information on empty 12 Ga box wanted

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

information on empty 12 Ga box wanted

Post by polman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 am

Hello all,
I know it has been a while since I have been on the forum, but I have a question for you guys.
Can you provide any information on the following box??
like age and where by who??

Many thanks for all info provided.

I am also looking for empty shotshellboxes from India for my collection, both old and modern.
Anything would be very much appreciated. ( This is the only one I have so far ).

Many regards rené
I am always looking for collectable shotshells, have all required permits and would be very happy to get a PM when you can help me.
Many thanks René

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: information on empty 12 Ga box wanted

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 am

What kind of information are you looking for?
Are you looking for a translation of the text?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 am

They carry the decal of the IOF (Indian Ordnance Factory), the style of packaging seems pretty old. Funny thing is there appears to be a lack of appropriate Hindi words and so a lot of what is written is simple phonetic translation in Hindi script.
Old or new, the packaging doesn't seem to have 'improved' too much over half a century.... its just more colorful now.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:50 am

cottage cheese wrote:.
Old or new, the packaging doesn't seem to have 'improved' too much over half a century.... its just more colorful now.
You mean someone gave those drunken.. erm, guys a color cartridge for their inkjet printer?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 pm

I have never seen a more accurate weight description for a load (30.1213 gram). I dont think any shotshell manufacturers give shot weight down to a tenth of a milligram!

I'm impressed.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by polman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:36 pm

xl_target wrote:What kind of information are you looking for?
Are you looking for a translation of the text?
I think the british corosponds with the text I cannot read??
BTW what language is it? ( sorry I read it is Hindy )
My first priority is, how old is this box?
And are these common in India?
I understand these are made by IOF.

Many regards rené
I am always looking for collectable shotshells, have all required permits and would be very happy to get a PM when you can help me.
Many thanks René

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Yep, they are made by the Indian Ordnance Factory Board (IOFB) at the Ammunition Factory Khadki (near Pune) Maharashtra - earlier spelt variously as Khirkee / Khirki/ Kirkee. Cartridges made at this factory are headstamped "KF" (for Khadki Factory). They have an almost total monopoly on the production on small arms ammunition in India. From the looks of it the box is definitely pre-1990's, there should be year/ date and batch no. stamped on one of the flaps (inside or outside). That should solve the mystery of the exact vintage of this box.

As you may have already figured out, this box was for roll crimped paper (short brass) shotgun shells. Colour of the shells would have been red and they would have used cardboard wadding. Rest information like length (65mm)/ shot load (30 grms)/ shot size (2) etc. would be as per what is printed on the box. Primers used would be (and still are) of the type without battery pocket, like these ones:

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by polman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 am

mundaire wrote:Yep, they are made by the Indian Ordnance Factory Board (IOFB) at the Ammunition Factory Khadki (near Pune) Maharashtra - earlier spelt variously as Khirkee / Khirki/ Kirkee. Cartridges made at this factory are headstamped "KF" (for Khadki Factory). They have an almost total monopoly on the production on small arms ammunition in India. From the looks of it the box is definitely pre-1990's, there should be year/ date and batch no. stamped on one of the flaps (inside or outside). That should solve the mystery of the exact vintage of this box.

As you may have already figured out, this box was for roll crimped paper (short brass) shotgun shells. Colour of the shells would have been red and they would have used cardboard wadding. Rest information like length (65mm)/ shot load (30 grms)/ shot size (2) etc. would be as per what is printed on the box. Primers used would be (and still are) of the type without battery pocket, like these ones:

[ Image ]

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Hi Mundaire,
Thanks for the info, I know the headstamp and the case itself, I have them in my collection.
I will ask my friend who has the box right now what is written on the flaps, so we can reveal the answer on age.
For myselve I think it is atleast 40 years old, but I might be wrong.

Many regards rené
Many thanks René

polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by polman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 am

Is there anybody able to show pictures of other (old) shotshell boxes or shotshells from India???

Many regards rené
Many thanks René

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 am

Polman,

What is printed in Hindi is the same as what is printed on the boxes in English.Just read the English version and you have the translation of what is written in Hindi.

polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by polman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 am

polman wrote:
mundaire wrote:Yep, they are made by the Indian Ordnance Factory Board (IOFB) at the Ammunition Factory Khadki (near Pune) Maharashtra - earlier spelt variously as Khirkee / Khirki/ Kirkee. Cartridges made at this factory are headstamped "KF" (for Khadki Factory). They have an almost total monopoly on the production on small arms ammunition in India. From the looks of it the box is definitely pre-1990's, there should be year/ date and batch no. stamped on one of the flaps (inside or outside). That should solve the mystery of the exact vintage of this box.

[ Image ]

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Hi Mundaire,
Thanks for the info, I know the headstamp and the case itself, I have them in my collection.
I will ask my friend who has the box right now what is written on the flaps, so we can reveal the answer on age.
For myselve I think it is atleast 40 years old, but I might be wrong.

Many regards rené

The code on the inside of the box is not very good readable. But it is something like 01915. ( the 15 is a bit rubbed of so it could be something else also ).

many regards rené
Many thanks René

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 pm

It certainly cannot be of 1915 vintage, (maybe) it refers to the batch no. I'm guessing date of production would be circa '70s-80's.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

polman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by polman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 am

Hi,
Many thanks for the help.
Indeed 1915 seems to old for the box.

Everybody many thanks for all the help.
René
Many thanks René