Is parallax an issue in case of .22lr rifle

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Is parallax an issue in case of .22lr rifle

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 pm

...if you are using a scope with parallax set at 100 yards.Use would be plinking and not shooting sub MOA groups

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is parallax an issue in case of .22lr rifle

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, you are not likely to shoot MOA at 100 yards with a .22 RF

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm

In regards to target shooting, parallax is minimized with consistent head placement so if you concentrate on proper form it is not that much of an issue, if at all.

For the record, only one of my 22's has a scope designed for 22LR, all the others have whatever extra scope I had when I got the gun and I have never personally noticed an issue regarding parallax in them.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 pm

lol
Nicely understated TwoRivers.
I`ve had .22 lrs that would shoot MOA at 100 metres ..... in the right conditions .....
Dedicated .22 lr scopes with fixed parallax are usually set to 50 yards if I remember correctly.
Before someone else says it, you can usually reset the parallax with most scopes ...... Something that most people seem to do very badly in my experience.
The main thing is to keep your viewing eye in the same position for every shot. If you don`t then parallax WILL be an issue.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks Mark and Grumpy

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:01 am

Part of the problem is that you will have to remember exactly where you placed your head when you sighted the scope in.
However, this only becomes an issue if you are trying to shoot really small groups. For general plinking, it doesn't really matter that much.
Two of my .22's have Adjustable Objective scopes. One just has a cheap Chinese scope on it. All three will shoot small groups at 25 yards.

When I was younger, I used an old Weaver 3/4" tubed 4X V22 scope on my only .22 (then) for many years.
I made many head shots on squirrel with it. I was always able to hit (within reason) anything with it under 50 yards. I usually used the cheapest ammo that I could find(at the time) too.
I have no idea where the parallax was set on that scope. However, the thing had such pitiful eye relief that you pretty much had to place your head in the same spot every time which probably took care of the issue. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 am

Most of the years that I`ve been shooting I doubt that I`d even heard of parallax let alone concerned myself with it. I don`t believe I`ve shot any better since I have known about it so it might be the case that ignorance is bliss. I have a pair of dedicated .22 lr scopes and neither has ever been used.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 am

Most of the years that I`ve been shooting I doubt that I`d even heard of parallax let alone concerned myself with it.
LOL that is quite true, that concern is a pretty recent thing fueled in the bowels of internet gun fora.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941