Low Power Scope for Winchester Model 70

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Low Power Scope for Winchester Model 70

Post by Safarigent » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Grumpy,
Apologies, i have been using the wrong terminology, i wanted an illuminated dot and not an illuminated reticle. I am :stupid: i guess. Sorry for that. Even an illuminated dot is not high on the list of priorities.
Secondly, i want a low power scope,( and not a fixed power one) exactly along the lines you said. I know the reason why DG scopes have those low power scopes. At short ranges, you want as wide a field of view and dont want the animal to fill up your field of Vision completely.
I am not completely clueless, just made an honest boo boo. But thanks for pointing it out.
I am working on the iron sights too.
If you had to go for a DG hunt, what scope would you pick up?
Thanks for bearing with me and my inane questions.
Much appreciated.
:)
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi Arjun,IMHO,plz dont scope up a DGR,most DG encounters are between 25-70 meters,and a scope would be a bad choice in acquiring the target for a 2nd shot at close range,specially a pissed of Cat,i know trying to practice in India is an expensive option,but boss if you are going to the Dark Continent,i think a 50-100 rounds of ammo are not gonna hurt,& also plz do remember that the maximum DG taken were on Express or Open sights.Best Amit
PS; SHOOT HIM THE 2nd TIME TO KILL HIM PROPERLY,THE 3rd TIME TO ENSURE HE STAYS DOWN & THE 4th TIME JUST TO BE SURE.Have a great Shoot

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Safarigent wrote:Anyone used this company?
http://www.conetrol.com/
They seem to have some good quality bases and QD system.
I basiy want something wherein i can use the iron sights with ease after removing the scope.
Their QD system is so new that I have not seen it yet, and they don't show you any picture on their website. Leupold makes good ones, I especially like their "QR" type for good return to zero. Their "QRW" for Weaver-type bases is good, too. As are Warne mounts. In my experience, Weaver style mounts tend to return within 2-3 minutes of angle when removed and replaced. Though they may settle back to zero after the first few shots. That being said, it probably does not apply to all Weaver-style/Picatinny mounts, which everyone is making nowadays.

Whatever reticle you pick for the scope, do not err on the fine side. Our "duplex" reticles tend to have the center crosshairs too fine for a DG scope, for that the German #4 is better, in my opinion.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Leopold, they are my top choice among American scopes. Never had any problems with any. Nikon scopes I have no personal experience with, but share Grumpy's view. With some of the other brands you can be very happy with, or be quickly disappointed. Especially if you don't go with the top of their line scope.

Wonder what kind of rear sight you have on that rifle, as the .375 came with two leaves on the same "flip" sight. Or is your rifle not a pre-64 ?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:51 am

I have no knowledge whatsoever concerning Conetrol products so cannot comment.
As regards QD mounts/rings generally I again concur with TwoRivers regarding Leupold products as they are good quality. My experience of Warne QD mounts is limited - I`ve only had them on one rifle and was not particularly impressed. In the UK the American Talley mounts and QD rings have gained an excellent reputation for providing a quality product at reasonable cost.
The cost of German/Austrian mounts and rings will likely frighten you ! ;) :)
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

urooj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by urooj » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Once you finalise on the scope try contacting smah sports and out doors lucknow. You might get what you need here in India itself.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 pm

So what i zeroed in on are warne maxima 30mm qd rings for the nikon monarch gold 1.5-6x42 for the .30-06.
As far as the model 70 goes, i've picked up a leupy VX6 1-6x24. Will drill and tap the rifle for weaver bases and will pick up the warne maxima rings in 30mm again.
Both scopes have the german no.4 reticle.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 pm

For a hunting rifle I like the idea of the scout rifle with a long eye relief scope.. But of course I wouldnt know as I havent tried it.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:32 am

jonahpach wrote:For a hunting rifle I like the idea of the scout rifle with a long eye relief scope.. But of course I wouldnt know as I havent tried it.
Compared to a "regular" eye relief scope, the "scout" scope has a very limited field of view, and for a DG rifle you want the largest field of view you can get. I don't have enough experience with "scout" scopes to have formed a definite opinion, but unless the rifle fit me like a custom fitted "bespoke" shotgun, I'd never use, nor recommend, a scout scope set-up for a DG rifle. If it were my only rifle, I'd practice a lot at moving targets.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 am

I agree with Grumpy.
If this is going to be a dangerous game rifle, get the Iron sights fixed and forget about the scope.
If you've ever tried to use a scope on a fast moving, close-in target, you'll see what I mean when I say its a waste of time.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

Hi
Yes getting a good pair of iron sights. I have also been toying with the idea of a ghost ring on a QD weaver base but dont know how practical it will be.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:31 am

Safarigent wrote:Hi
Yes getting a good pair of iron sights. I have also been toying with the idea of a ghost ring on a QD weaver base but dont know how practical it will be.
I think the tried and true Express sights probably work the best. A Shallow V and a big bead line up real fast and seem to be what DG hunters like.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941