Traps for clay shooting

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Traps for clay shooting

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi all!

does anybody know if the import of traps used to throw clay birds is restricted/prohibited?

i came across a lot of online sellers in england offering a good bargain. am quite tempted to buy one and bring it with me when i return. it would be a dream not to be tied to the karni singh range, and head off to the great outdoors with a few friends and a safe backstop!

any ideas?

anand
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Traps for clay shooting

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:53 pm

Anand,

I cannot see you having any problem at all.

A friend of mine brought back one from Oz and he is one those super careful chaps. However, he rarely has free time so I would like to have one of my own.

Hence, grateful if you could put up the links to the sites you came across.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:35 pm

I have one of these and it has worked well on several occasions. If you can swing it well, have a good arm, it can launch clays about 100 yards. About $7 at Walmart.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:28 pm

hi Mack The Knife,

my intended sources are:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_cat.asp?main=5. have shopped with them before. they sent me a red dot scope instead of the hawk MAP i'd ordered, but swapped it as soon as i protested.

e bay: the shooting goods/clay shooting links leads you to a lot of chaps selling cheap traps....both hand held and spring loaded

http://www.euroguns.co.uk/acatalog/Clay ... traps.html. no idea how they are like.

considering a simplistic, spring loaded, lever kind of thing that would be easy to dissassemble and repair rather than the complex remote operated variety. was a bit hesitant with the hand held one....seems to introduce too much of the human element with it's inconsistency.

anand
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 pm

The only thing to be concened about is the weight - the Bowman Junior is probably the lightest but it still weighs 7 kg and I`m not sure whether it will throw two clays - I have no experience of using one.
I have a manual trap and it works well. We used to use it a lot years ago for practicing without having to spend a fortune. Only cost about £40 and still works fine. Good fun - especially when launching odd size pairs.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 pm

The only thing to be concened about is the weight - the Bowman Junior is probably the lightest but it still weighs 7 kg.
Ouch! I dare say that would cost a bit in postage.

The plastic one from Walmart is worth a go.

Thanks for the replies.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:48 pm

The plastic type shown above is available from many sources - not just Walmart. The problem with them is that they don`t present the clays at all well and take a lot of practice to throw even a reasonable bird. Plus there`s the fact that the thrower is launching the bird from an unnatural location.......unless he doesn`t mind being shot ! Almost worst than useless in my opinion.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 pm

Plus there`s the fact that the thrower is launching the bird from an unnatural location.......unless he doesn`t mind being shot !
That is Inder's problem. :mrgreen:

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:32 pm

[quote="Mack The Knife Bana";p="14688"]

[/quote]

Inder... when are getting your over under ? :twisted:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Grumpy, you're scaring the guys. Like I said, I've myself used the hand thrower several times and it just takes about 5-7 tries to get the hang of it. Stand a little behind the shooter to the right or left and make a smooth swinging motion like swinging a tennis racket launching a high ball. I've even seen the ones that launch doubles.

I'd say, for the money, it really a bargain. The spring loaded ones get tiring after a while, maybe not Inder.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 am

You mean you don`t find it disconcerting for the clay to shoot past your elbow at waist height....or higher ? Or for them to whizz by on the ground ? Or for them to smash into the ground just in front of you ? Or for them to hit you in the back of the legs ?
Been there, experienced all that and have not been amused.
The tennis ball launchers are more useful........and the `clays` are reuseable.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="14688 wrote:
Plus there`s the fact that the thrower is launching the bird from an unnatural location.......unless he doesn`t mind being shot !
Ya..but before that someone need to tell me how to operate this and while that someone will be telling me imagine where the gun will be........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 pm

[quote="Sujay";p="14689"]
Mack The Knife Bana";p="14688 wrote:

Inder... when are getting your over under ? :twisted:
[/quote]

Soon very soon....just wait..... :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 pm

kanwar76";p="14744 wrote: Soon very soon....just wait..... :D
Date noted - just for the record.... ;)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm

kanwar76";p="14742 wrote:Ya..but before that someone need to tell me how to operate this and while that someone will be telling me imagine where the gun will be........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What the dickens are you talking about?

The gun shouldn't even be around at a time like that. But if it has to be held whilst instructing it should be unloaded and the action open.

Mack The Knife