12 bore ammo type

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

12 bore ammo type

Post by perfectionist1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi Guys,

As I had mentioned earlier my father has Isaac Hollis & Sons - Eclipse model 12 bore SxS, inherited from my grandfather who imported it from England.

Earlier I use to see lot of 'LG' shots with my father and with my grandfather used to have big slug shots for big games, but now my father informed that only KF no. 1 is available. Pity, thats only birdshot type.

I have seen on IOFB website they are selling 'Astram' shot, is it a slug shot?

Kindly help me with the information of the no. of shots are available in market and about astram, this is requested for 12 bore shotgun.

Looking forward to your expert advice.

Cheers .......

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: 12 bore ammo type

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am

Perfectionist1,

The reason you don't see any LG's/ SG's/ other buckshot being sold is, any multiple projectile cartridge, which has projectiles with an individual dia equal to or exceeding 5 mm is classified as prohibited ammunition - hence maximum size allowed would be BBB, or you go in for a single projectile round like a slug or ball. See the relevant text of the notifications below:
G.S.R. 375 (E) (June 21, 1980): In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (h) of sub-section 2 of The Arms Act, 1959 (54 of 1959), the Central Government hereby specifies the following as prohibited ammunitions within the meaning of the said clause:

Any multiple projectile ammunition in which any projectile has a dimension of 5 mm or more.

G.S.R. 376 (E) (June 21, 1980) In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 11 of The Arms Act, 1959 (54 of 1959), the Central Government hereby prohibits the bringing in to India ammunition of the following description namely:

Any multiple projectile ammunition in which any projectile has a dimension of 5 mm or more.
When this notification came out, people who held stocks of such ammo were given a grace period within which to use up/ have it converted to a different loading. Once that grace period expired, anyone in possession of such ammo would be on the wrong side of the law and liable for prosecution. Even old cartridges, which may/ may not be serviceable any more would not be exempt from this.

As per the Arms Act the Govt. of India is well within its rights to declare arms & ammunition of any description as prohibited, merely through a notification to the effect.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 pm

perfectionist1 wrote:I have seen on IOFB website they are selling 'Astram' shot, is it a slug shot?

Kindly help me with the information of the no. of shots are available in market and about astram, this is requested for 12 bore shotgun.

Looking forward to your expert advice.

Cheers .......
Astram is not a slug, it is no.1 bird shot. Regular KF no.1 cartridges are 65 mm where as Astram is 70 mm.

In KF we get Astram (70 mm, 34 gram load), Magna (70 mm, 32 gram load), BB, no.1,2,4 and 6 (all in 65 mm)

In Shaktiman there are three types of slugs available i.e spherical ball, destructor and hollow point. Also there is BB and 4.8

Shaktiman 4.8 has 35 lead shots having diameter 4.8 mm. Because government of India banned shots above 5 mm therefor Shaktiman came out with this cartridge. It's in 70 mm case and In my opinion one of the best cartridge available in India for self defense. Though Shaktiman ammo burn dirty but they are quite powerful.

Then there are imported ammo available like RC 4, Clever Mirage in 7 1/2 shot and slug.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Dear Abhijit,
Thanks for providing the insight to the laws, great help.

& Cheers for cheers sir....

Dear Vineet,

Thanks for such a detailed and useful info, I am sure many of the IFGians (including me) and the guest from google will be benefitted.

Hope these ammos are freely available.

Cheers....

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 am

The 4.8 nomenclature used by Shaktiman is incorrect, there is no such thing as a "No. 4.8"! The size BBB has a nominal diameter of 4.83 mm (0.19"), there are actually larger dia birdshot as well - all the way up to 5.84 mm (0.23")... Wonder why they don't mark their shells properly as BBB... :roll:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Here is a pic of some of the commonly available 12 gauge ammo that I own.
Photo0048.jpg
From right to left : KF Astram, KF Magna, No.1 Bird shot, BB, No.2, No.4, No.6,Shaktiman destructor slug, Hollow point slug, Spherical ball, Shaktiman 4.8, RC 4, Clever Mirage 7 1/2 shot and Clever Mirage slug.

Few days back I saw ammo manufactured by a private company named 'Power'. The company is located in Ganganagar, Rajasthan. Their over all quality seemed to be poor, as it happens with every product related to firearms, in India. Will post its pictures in next few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Sirs, thanks, please keep the info coming.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Regards,
I did use power company slug 2 years back but it was okay .As far new amno of Shatiman is concerned this is new news for me. I have heard Shaktiman slugs r good .But my dealer told me that clever slugs r the best. I have 4 clever slug cart. How r the R.CS i have recently bought these ?

saleem
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by saleem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 am

Shaktiman slugs are the most powerful available in India. As for mirage the load is milder and quantity of powder is less.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 am

Hello ADVISE REQUIRED,
I have bought some 'Shaktiman' Rifle slugs. I believe it is also called ball ammunition and was advised by someone that I should not use this ammo in the choke barrel as it would blow up the barrel.
I feel that if it was so, there should have been a warning on cartridges. Or maybe I am unable to read it, if it is in fine print (need reading glasses, getting old).
Would love to get the opinion on this from the experienced people, as I would hate to damage my newly bought gun.

Regards