.405 Winchester & .250-3000 Savage

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

.405 Winchester & .250-3000 Savage

Post by miroflex » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Hello All,

I have been planning to buy a rifle and have been exploring various options. Among the rifles offered are a .405 Winchester & .250-3000 Savage. I wanted to ascertain the availability and prices of cartridges for these calibres and would request fellow members to let me know whether they know of any sources of supply for the same. I would like to go ahead with the purchase of either of these rifles only after the position regarding the availability and cost of the ammunition is known to me.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: .405 Winchester & .250-3000 Savage

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 pm

The .405, to the best of my knowledge, is obsolete and finding ammo will be very difficult.

The .250-300 ammo should not be too difficult to source.But, that's a guess on my part.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Vikram wrote:The .405, to the best of my knowledge, is obsolete and finding ammo will be very difficult.

The .250-300 ammo should not be too difficult to source.But, that's a guess on my part.

Best-
Vikram
The .405 Winchester cartridge is available in the US, loaded by Hornady since Winchester made a run of M1895s. Though the flat point bullet version gives feeding troubles in the original rifles. So the question becomes whether you can find a dealer who can import them for you.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 pm

TwoRivers wrote:The .405 Winchester cartridge is available in the US, loaded by Hornady since Winchester made a run of M1895s. Though the flat point bullet version gives feeding troubles in the original rifles. So the question becomes whether you can find a dealer who can import them for you.
You are right and thanks for the correction.

http://www.hornady.com/store/405-Win-300-gr-SP/

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks Vikram and Two Rivers,

I have come across dealers who have these cartridges in stock but exhorbitantly priced. What I am looking for is names and addresses of dealers in India who have these cartridges in stock and at reasonabler prices.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 am

Last i had checked 250-3000 savage where being quoted at 400-450 per catridge, i am not sure what they go for now. If you find catridges that have never been reloaded nothing as good ......i hope you get what i mean.
Try aurangabad...you might find them there.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks Pritu.

I wonder if you could very kindly pass on the names and phone numbers of any dealers you know of in Aurangabad. That would be of great help to me in searching for ammunition in Aurangabad.

Regards.

3006rifle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by 3006rifle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Winchester .405 is completely obsolete. I know since my uncle has one and he could not find the bullets in India in the last 20 years. He has some 8 bullets which are a good 30 years old.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Thank you very much for your post 3006 Rifle. I have sent you a PM.

Regards.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:37 am

I have recently found fresh .405 Winchester ammunition at dealers for Rs. 450 to Rs. 600 per round.

A dealer has also mentioned that he has around 20 cartridges in .250-3000 Savage for around Rs. 700 per round. Other dealers do not have it in stock. 20 is too small a number to justify buying a rifle in that calibre and then hunting around for more ammunition which may prove unobtainable.

Do members know of any dealer in any place where .250-3000 Savage ammunition is available? I ask because the .405 Winchester rifle, for which cartridges are more readily available, is considered too powerful for home defence. That is the purpose for which I am looking for a rifle. If more cartridges are available, I may decide to go in for a Savage.

Looking forward to some information on the availability and prices of .250-3000 and .405 cartridges.

Regards.

Arien73
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Arien73 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 am

hello members,
after reading the forum on this obsolete rifle ... i am curious about the price of this gun as a obsolete weapon... can some body post the price also that how much the seller is asking and can he post some pictures and overall condition of this rifle,... i might be interested to buy that or any other obsolete rifle in good condition ....thanx

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:06 am

Arien73 wrote:hello members,
after reading the forum on this obsolete rifle ... i am curious about the price of this gun as a obsolete weapon... can some body post the price also that how much the seller is asking and can he post some pictures and overall condition of this rifle,... i might be interested to buy that or any other obsolete rifle in good condition ....thanx
Hello Arien,

It may not be fair to call the .405 Winchester an obsolete rifle since it (the 1895 Model) was recently again placed on the market by Winchester with a Theodore Roosevelt tag to commemorate the late US President's fondness for this weapon and his use of it during his African safari. Cartridges fot the rifle are being loaded by Winchester etc and imported into India. They are, however. quite expensive at around Rs. 600 each.

All the best.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello,

I am still looking for information about the availability, condition (freshness) and price of .250-3000 Savage cartridges. Please wish me good luck in my quest and come up with positive information about these cartridges.

Cheers.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

miroflex wrote:Hello,

I am still looking for information about the availability, condition (freshness) and price of .250-3000 Savage cartridges. Please wish me good luck in my quest and come up with positive information about these cartridges.

Cheers.
Hello All,

I am yet to hear any positive news on the subject and would like to know of any sources of supply for these cartridges.