Need ammo for 12 gauge rifle!

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Sukhraj Pannu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Need ammo for 12 gauge rifle!

Post by Sukhraj Pannu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi IFGians, I have a 12 gauge double rifle but dont have its ammo, anyone over there knows how can I get it.
And is it safe to use slugs in it?
Regards.
Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Need ammo for 12 gauge rifle!

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Sukhraj Pannu wrote: Hi IFGians, I have a 12 gauge double rifle but dont have its ammo, anyone over there knows how can I get it.
Regards.
Hi Sukhraj,
12 gauge double rifle :roll: :roll: :roll:
Never heard or seen one :D
Pl post pics - would love to see it :D
If by chance its a 12 gauge "Shot Gun" which I am sure it is - any arms dealer would stock ammo for it.
Yes - You can use slugs in it!
Briha

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Sukhraj,i doubt that you can get that ammo in India,12 GA Rifles were a standard issue for police in many parts of the country in the days of THE RAJ,you might try some dealer in U.P,or some real old ones in Delhi,they might have some,but would they i fire------------.Best

Sukhraj Pannu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sukhraj Pannu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Briha,
Its an old english hammered very heavy (around 5 kgs) double rifle( its barrels are rifled).
Now i am at my college hostel, i will post its pics very soon.

Sukhraj Pannu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sukhraj Pannu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Amit357 wrote:Sukhraj,i doubt that you can get that ammo in India,12 GA Rifles were a standard issue for police in many parts of the country in the days of THE RAJ,you might try some dealer in U.P,or some real old ones in Delhi,they might have some,but would they i fire------------.Best
Right, if i get any, than it might be about 60 yrs old.
I heard about rifled slugs, are they availabe here?

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Sukhraj,do check if its a Paradox or a 12 Ga Rifle,check the marking,then only use it,and if you are unsure, dont shoot a cartridge because some Mistry says it will work.12 Ga is a very unforgiving cartridge if fingered in the wrong way.Best Amit

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am

Sukhraj Pannu wrote:Hi IFGians, I have a 12 gauge double rifle but dont have its ammo, anyone over there knows how can I get it.
Regards.
Sukhraj,

Pics of the gun and its proof marks would give the matter a little more clarity, you can then verify whether it is safe to use with modern ammo i.e slugs as some of these older hammer guns were proofed with blackpowder and took quite a few drams of the stuff! Also store-bought slug ammo is generally intended for use with smoothbore shotguns and can be used through a variety of chokes, some manufacturers state use through 'any choke'. Well, there are some Indian manufacturers who make shotguns with chokes as tight as .660", not very smart to use a slug through one of those. Put up some close-up pics of your gun when you find the time, it will help.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

wildhoghunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by wildhoghunter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Check your gun's chamber.2.5 ,2 3/4 or3. buy a new12bore slug cartridge of same shot shell lenght.
Open the cartride,take the slug out,incert it in your gun from the BREECH SIDE.
Push it inthe barrel using a ram rod gently, if it slides easily through the barrel without jamming
you may shoot that cartridge in your gun.