Steel Case vs Brass Case Ammunition

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Steel Case vs Brass Case Ammunition

Post by farook » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi Guys

Was wondering if I could get some information on steel case vs brass case ammunition of various calibers. It does appear some of the most expensive ammo is in steel case....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Steel Case vs Brass Case Ammunition

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:45 pm

few thoughts
steel tends to be more abrasive then brass
Steel is less good at sealing off the chamber then brass.
steel is more prone to rust.
steel can do damage to the chamber.
brass is more expensive then steel
brass is softer and more forgiving them steel
Steel case in chrome lined barrel can cut through chrome
Steel case can rip off the extractor lip

check out
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-v ... ased-ammo/
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:13 pm

This happens to be one of my favorite, Gold dot, and is one of the most expensive, do see most of what they make is in steel....

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx
Last edited by farook on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Another one of my favourite brand they make it both in brass and steel.....was wondering why

http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 am

Farook: Please read the product descriptions of your favorites more closely. Both the Speer Gold Dot and the Hornady ammo you refer to have nickel plated brass cases, not steel.

Nickel plating is often done on ammunition that is carried in belt loops by law enforcement, in order to prevent verdigris corrosion from the leather tanning and other environmental conditions resulting from this method of carry.

Steel cartridge cases were developed successfully and used by the bolsheviks and later, their satellite Warsaw Pact states like Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, etc. These cases often, but not always, are characterized by a dark greenish color resulting from a coating of varnish -- used to deter rust.

The Soviets used steel cases and also steel bullet jacketing in order to make more of their copper resources available for other war munitions needs. Russians have been quite skilled in these sorts of things since the days of Mendeleev, and because these cartridges were intended for war use, and not for sporting use, they functioned well. However, since the fall of bolshevism, the Russians wanted to take advantage of the technology and manufacturing facilities they had, and the export of ammunition (for both military and civilian markets) was aggressively pursued.

The steel used by the Russian brands of ammunition is made to duplicate the properties of brass, just as the steel jacket of the bullets are made to duplicate the qualities of conventional gilding metal jackets. Brass has self-lubricating properties that steel does not, however, as well as having a different degree of fatigue resistance. The steel cases can be sticky, and sometimes the protective lacquer on the cases could cause them to stick in a hot and roughly finished chamber. This is one reason why SKS and AK actions are said to be "overpowered": to ensure that a sticky empty cartridge is reliably ejected.

I have fired, and have a fair supply of 9mm "Brown Bear" ammo, steel cased with conventional gilding metal jacketed ball. Also, I have a fair amount of 7.62x39, which is both steel cased and steel FMJ. Then, I have quite a bit of 7.62x54r surplus with steel cases and jacketed lead core bullets. All of this has been good, serviceable ammunition. The Hungarian 7.63x54r is accurate and consistent, which is why I like it so much for my Mosin Nagants.

For my Finnish M39, I have found that the Barnaul steel cased 204 grain round nose (a lead core bullet with an exposed lead nose, jacketed with gilding metal) sporting ammunition is quite accurate. Perhaps this is because the Finns engineered their M39 for relatively heavy 185 grain D166 ammo. I have found this "everyday" steel cased sporting ammo to be superior to much more expensive HPBT match stuff! So, my own personal experience with steel cased ammo has been good, and when I do not intend to reload it, I find the Russian steel ammo quite serviceable.

However, please do not judge the material of cartridge cases by appearance. The premium self defense ammo you refer to is not steel, but nickel plated brass.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks for the insight Timmy

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Steel cartridge cases were developed by the Germans during WWI, Germany lacking adequate copper deposits. After initial set backs satisfactory results were achieved, with cases functioning in both machine guns and bolt rifles. During WWII steel cases were used in all small arm calibers. The United States produced steel cased .45 ACP ammunition during WWII. Steel bullet jacket material was widely used almost as soon as jacketed bullets came into use.
With the German technology at their disposal after the war, the Soviets switched their case production to steel, even to the .22 RF.