OFB .22 LR cartridge performance

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

OFB .22 LR cartridge performance

Post by BowMan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I have been getting a consistent group size of 3cms from 50 mts with latest .22 KF ball cartridges. There have been a few fliers as well that spread the group to around 4cms occasionally. The smallest group size being 2.7 cms. Can the gun gurus opine as to whether this group size with KF is okay or can I expect better results with the same ammo with more practice? Also please suggest some good cartridges that one could use with confidence in 50 mtrs target shooting competitions and their availability along-with price range locally. :mrgreen:

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: OFB .22 LR cartridge performance

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 pm

.....opine as to whether this group size with KF is okay or can I expect better results with the same ammo with more practice?
You don't mention the type and action of the firearm, whether standing, sitting, prone or bench, type of front rest/rear rest, iron sights or scope, indoors or outdoors (wind), etc. There are many factors that influence group size. Ammunition is just one of them. Some of the more expensive CCI, Eley, Lapua and Wolf and SK (some made by Lapua) are commonly available here. The better ammo will help reduce the flyers and contribute to better average group size. More consistent ammo will give you smaller groups.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 pm

The Rifle is Anschutz 1954 or 1956 (10 lbs) bull-barrel, bolt action. Anschutz 7002/20 front and rear peep sights set at the smallest apertures. Of course from prone position with gloves, sling and the jacket. The most confident group size has been 2.3 cms so far. I don't think wind has been much of a factor at 50 mtrs. I got the KF for rs 23 from a dealer against a reciept for the same; mention of mrp notwithstanding! You didn't mention the price of the ammo you are suggesting.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 pm

BowMan wrote:You didn't mention the price of the ammo you are suggesting.
Look at his location.You will not be getting those prices with your local dealer.

Not a guru. You may like to test a variety of brands in your rifle and see which one shoots the best as for some reason, .22lr rifles seem to like a particular brand/type of cartridge.

Wind effect on .22lr at 50 metres is not a factor? May not be when you are plinking. Important enough to wash you out of a competition.

http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.com/r ... oulli.html

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22dri ... owing.html

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 pm

The Rifle is Anschutz 1954 or 1956 (10 lbs) bull-barrel, bolt action. Anschutz 7002/20 front and rear peep sights set at the smallest apertures. Of course from prone position with gloves, sling and the jacket.
If you really have all that equipment, then you apparently shoot competitively. In which case I'm surprised, no... I'm shocked that you are using KF ammo. If you suggest that wind is not a factor with .22 LR at 50m, then frankly, you haven't shot very much .22 at that distance. Even a very light breeze that you don't compensate for at 50m will, as Vikram said, wash you out of competition. At 50 m, you can have wind blowing one way at the muzzle and another way at the target. Watch video of small bore competition and you will see multiple wind flags all along the course.
You didn't mention the price of the ammo you are suggesting.
CCI is cheap and not that extensively used by competitors. Some of their target ammo is Green Tag, Select and Pistol Match. CCI Standard velocity is pretty consistent stuff but not used by competitors. it is about $6 per 100.
Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra is about $6 to $8 a box of 50. "SK" is about the same. (This stuff is made by Lapua). Just be careful about Wolf as they make some cheaper steel cased ammo which I certainly wouldn't use in an Anschutz, especially of that vintage as it is likely to score the chamber.
The more expensive Eley and Lapua is $10 to $15 a box of 50
There is some .22 ammo that goes up to $22 a box of 50.

Federal Match Target is about $10 a box but it is not in the same league as some of the others. Remington makes some "Remington-Eley" ammo which is about $10-$12 a box but once again is not in the same league as some of the others. The above two are consistent and don't throw many fliers but I've had better results with the Wolf.

If you're interested in pricing some other brands of ammo, go to MidwestUSA and check their prices. if you want to know more about .22 LR ammo performance at various distances, check this post: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... ts#p159191
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 am

BowMan,
I think feeding IOF ammo to a specialized target rifle is a big folly. Unless one is concentrating on trigger control and sight picture, IMHO. One should not pay attention to the kind of group one achieves with it. If I were you, I'd use this ammo to foul and warm up the barrel before shooting a few quality ammo through this rifle in practice sessions, . Just a suggestion.

Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks Vikram and xl_target for all the information and links. Really useful. But don't you think new KF is not so bad a cartridge after all for practicing trigger and breath control for the money it costs!

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Why does he ask questions in the first place if he is so sure that what he is doing or intends to do is right?