 mm into the target. It may be doing well to penetrate that much, even if it does not expand.

Then, what if the bullet encounters thick clothing, bone, or something else solid? Will it still penetrate far enough, or will the bullet's energy be expended on expanding and stop before a vital area is reached.

I would feel a lot better about using a hollow point bullet in a high powered cartridge like 357 Magnum or 9mm, than in a relatively low powered round like .32 S&W Long or .32 ACP. Expansion takes energy, as does penetration. Energy is like money; you cannot spend it twice. If there is a limited amount available from the beginning, it is questionable to me that a hollow point bullet will work under real world conditions. But in these matters, each person has to choose what they think is right, based on the science of the matter. Personally, I'm not convinced, which is why I put my .32 ACP CorBons up.

Harry S. Truman

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 am

All your points are true Timmy. A .32 is not a very effective round when it comes to penetration and long range targets. But in Indian we really don't have much of a choice. We are limited to .32 in both revolvers and pistols. I have fired a few thousand .32 SW L Wad-cutters and well they are powerful if fired from a Target Pistol which has a 120 mm Barrel and a 22 cms sight radius most of my hits with in a 9 point ring at a 25 meter range.

I did try my Ashani pistol with my IOF ammo at the 25 meter range, with the shot barrel and sight radius I could manage 3 hits in the 5 ring out of the 14 shots I fired. Must mention here that the bang is 50 percent louder and while I did not have ballistic gel or any other material to test with I don't doubt its power over the SW L. it tore the target sheet in three shots. I have no doubt it would do the job even at 90 to 100 feet.

While 9 mm needs a prohibited bore license which is limited to terrorist prone areas a 357 magnum would be my choice, a Smith and Wesson R8 would be it if I ever manage to make a Transfer of Residence.

While at this point of time the imported arms in India are limited to what was imported prior to 1986 there is new notification by the DGFT that TR weapons can now be sold after 10 years of import or after the licensee has attained the age of sixty. Hopefully we would see these weapons coming out for sale and at reasonable prices in a few years from now.

More over statistics show that most gun fights take place within a distance of 20 to 30 feet. It has a lot to do with your presence of mind and the ability to maneuver the weapon.
Last edited by farook on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:31 am

The point i am making is not the choice of cartridge. I understand that .32 S&W Long and .32 ACP are the only widely available choices.

My point has to do with choosing bullets for .32 S&W Long and .32 ACP: does one choose a solid or hollow point type of bullet? That is the issue/choice that my comments address.

Harry S. Truman

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:36 am

While we don't have hollow points in India this video should give a clear picture as to which is better

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:46 am

Farook, if this video lays out all of the issues involved in bullet choices for all calibers for you, that is wonderful. Suit yourself and choose what you wish.

For other IFG members, please keep in mind that this video only illustrates a principle without regard to cartridge power or caliber, and also remember that shooting milk jugs full of water does not represent a true portrayal of what happens when a bullet strikes a target (gaudy and spectacular as this demonstration may be to those who don't understand the principles of the issue), nor can penetration of the bullet be measured at all, a point which, as they say, should be intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

Harry S. Truman

viveks2
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by viveks2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Great Info guys...thanks :)

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks has to come with something Vivek , Do we have your word that you won't encourage this illegal trade...

viveks2
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by viveks2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Farook....I was never and will never be in favor to encourage such illegal activities/trade !!

Thanks,

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:00 am

Most people who use .32 ACP or .32 S&W use solids to assure penetration.
Hornady has recently announced that they will release .32 ammo that is guaranteed to expand.
That's all well and good but how much penetration will you get once the ammo has expanded?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 am

You've got that right, XL. Just like it takes so much horsepower to push a car through the air and more to push a bus, it takes so much power to push a certain diameter bullet to a certain depth and more to push a larger one to the same depth.

I will really be interested in seeing the bullets you have mentioned be tested under various circumstances. If a 32 ACP will really be able to do the work of a 9mm, I want to run out and buy as much KelTec stock as I can!

Harry S. Truman