i did'nt understan what is 12bore...?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
shooter123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

i did'nt understan what is 12bore...?

Post by shooter123 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm

hello freinds realy i am unable to understand what is 12 bore because in this site ifg told that 12 bore means 12 lead shots weigh about one pound then why we don't use that shot why we use bb,no.1to no.9 shot if we use this type of ammo in 12 bore then i think it is also fired by 16 bore then what is differance between these two realy i am confused..... :roll:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: i did'nt understan what is 12bore...?

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

You want to fire a pound of shot at a time?
A 12 bore is simply the diameter of a barrel which would equal the diameter of a sphere of lead, 12 of which would make a pound.
This is anachronistic.
A 12 bore is roughly .729 inches in diameter. That would its Caliber. Note though that this is nominal and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
For more info, google first, then search here, and lastly post.
Cheers
To Excellence through Diligence.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Dear Shooter123,

The greater the number of the bore, the smaller is the diameter of the barrel i.e. 16 bore has a smaller diameter barrel than a 12 bore. This would mean that for the same length of cartridge, the 16 bore cartridge would contain less powder and shot. This would mean lesser energy being imparted to the shot and lesser killing power. Also reduced recoil.

All the best.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

shooter123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shooter123 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

thanx for explaination dear frenids

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Q.What is 12 Bore?
A.Take a pound of lead, divide it into 12 equal parts, take each part and make a ball out of it :wink: the diameter of a gun barrel that can now fire that ball would be 12 Bore. Now substitute 4, 8, 10, etc for the number 12 above. :P
Regards,
Anand

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 pm

"Bore" is a misnomer for the caliber of shotgun barrels. There is no 12, 16, 20, or 28 "bore". They are all "gauge". The only shotgun "bore" is the .410, which isn't a gauge. It would be something close to a 57 gauge, though called a "36 gauge" in some places. Confusing to most, unfortunately even to some who should know better.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Two Rivers,

Bore is as well established in British shooting terminology as gauge is in American.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:47 am

miroflex wrote:Hi Two Rivers,

Bore is as well established in British shooting terminology as gauge is in American.

Regards.
That may well be, but it's still wrong. And a well established error is still an error. Regards.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Teaching English to the British is an unenviable task. They persist in calling the second floor the first floor ...

Regards.