Problem with IOF 32 S.W Long Ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Problem with IOF 32 S.W Long Ammo

Post by Amit357 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Guys i faced a problem with my revolver the other day when i fired 2 IOF ctgs,they both jammed in the cylinder,had burn marks all over the cases when i pulled them out,they went off like i was firing a 45 :shock: ,i fired S& Bs,Remingtons without any problems,went to my Gunsmith today & he told me not to use IOF as he had two other Revolvers { S&W & IOF} which had jammed cases,has any member faced similar problems.I have an Astra Revolver.Best Amit

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Problem with IOF 32 S.W Long Ammo

Post by TC » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Amit357 wrote:Guys i faced a problem with my revolver the other day when i fired 2 IOF ctgs,they both jammed in the cylinder,had burn marks all over the cases when i pulled them out,they went off like i was firing a 45 :shock: ,i fired S& Bs,Remingtons without any problems,went to my Gunsmith today & he told me not to use IOF as he had two other Revolvers { S&W & IOF} which had jammed cases,has any member faced similar problems.I have an Astra Revolver.Best Amit
Dear Amit,
First save the Astra (and yourself) and dump the IOF ammo.
I started a thread a few weeks ago on defective batches of IOF ammo in both .32 ACP and SW Long cal. But the defective revolver ammo that I heard of had very hard primers that would not ignite even in brand new IOF revolvers with strong hammer springs. But what you have written seems to be happening because of extra charge resulting out of wrong measurement or most probably, powder of a different kind, something that is creating more pressure.

Cheers

TC

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am

I think TC brought this to our notice that some defective ammo had left the factory and was in the market. Yours may have been from that lot.

Defective KF ammo in the market
Postby TC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Friends,
Since a large number of handgun owners in India use the .32 ACP and .32 S&W Long ammo made by the Indian Ordnance Factory (the KF brand) I thought it is necessary to share this vital information.

About 2.5 lakh .32 ACP pistol cartridge has left the factory and entered the market with oversize rims. People who have bought these rounds are facing problems with feed and ejection. Dealers and gunsmiths have come up with a rather crude solution - to file off a fraction of the circumference of the rim and reduce it.
Many people are actually doing that - buying fine files or water papers and rubbing off some excess brass along the entire circumstance of the rim.

The problem with a certain batch of KF revolver ammo is quite different, but luckily too many of these are believed to be in circulation. I was recently shown a dozen odd cartridges that had "extra hard" steel primers that did not go off when hit by the firing pin. In fact I was quite surprised to see the barely visible mark of the firing pin although the revolvers used were new and there was no problem with the firing pins or hammer springs.

Hope this helps.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

fired six cartridges continuesly in double action mode didnt had any problem.revolver was iof make field gun factory 2002 model and ammo was iof batch march 2013 thanks

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Ashok, you are lucky that the March 2013 batch of 32 long ammo you got had no problem. I have been trying to identify the defective batches but with no success. After all the ammo leave the factory and shipped to all corners of the country, often mixed up with older and later batches and sold to thousands of customers. Identification becomes not only cumbersome but a near impossible task. The only people who can do it are the ones at the Khadki plant in Pune but you can't expect a GOI organisation to recall its defective products. In the US, any ammo manufacturer would have done that (though even expecting one to let such a disaster happen would be going too far) but what amazes me is the sheer nonchalant attitude towards an issue that could actually cause serious injury to people.

It is this "sab kucch chalta hai" attitude that has taken India where she is now....

Cheers

TC

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:57 pm

hi TC
it seems problem can be in revolvers too.one of my friend have 2013 model revolver.he called me and told only one cartridge fired out of six and when he tried these missed cartridges in his father revolver that too iof make all fired.have seen a guy how gone to kanpur factory3 times for misfire problem and problem remains unsolved thanks.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:31 pm

TC wrote:
Amit357 wrote:Guys i faced a problem with my revolver the other day when i fired 2 IOF ctgs,they both jammed in the cylinder,had burn marks all over the cases when i pulled them out,they went off like i was firing a 45 :shock: ,i fired S& Bs,Remingtons without any problems,went to my Gunsmith today & he told me not to use IOF as he had two other Revolvers { S&W & IOF} which had jammed cases,has any member faced similar problems.I have an Astra Revolver.Best Amit
Dear Amit,
First save the Astra (and yourself) and dump the IOF ammo.
I started a thread a few weeks ago on defective batches of IOF ammo in both .32 ACP and SW Long cal. But the defective revolver ammo that I heard of had very hard primers that would not ignite even in brand new IOF revolvers with strong hammer springs. But what you have written seems to be happening because of extra charge resulting out of wrong measurement or most probably, powder of a different kind, something that is creating more pressure.

Cheers

TC
Thanks TC,saving myself & me poor Astra,i was really surprised at the burn marks on the Cylinder left by the stupid IOF ammo,used S & Bs & other assorted ammo today & there was no problem with the revolver.Thanks for your advice,Best Amit
PS Think the drunk monkeys at IOF forgot to measure the powder & or the setting was readjusted by some other Drunk Monkey :twisted: .

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi guys. Was wondering what is the price of a imported .32 acp and SW L in your respective states, are the imports legal at all considering these calibers are manufactured in India.....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 pm

hi farook
import is illigle of above said cartidges as they are manufacturde in india.A dealer from lukhnow was arrested who was importing them as .32 bore rifle cartidges and lakhs of cartridges were seiged thanks
http://www.customsmumbaiairport.gov.in/ ... ?LinkID=67
Last edited by Kittu on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 pm

If someone could please clarify which year of manufacturer .32 ACP should I buy....

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi farook
you can use any batch but you have to file sharp edges on shoulder of cartridge.if u dont then you will have feeding problem i.e one cartrige will fire and next will stuk in magzine and you will think its problem in pistolor or magzine.infect problem is in faulty ammo.when you buy iof ammo check it doest have any sharp edgese by your thumb nail other wise your next round rim will be caught by raised shoulder edge and not let you chamber next round in pistol i think it will help you thanks

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:49 pm

ashokgodara wrote:Hi farook
you can use any batch but you have to file sharp edges on shoulder of cartridge.if u dont then you will have feeding problem i.e one cartrige will fire and next will stuk in magzine and you will think its problem in pistolor or magzine.infect problem is in faulty ammo.when you buy iof ammo check it doest have any sharp edgese by your thumb nail other wise your next round rim will be caught by raised shoulder edge and not let you chamber next round in pistol i think it will help you thanks

If a rim lock is what you mean, yes in another thread of discussion this matter has been dealt with and I have filed what ever I had. Is there any other issue with 2012 or 2013 batch like a hard primer or whatever

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 pm

no nothing else. problem lies in 2013 model pistols.i have not encoutered any problem like big rims etc thanks

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 am

ashokgodara wrote:no nothing else. problem lies in 2013 model pistols.i have not encoutered any problem like big rims etc thanks

Was wondering what is the issue with 2013 pistols, thats the model I have...

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:16 am

you have a pm