which binoculars

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 am

Hi Rajat,

I don't have a Nikon ATB but my friend does.
the stuff on the net says it has close focus of 8 feet, does this mean that its will not be able to produce clear images of objects at less than 8 feet.
Never used a binoc for something that close but what the manufacturer says above sounds correct. Are you sure it's 8 feet and not metres? Pretty good if it's the former.

Their optical design means that once the individual diopters have been set to the user's own personal settings, eveything further away than 15m (9.5x42) or 8m (6.5x32) will be in focus thus eliminating the need to have a central focus wheel.
Sounds like they are using the same technolgy as some of the Steiners Ranjeet mentioned.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:00 am

sat wrote:I used a Leica 8x50.
And what a beauty that was! When they say armour coated they really mean it. Eh, Sat? :wink:

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:06 am

hi,

sat

Leica is way out of my budget range. the max i am can spend is USD 350 and lecia starts at USD 450 + and the proper ones cost over USD 1500.

the same is true for the pentax you suggest as well, too expensive for the time being.

rajat

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:54 pm

Mehul, will speak to my friend who works for Lufthansa. I think I would stick to 8x power. Was thinking of 10x for birding but rather play safe due to shake from prolonged viewing ...

Rajat, you could also consider a good roof prism bino. Had done some research a year ago on a decent roof prism which should fits into your budget. Will try & see if I can find the details. Mehul what do think?

And what a beauty that was! When they say armour coated they really mean it. Eh, Sat?
They mean what they say.... with optics you get what you pay for.

sat

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Well, with focus free thing..as Mack The Knife mentioned my bino focusses automatically..and if you did not have this feature then using a bino, in my opinion, would be a little painful..
with optics you get what you pay for
I couldn't agree more.. I checked out Zeiss 8X56 Dialyt and compared it with my Steiner..its a huge difference not in optics but weight and feel..and more so because Zeiss is roof prism..its much lighter..But i feel less robust than a steiner..
Its day and night between a Tasco and a Zeiss :mrgreen:

And the amount of light / detail you can see, is also amazing, between what a 40mm objective and a 56mm objective can do...

To answer Mehul, well I did not see a Steiner Scope here until now..the only time I was looking at scopes was when I was looking for a scope for a air-rifle..bought one too - a cheap Tasco :mrgreen:

Sure did check out the Kahles, Zeiss, Schimdt Bender, Docter and so on- all above 900-1000 Euros...I ain't got a rifle..I am more of a shotgun man..Not that I own one either :mrgreen: ..but hopefully I'll buy one soon...My scores in trap are improving a little bit now:) (some pics in ISSF section)

Cheers
Ranjeet

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:27 am

some tech detail on binos... from EO

Focusing Binoculars

The ability of a binocular to focus closely is important for watching butterflies, the critical identification of birds in the field, or observing the intricate detail of other insects or plants. The actual close focus distance depends on the optical design and to some extent on your own eye characteristics. A minimum distance of 18 to 20 feet is usually acceptable, but many birders prefer models that are capable of a near focus of 8 to 13 feet (these work well for feeders outside a window). Butterfly watchers appreciate near focus distances less than 10 feet.

Center Focus System

This system adjusts both barrels of the binocular at the same time. You use a separate diopter adjustment on one eyepiece to compensate for differences in the strength of each of your eyes. For birding or general wildlife observation, you will definitely want a center focus model.

Individual Focus System

With this system you adjust each barrel separately. Individual focus systems work especially well for astronomical or marine observations when the focus distance is seldom changed. Though this system is no more precise than the center focus system, it is more durable and cheaper to manufacture. Note: hunting, nautical, and military binoculars tend to use the individual focus system since targets are often 25 yards or more away.

Porro Prism Vs. Roof Prism - two basic optical designs.

Porro prism binoculars:

This design can deliver a wide field of view with excellent image sharpness. Traditional Porro prism binoculars have off-set barrels that are larger and bulkier than roof prism binoculars. Modern designs and production methods now make it possible to produce smaller Porro prism binoculars that may actually weigh less than a roof prism of the same configuration. The reverse Porro prism design reduces the overall size of a binocular and is commonly used for compact models.

Roof prism binoculars:

Roof prism binoculars are generally smaller and more streamlined than Porro prism binoculars. They have straight barrels and a compact optical design that is able to tolerate rough treatment better, too.

Higher quality models have an internal type of focusing mechanism which gives them a high degree of structural integrity. They are less susceptible to internal fogging and potential dust and moisture entry.

Top quality roof prism models require precise tolerances when manufacturing these complex prism configurations (one reason roof prism models often cost significantly more than Porro prism models of the same quality).

Eye Relief:

Eye relief refers to the distance where images are projected from the ocular lens to their focal point. Binoculars with longer eye relief project the image through your glasses all the way back to your eye. This distance can vary from as little as 5mm to as much as 23mm. Without this increased distance, the eyeglass wearer will only see part of the field of view that is seen by those who don?t wear eyeglasses. Models designed to give extended eye relief are sometimes called high eye point binoculars. If you plan to use your binoculars while wearing either eyeglasses or sun glasses, you?ll find models with an eye relief of 15mm or more will provide you with comfortable viewing. With the eyecups extended, these same binoculars can be used without glasses. Keep in mind that many long eye relief models will not have a particularly wide field of view.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:07 am

Rajat,

Check out the prices at www.scopesnmore.com The number of brands that they have is limited but their prices are easily among the best in the USA and their delivery and service are excellent. I bought a rimfire scope for my wife's 22 rifle from them and couldn;t be happier with their service.

Sat,

Do check with your friend and let us know how it works. I used to know a bloody beautiful girl who worked for Lufthansa as an airhostess but haven't seen her in a few years now and don't know how to contact her either - if I did, I would have checked. In any case, I'll also try and find out through my nephew - he arrives in Chicago on the 8th as far as I know.

Thanks for the information on the binoc types. Yes, a phase coirrected roof prism binocular pair is something that would put any Porro prism type to shame - that said, as you pointed out, you get what you pay for. In many cases, we have to make a compromise between price and quality... :(

Ranjeet,

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your trap and skeet matches.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 am

Sat, forget the binos. Find Mehul's airhostess!!!

:wink:

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:31 pm

Sat, forget the binos. Find Mehul's airhostess!!!
Just what I was thinking!! :wink:

Mehul, PM with all the detail please.. :wink:

Rusty, How is your mobile behaving after you dropped it in the river.. for the record Mack The Knife mobile has gone into auto dial mode.... I received a few blank calls from him....

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:56 pm

Rusty, How is your mobile behaving after you dropped it in the river...
Working just fine but damned if I know how it dialled your number. Thought you were pulling a fast one, so checked the log and it shows me making a call at 16:46 hours.

Later the digicam took a dip as well but its working fine. That was a great session and nothing like the fishing people think or read about. Caught bug*3r all though. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:57 pm

That was a great session and nothing like the fishing people think or read about.
In that case I like to know more about your fishing adventure.. How bout a short writeup on Bop's site.

S

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:40 pm

In that case I like to know more about your fishing adventure.
I charge 1000 bucks a line. Cheaper for you to call. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife