RIP bullets

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

RIP bullets

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 am

What do you guys make of this:

http://bearingarms.com/g2-researchs-r-i ... eed-um-no/

I think it has limited and specific uses and not as an all around defence cartridge.
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: RIP bullets

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:54 am

The author of the article mentions multi-projectile rounds like MagSafe and Glaser. These things, as he points out, are oriented toward minimizing collateral damage in densely packed shooting situations, like crowded streets or inside a house. It is almost a shotgun-like approach, and similar issues, I think, arise, which is why the author seems a bit unconvinced regarding them.

Like a shotgun's pellets, these fragments have to cause enough internal damage, requiring them to penetrate deeply enough to cause vital internal processes to cease. It's not a matter of making impressive looking cavities in ballistic gel, although that might be indicative of what one might expect in a body.

I still have to go back to the FBI paper that's been posted here, the findings of which stipulates:
Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, "too little penetration will get you killed."
There could be a use for these -- but I would think that a fairly powerful cartridge is going to be needed to drive enough fragments deep enough to do the job.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:18 am

Hi timmy,
You are right. I am guessing these would also have a use for sky marshals onboard aircraft

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 am

No thanks.
You own every shot you fire. If a fragment of a bullet fired from your gun, injures a bystander, you will most probably be held liable. I'll stick to the tried and true commercial hollow points.
Did you notice how many of those "petals" exited the ballistic gel and continued on? In one segment, it shows those petals separating after hitting a water balloon! Also, I don't want that much penetration. Did you see it exit the concrete block? A perfect bullet should dump all its energy into the target and stop just short of exiting. It looks like there would be too much collateral damage from that bullet.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:16 am

I wonder if someone tried shooting ballistic gel with buckshot. I am guessing that would also have the shot running off in different directions.