Need a stock recommendation for a Remington 700 BDL (.30-06)

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Need a stock recommendation for a Remington 700 BDL (.30-06)

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:07 pm

A friend of mine is considering buying a walnut, laminated or polymer stock for a Remington 700 BDL (.30-06) in the U.S.A..

Grateful if I could get suggestions regarding some good models and/or manufacturers.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need a stock recommendation for a Remington 700 BDL (.30

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:08 pm

Well it depends on what he intends to use the rifle for, and what sort of budget he has.

My 700 has a "Hogue overmolded" stock, which comes in 2 models- one with an aluminum bedding block and one without. I have the one with the block but after having it for a few years now I think it is only necessary for a varmint style rifle, and may not be necessary even then. So for a non-varmint caliber such as an '06 I'd buy the standard stock, they are about $100 compared to $200 for the one with the metal bedding block. It has a softer, rubbery feel to it which he may not like, so he should hold one of these stocks first before deciding to purchase one.

My "working rifle", a winchester M70 in 30-06 has had a Bell & Carlson standard grade fiberglass stock for the last 18 years (gasp! has it been that long!) and I have been really pleased with that stock, about the only thing I've managed to do to it is wear off the paint in places. It is a little heavy compared to some of the newer makes and models, but not much. They also aren't too expensive compared to some of the other makes out there.

If money is not too much an obstacle and he's interested in fiberglass, McMillan is one of the best though I personally have no experience with them other than holding some at gunshows.

In regards to laminated wood, check out Boyds stocks. The not only offer finished wood, but also inletted unfinished stocks should he wish to do the final sanding and finishing himself.

If he wants a truly custom stock, using a custom blank of wood, send me a PM and I can recommend a couple of stock makers who do that.

One last thing- he can also check ebay, gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com for a stock takeoff standard stock if he just needs a stock.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Mark,

The rifle serves no practical purpose but my friend does want to participate in the 300 metre open sight comps with this rifle.

There's nothing really wrong with the original stock but he just fancies something different.

The budget is flexible, though I am not sure he would like to pay for a full blown custom stock. Time is also a consideration, so I suppose that rules out a bespoke stock.

Will forward your post to him and revert with further questions, if any.

Many thanks.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Well for 300 meter competition I think I'd suggest a fiberglass stock that has been bedded. He could either bed it himself (order an acraglass kit from brownells and follow the instructions) or pay a gunsmith to do it. I'd definately stay away from real wood, not that it would be a bad choice but it may add an unnecessary variable.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks, Mark. You have a PM.

Mack The Knife

WyoJoe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WyoJoe » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 am

You might want to have your friend look at a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. I have one that is over 20 years old on my .375 and I am thoroughly pleased with it. They are pretty reasonable priced too. If you look on the post where I introduced my self to the IFG forums you will see what the B&C stock looks like.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am

Will do, Joe.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 am

The Hogue Overmolded stocks have to be just about the best bargain in shooting. The standard stock ( c $130 ) has aluminium pillar bedding and is more than adequate for most types of shooting. The more expensive ( c$230 ) version has a full-length aluminium bedding block inlet into the stock. Ideal for ultra-varmint or long range target type work as Mark says.
The stocks are made of fibreglass resin which is bonded ( at a molecular level ) to an outer surface of soft, grippy, rubber. Grip areas are stippled and a decent recoil pad is fitted.
Nothing else comes close as regards price or value for money.
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:58 am

Thanks, Grumpy.

Does the .30-06 qualify as a short or long action and what is meant by D.M.?

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchan ... =14&step=2

Any idea how resistant the 'rubber' is to scratches and such?

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:54 am

The .30-06 requires a long action.
I`ve no idea what `D.M` signifies.
BTW, there really is no point in buying the aluminium bedding block version for a hunting rifle - the standard version is fibreglass bedded with aluminium bedding pillars, a specification normally only seen in target stocks. The more expensive stock really is only helpful for out-and-out target rifles and offers no real benefit for a hunting rifle. They look exactly the same externally.
The rubber finish is very durable and just `scuffs` a little if dragged against a hard surface like a wall. It is superior to any wood.
I have one one on my Schultz & Larsen 30-06 which I bought while the original stock is refurbished......I probably won`t bother to refit it. I have another on a Ruger M77 MKII 7x57 and am planning to build a 6.5x55 which will be fitted with a Hogue overmolded stock from new.
The reviews for the Hogue Overmolded stocks have been extremely good and there are loads of manufacturers queueing up to offer the stocks as an OEM part.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks, Grumpy.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 am

I believe DM is for "detachable magazine" as you can get a detachable clip conversion for the 700, and I think some models were offered with it too.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Truly excellent first hand advice and recommendations based on real personal experience and usage. What a breath of fresh air. Thank you Mark and Grumpy.

I've also heard nothing but good things about Hogue, Boyd, McMillan and Bell & Carlson. Usage wise, I think they are all good, at this point, it just becomes a question of what feels, looks and seems good to the buyer. Mack The Knife, if your friend will mostly do target shooting and may use a scope, then maybe an adjustable comb, butt stock will be advisable. I didn't see the Hogue with an adjustable comb/butt, just B&C and McMillan. If wood is what you're looking for then Boyd is the way to go I feel.

I'm looking at getting into a Ruger 10/22 and spiffing it up and my first choice is the Hogue overmolded. Maybe someday an '06 too ;).