The benefits of oiling pellets: Part 1

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

The benefits of oiling pellets: Part 1

Post by Prabhath » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The benefits of oiling pellets: Part 1

Post by brihacharan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:13 pm

I think it is most useful in countries with low power limits.
Tried a lube years ago advertised to add power and realized by the tell tale smell I turned my BSA into a little dieseling machine.
Gave up when it started to sound like a .22 lr and smoke like the Marlboro man. ROTFL

The above statement is copy pasted from the link - It says a lot :D
> I have personally tried oiling pellets & the results were:
1. Detonation - My IHP35 22cal sounded like a LR 'Rim Fire' gun
2. Plenty of smoke emanated from the barrel
3. Excessive vibration
4. Breech seal got damaged & had to be replaced
5. Barrel fouling with burned carbon particles from the oil
> Loss in accuracy - Without oiling the pellets the groups at 30ft were 5/8" - Using oiled pellets the groups opened up-to 1 1/4"
> In my considered opinion "Don't Oil the Pellets" if you want your AR to shoot smooth & vibration free and of-course maintain accuracy.
Briha

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 pm

I wash Master Shot pellets, dry them & then oiled one tin with 4 drops of Air gun oil then role them over tissue paper to remove excessive oil so it prevented from oxidization & Detonation

As I wash the pellets all dust of pellets is removed which is good for barrel & No issue with accuracy

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 am

[quote="pratik_mahale"]
I wash Master Shot pellets, dry them & then oiled one tin with 4 drops of Air gun oil then role them over tissue paper to remove excessive oil so it prevented from oxidization & Detonation

> The 'Tissue Paper Treatment" is very important as it takes away 90% to 95% of the oil 'leaving the right amount of lube to provide optimum efficiency.
> Many who Oil the Pellets inadvertantly leave excess oil in them that cause - dieseling / detonation / excess vibration etc.
> Smart work Pratik :D
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I do something similar. Wash, dry (I did buy the hairdryer for the wife, but I use it more). Put oil (I use Castrol gear oil, for some reason a can is lying in my tool shelf) on a clean cotton cloth, pour some of the pellets on the cloth, roll them a few times. This method was mentioned in one of the old threads here (i.e. IFG). First time, I got dieseling (I wondered whether the gun had flicked a fag off me!!) , then I started using less oil, and let it soak into the cloth.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley