Are these products by OFB available for civilians?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Are these products by OFB available for civilians?

Post by varunik » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

TC wrote: I don't think any so called army surplus store in India sells products made by OFB. And certainly not anything relating to weapons etc.
i said no weapons.
These are basically shops run by businessmen and sell products that are manufactured by private entrepreneurs primarily for the army, navy, paramilitary, police and even NCC after bidding of tenders, sarkari style. And, these products are primarily part of the uniform, for example the boots you are referring to, belts, berets, caps, parka, lanyard, holsters, badges etc. The most lethal weapon one can buy from there are lathis, batons and scout knives. One cannot even find a bayonet in any of these shops.

Cheers
TC
Probably, yes.

I have seen shops, in Pathankot, who sell Army uniforms,belts,etc
You get camping stuff too, ropes, bags, at reasonable rates.
No weapons. You might get a branded knife there, not used by the Army.
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sourojit
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sourojit » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm

To ' FN-Five-Seven ' :
Ok.So,scopes which are not exactly military grade can be purchased by us and used?Can you suggest a few good models and whether a laser pointer will be available?
And rest assured I am not trying to simulate games in real life and I have never played "Call of Duty" and never will;I prefer "Halo" & "Hitman" if you please.
There's another thing;I sent another mail to OFB about these products and I got a reply.They asked me to send my request to the following address:

General Manager
Opto Electronics Factory
Raipur
Dehradun-248 008
Fax (0135) 2787177

Now,if there is anyone living anywhere near this factory,he/she may go and have chat with the General Manager or his/her subordinates there or something..
I will send them a fax as soon as possible.

Anyone from Raipur here?
"Give me blood,I will give you freedom."
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:26 pm

People will ask you why you want laser pointer etc, suspecting you of being a hitman.What is a military grade scope?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:28 pm

varunik wrote:
TC wrote: I don't think any so called army surplus store in India sells products made by OFB. And certainly not anything relating to weapons etc.
i said no weapons.
These are basically shops run by businessmen and sell products that are manufactured by private entrepreneurs primarily for the army, navy, paramilitary, police and even NCC after bidding of tenders, sarkari style. And, these products are primarily part of the uniform, for example the boots you are referring to, belts, berets, caps, parka, lanyard, holsters, badges etc. The most lethal weapon one can buy from there are lathis, batons and scout knives. One cannot even find a bayonet in any of these shops.

Cheers
TC
Probably, yes.

I have seen shops, in Pathankot, who sell Army uniforms,belts,etc
You get camping stuff too, ropes, bags, at reasonable rates.
No weapons. You might get a branded knife there, not used by the Army.
Hi Varunik,
Of course you didn't say weapons. I was only referring to the scopes, laser sights etc that are fitted to weapons and made by OFB - broadly whats being discussed on this thread. Yes, Pathankot is a nice place for surplus goods. You get excellent bargains there. I bought a jacket years ago and kept wearing it on every trip to the hills etc till the stitches came off... ROTFL

TC

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:55 pm

its not military surplus its military waste!
regards
dr.jk

manshah007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by manshah007 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm

FN-Five-Seven wrote:Well Sourojit babu , except for the foot wear ( I think , if the Government hasn't classified them as PB that is "Prohibited Boot " ) , if you can legally acquire the products you have listed , then you would be the "Hero for Life " for many members in here including me . In other words , as a civilian you , legally you cannot . Sad I know . :cry:

What a sad state of affair in a country where a citizen has to run from pillar to post just to get an arms license, which too is not guaranteed. Even if one is granted he cannot get weapon of his choice and have to depend upon our orderless IOF, we civilians are at the mercy of babus. Rightly said, when we want to buy say telescope or laser aiming device from OFB, what we can expect to get is BOOT ON THE BACKSIDE. :lol:

F-N-FiveSeven

Sourojit
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sourojit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

I sent an email to OFB and they have requested me to send my request to :

General Manager
Optro Factory(..or something like that..)
Raipur
Dehradun

They have also provided the telephone and fax numbers.I will fax them sometime soon.
Is there anyone here who lives anywhere near this factory?Then he/she can have a chat with the manager or his/her subordinates there about products which are available for civilians.
"Give me blood,I will give you freedom."
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Sourojit wrote:To ' FN-Five-Seven ' :
Ok.So,scopes which are not exactly military grade can be purchased by us and used?
The scopes which are suitable for air rifles & NPB rifles / gun can be purchased and used . These are generally available at a good Arms Dealer .
Sourojit wrote: Can you suggest a few good models and whether a laser pointer will be available?
As for scopes , there are manufacturers like Bushnell , Vortex , Nikon etc .
Your Arms dealer will be more helpful in procuring these for you . And also it needs to be seen that what type of provisions are there on your weapon before even making the decision on the scopes . A scope rail needs to be installed , and then the scope mounted on it .

Secondly , the correct term is Laser Sight and not Laser Pointer .
I don't know about the availability .
Just curious , what weapons do you own that you need a Laser Sight for ?
Sourojit wrote: And rest assured I am not trying to simulate games in real life and I have never played "Call of Duty" and never will;I prefer "Halo" & "Hitman" if you please.
Well , I still believe , you are trying to imitate some action hero from some movie or video games . And there is no polite way to say it , but your choice of Video Games is horrible ROTFL ( I think Sourojit Babu is going to kill me now :lol: )
Sourojit wrote: There's another thing;I sent another mail to OFB about these products and I got a reply.They asked me to send my request to the following address:

General Manager
Opto Electronics Factory
Raipur
Dehradun-248 008
Fax (0135) 2787177

Now,if there is anyone living anywhere near this factory,he/she may go and have chat with the General Manager or his/her subordinates there or something..
I will send them a fax as soon as possible.

Anyone from Raipur here?
Do an RTI . And don't ask me how to go about it . :mrgreen:

Regards
F-N-FiveSeven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .