Ported Chokes

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Ported Chokes

Post by Safarigent » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Okay, so i have been researching on what chokes to get for my shotgun. I have a couple of questions to which i cant get clear answers.
1. Wont ported chokes deform the lead shot coming out, hence spoil the pattern by making the shot fly erratically each time? If so, why are they so popular? Especially amongst sport shooters? I mean no one ever complained about the recoil from a 24 gm shell!
2. Talk is that the best chokes are those in which the restrcition is gradual followed by a cylinderical section of the same dia as the choke restriction. How does this work and does someone have any experience with this?

Thanks
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Ported Chokes

Post by shooter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:06 pm

First of all why do u want them? To improve scores or to look cool? What are your current scores. Is the a pattern in dropped targets? Depending on why the targets are being dropped, are ported chokes the answer?
Also seems like you've already made up your mind. At first it was ported barrels and now ported chokes. Please ask an Olympic skeet coach what will help you according to your style and technique. Look at the Olympic medal lists and see how many have ported chokes. ( hint: Vincent 'the greatest' Hancock doesn't use them)

Regards the pattern in ported chokes: different schools. It doesn't affect the pattern enough to spoil scores. Re: recoil- less recoil means Shot acquisition is quicker on the second shot. This is really important in competition when milliseconds matter. Don't forget comp shooters fire hundreds of rounds a day.

Last question again to do with patterns and also gimmicks and fads. First they claimed gradual restricted chokes are good then back bored ones then the cylindrical end. Then nitro cooled blah blah.

Similarly first 28" barrels for skeet then 27" then 26 then again 30 now 32. Now 3 " magnums for skeet. Guess what all Olympic golds were won with the same scores. Only now has Vincent scored the perfect score and that too with a beretta not a perazzi. And non ported barrels (28") and chokes. He sometimes uses extended chokes and at times flushed ( non Olympic usage).
Last edited by shooter on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Arjun,

> Re: your quiz on Ported Chokes - Pl go through this link - Hope you get your answers :D

Choke Choices Made Simple by Jarrod Spilger
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/ar ... .htmlOften shotguns come with three basic chokes — Improved Cylinder, Modified .... a gun that shoots fine with non–ported chokes, by all means, keep using them!

Cheers
Briha

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 pm

The reason for this query is that i am getting a multi choke shotgun. I have been told to pick up brileys thin walled ported chokes. I dont really know if there any performance benefits over factory chokes which arent subjective.
My competition average is 21/25. And i am no fan of porting, especially on a skeet gun using 24 gm loads. But the chokes got me thinking.
So, no, i havent made a choice and am looking for answers and personal experiences if any.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:57 pm

None !!!!

We use ported chokes for turkey hunts and all they do is deflect a bit of over pressure towards outside to save a bit on recoil. And it has nothing to do with target and velocity and any pattern. Because turkey chokes are too much constricted and pack a lot of punch. Other than that why would people use them if pattern or hunt is going to be jeopardize. Finally if you start thinking and there is a doubt, you can or should stick with regular chokes. Most times WE look for excuses for any missing shots while trap and skeet, no offense - Haji

+++++++++

Edit, saving space .........

Old wise man once said, Practice makes you perfect. Wish there were any magical stuff out there or some times manufactured claim to be such then every one would been Todd Jerret. Finally there could be a touch of improvement if you touch or tweek the gun but any improvement is not going to be overnight magic. Most times there is bump in score when you add some magical stuff to your gun then periodically you fall back to your original genuine score, that's all because your confidence boost not some magical stuff.

Wish you good luck and congrats on your achievements, you are lot better than me. Some times I hit 10-15 on good day but enough to build ego and bragging :cheers:
Last edited by Hammerhead on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 pm

You guys have got it wrong. I am not trying to improve my shooting by getting some miracle chokes.
I just want to know if there is any advantage/disadvantage over normal ones.
Like hammerhaed just told me. Thanks for that sir
Last edited by Safarigent on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 am

Safarigent wrote:You guys have got it wrong. I am trying to improve my shooting by getting some miracle chokes.
I just want to know if there is any advantage/disadvantage over normal ones.
Like hammerhaed just told me. Thanks for that sir
Slight decrease in recoil, at the cost of increased muzzle blast. Nothing else. Makers claim better pattern, haven't seen any definitive test results.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks two rivers, that was supposed to read as: i am NOT trying to improve my shooting...
So, there isnt any real tangile difference standing on the station, somewhat like backboring 12 gauge shotguns to 18.6 and 18.7 mm and extended forcing cones!
Because my 18.4 mm normal forcing cones short internal chokes shotgun patterns as well or better on the pattern plate than any dt 11 i have seen, using the same ammo!

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Here lies the secret.

And when I start shooting, I was even got kicked out of the gun range. Now whole firearms community knows that incident and same club invited me multiple times to shoot with them. Giving up is not an option - Haji

Safarigent wrote:And unlike some, i am not a gifted shooter, I had to crawl and work my way up to a decent mark. But i did.
Today, i am looking to import my own shotgun and ammunition and this cycle will replicate itself every year for me.
Why am i writing this here? Not for the kudos and appreciation coming my way. But for those chaps who get put off by the amount of work one has to do. Our country is not the best place for a sport shooter, but given the dedication and stubborness, it can work out for you as well.
We need the shooting sports to be as inclusive as possible. We need mothers and fathers and wives and daughters and sons and nephews and nieces on the ranges, shooting away to glory. For them to do so, we need to put in the hard work.

The beauty is, its possible.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke