Advice for .32 Webleys & 12 bore DBBL Gun

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Advice for .32 Webleys & 12 bore DBBL Gun

Post by vkpd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi all..

Just acquired a Mark IV .32 Webleys rev. & a 12 Bore DBBL Gun (Manton & Co.) from my grand dad.

Both have been a family heirloom & were probably bought during the 1940's. Question is that the rev was last used to fire a shot or two some 10 yrs back or so...but the DBBL has not fired since memory serves me..(say well over 35 yrs.!!). While the bullets (25 rounds) present with me for the .32 rev are of imported & IOF make, the 12 Bore cartridges (18 Nos.) are imported & some of them are moist & corrodded, all of which were purchased many years back. I did put them in the sun for a while which has got back some firmness in the 12 bore cartridges...but some crtridges make a rattleing noise when you shake them. I have never fired any weapons but desperately want to fire afew rounds from both.

Pl. advice whether I should use the existing 12 bore cartridges to fire. Any precautions I need to take considering both the weapons have not fired in along time specially the DBBL. Would using the IOF bullets be ok for the Webley.

Shall remain grateful for good advice.

Vishal

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice for .32 Webleys & 12 bore DBBL Gun

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 pm

It is not unusual to hear the shot rattle when you shake a shotshell, especially in older types. But if they have been moist, chances are very good for them to misfire; or if the primers are still good, but the powder is moist, hangfire. Paper cases usually swell when moist, and they may not even chamber in your gun.
Having not been fired in many years means nothing to a gun if it is otherwise in good condition, unless the barrels are heavily rusted.
I can see no reason not to use the IOF ammo in the Webley. But if the cases should split, discard them without firing.

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks...appreciate ur reply..
At the risk of sounding stupid, may I ask... should the 12 bore ammo chamber into the barrel..would it carry any risk in attempting to fire them in terms of damaging the weapon or hurting self if the cartridge misfires?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am

If you pull the trigger and the hammer (or whatever mechanism your gun uses to set the primer off) falls but nothing happens, it would most likely be a dud. On the other hand, with improperly stored ammo, it could be a hangfire.

If the cartridge misfires, keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction for at least a minute, just in case it goes off.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:23 am

In case of a misfire, which I think would happen, do not immediately open the gun, and keep it pointed in a safe direction. A hangfire (delayed ignition) with a shotgun cartridge is not really that dangerous, but it still can cause injury in the form of burns. And in case of such a malfunction, always make sure the barrel is clear before firing another round through it. A misfire is neither dangerous to the weapon, nor to you. Neither is a hangfire, as long as you don't open the gun to soon, or leave debris in the barrel for the next shot. The latter would be likely if the primer is still good, but the powder has deteriorated. A very weak report, and little recoil, would signal that, with good chance of heavy powder residue and wads left in the barrel.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:08 am

vkpd,

12 ga ammo comes in different lengths.The most common in India are 65mm (2 1/2" )and 70mm (2 3/4").While the old cartridges that you have should tell you about this,but I would not place too much reliance on that.Better check on the gun itself.Firing 2 1/2" cartridge in a 2" chamber or 2 3/4" in a 2 1/2" chamber might not be very healthy for you or the gun.

In case of the revolver,I would get fresh ammo.A bullet stuck in the barrel is certainly going to ruin your day. Seen lots of old revolvers with bulged barrels from people picking up old ammo and firing it.A partial ignition will lodge the bullet in the barrel and the subsequent shot will likely cause a bulge.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 am

In addition to what all has been said earlier, both your firearms need to be cleaned thoroughly and oiled before and after the use. However just before usage you should wipe off the oil from the action, barrels etc.

It would be nice to see a few pictures of your firearms .

best,
Rp.

Post corrected, thanks for pointing out the error WTP.
Last edited by The Doc on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:56 pm

The Doc wrote:In addition to what all has been said earlier, both your firearms need to be cleaned thoroughly and oiled before and after the use. However during the usage you should wipe off the oil from the action, barrels etc.

It would be nice to see a few pictures of your firearms .

best,
Rp.
To the contrary,remove any traces of oil from the bore and chamber before firing.BTW KF .32 S&W Long ammo uses corrosive primers and so you need to clean accordingly after firing it.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 pm

As far as possible do not fire old IOF ammo in gun or revolver.IOF still uses corrosive primers in sporting ammo as they are cheaper to produce.During my visit to the factory of Shaktiman in Bellary in 2005 i saw the Shaktiman Cartridges being loaded. The gunpowder was IOF make in original packing. The primers were of French manufacture.When asked as to why IOF primers are not being used in conjunction with IOF gun powder. The reply was that IOF primers are corrosive with short shelf life of about three years after which ignition is not sure.The French made primers were non corrosive and moisture sealed. I do not know what tests were conducted by them to arrive at their conclusion. However i would rely on the wisdom of Shaktiman based on their experience.My own experience is that IOF 12 gauge cartridges lose their punch after couple of years.I fired twelve years old plastic shell Winchester 1 oz. slugs from my gun the other day.The recoil and noise foot print would put brand new IOF ammo to shame.

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks..would like to post the pictures...but I do not see any 'add attachment' feature in the mail option...

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:35 am

vkpd wrote:Thanks..would like to post the pictures...but I do not see any 'add attachment' feature in the mail option...
Link .... http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5211

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:13 pm

hks2056 wrote: The primers were of French manufacture.When asked as to why IOF primers are not being used in conjunction with IOF gun powder. The reply was that IOF primers are corrosive with short shelf life of about three years after which ignition is not sure.The French made primers were non corrosive and moisture sealed. I do not know what tests were conducted by them to arrive at their conclusion. .
French made primers? Wierd... havent seen any French made primers on sale in France.

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 pm

The Doc wrote:
vkpd wrote:Thanks..would like to post the pictures...but I do not see any 'add attachment' feature in the mail option...
Link .... http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5211

best,
Rp.
Hi...have tried to upload it here...dont know whether the link would lead you the picture...but u may try at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1173355911 ... vXm74e2vwE

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Nice hardware there . :)

After you shoot the Webley please let me know if you were comfortable with the small grips.

best,
Rp.

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:00 pm

The Doc wrote:
Nice hardware there . :)

After you shoot the Webley please let me know if you were comfortable with the small grips.

best,
Rp.
Thanks...u r right..the grip is a little small...the ring & little finger curl under the butt ...but all the same u do get a firm grip with the index & middle finger...yes i guess firing would be the proof of the pudding!! Will post on the outcome...