Take-down shotgun case info required.

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Take-down shotgun case info required.

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:41 pm

Other than the Tom Collins branded cases are there any other such cases being made in India?

Could be hard or soft sided but the latter would need to have padding.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Take-down shotgun case info required.

Post by HSharief » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 pm

A really cool dude I met online used to make really good quality cases. I never handled them but he sent me pics once and they seemed to be very well designed and made. Last I chatted with him, he was looking at some better materials to make better cases. I hope he is where he wanted to be.

Oh wait, it was you wasn't it Mr. Bana. Please let us know how goes that endeavor.

BTW, I found another soft case that I like, its Uncle Mike's Over and Under Shotgun Case.

Found here of many places online

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

I like Dosko cases - they make a very wide range of styles and types which allows you to select pretty well exactly what you want. Worth having a look at.
Go to: http://www.dosko.co.uk/?gclid=COvXjsSp8 ... MAodjgTUpg
Prices are shown on the website but discounts are often available from dealers.
For field use I reckon the Napier Roller gun slip is superb. It`s waterproof, padded and lightweight - 185 gm. The best thing though is that when you get the gun out you just roll up the `Roller` and clip it to a belt loop. AND it only costs a tenner ( £9.99 ) !!!
One of the best - and best value - shooting accessories available in my opinion.
I`m waiting for them to bring out a version that can be used with scoped rifles - ASAP please !
http://www.napieruk.com/slips.html

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Sharief,

Ironical isn't it that I should be asking about gun cases? Made quite a few of them in all shapes and sizes but I still haven't found the right sort of person to continue what got stopped by tragic circumstances

I did try out a chap who was making leather luggage and accessories for the export market but he drove me up the wall. He thought he was doing me favour.

That's not a bad case. Could you take pics of the insides please, as I would like to see how the barrel and stock are retained.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:24 am

Hi Grumpy,

Funny you should mention Doskosport or what we used to know as Gun Guard until a few years back. I have had a few of their cases (five, if I am not mistaken) from both ends of their spectrum. Whilst they gave adequate protection for single rifles or pistols, I was always a bit circumspect about their take-down case as the egg shell foam seems to be the only divider. If you have used this whilst driving over bad roads and recommend it, I will most certainly consider it.

If you will pardon a bit of trumpeting, I was making 'rollers' long before Napier came out with them. ;) Still have one but that now serves as a caddy for my fishing rod tubes. However, it would not hurt to shell out a tenner for another roller.

I also quite like the concept of Napier's Gun Slip Protector 2. Would you recommend it?

OT but are there any other Napier products you would highly recommend? What interests me most are their bore solvents and gun oil.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:37 am

Hey Rusty, I tried hard but cd'nt find pics of the inside of that Uncle Mike's case. Grumpy, I like the Protector 2 myself, how much do they cost ?

Here is a Browning case this guy sells on Ebay all the time.

I like this take down one from Plano Molding, item # 1535. says it has a "pillar" in the middle. I saw the regular pillared cases and they do have pillars in the middle to make it crush-proof like they say.

Check out the other lines they have:

Pro-Max Pillared and Z-Series
Protector Series

Here are some others I found though. Google gives you quite a few soft take down cases.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 am

"If you will pardon a bit of trumpeting, I was making 'rollers' long before Napier came out with them."
Who`s a clever boy then ? !
" I also quite like the concept of Napier's Gun Slip Protector 2. Would you recommend it?"
Can`t recommend it because I`ve never tried one but I would like to get hold of the backpacker version - I`ll let you know how I get on with it.
Egg case type foam works fine as long as it is dense enough and there is enough of it so that when the case is closed the gun can`t move around.
"OT but are there any other Napier products you would highly recommend? What interests me most are their bore solvents and gun oil."
Napier are a company that seem to put the time into developing their products before releasing them to the public. The result is that they work, work properly and tend not to break. I REALLY rate them as a company.
Their VP90 vapour system works very well - I`ve recommended the product here before. Something that might interest you particularly is the VP90 Super Shield which puts a durable protective coating over metal surfaces. Their gun cleaner aerosol is a very effective multi-purpose product.
I downloaded the catalogue to check out all Napiers products and discovered that they DO make a version of the Roller for scoped rifles - it`s called the `Roller +`.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Hi Sharief,

When I asked for the pics, I was under the impression you had a Butler Creek case. No worries about the pics and thanks for the rest. That last one looks particularly handy but I wouldn't like to have the butt and breech block / lumps sticking out like that.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: I prefer having full length piano hinges on my hard guncases if possible.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:15 am

Grumpy,

Thanks for the thumbs-up regarding Napier.

I plan to shift to Ballistol as a gun oil and metal protectant because I understand that it wont harm the wood even if it manages to get in there. I hope to get a sizeable quantity by Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:00 pm

"I plan to shift to Ballistol as a gun oil and metal protectant because I understand that it wont harm the wood even if it manages to get in there."

Neither will those Napier products.
I have to admit that I`ve never heard of `Ballistol`. Who makes that ?

Full length, piano type hinges aren`t necessary ( IMO ) but metal hinges are - plastic hinges are a waste of time.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Neither will those Napier products.
Excellent! If the Ballistol does not come through, I might ask B.A.R. to send me some.
I have to admit that I`ve never heard of `Ballistol`. Who makes that ?
I am genuinely surprised you haven't heard of Ballistol. It's made by a 90 year old German company called Klever. Amongst various uses the oil can even be used as an antiseptic against minor cuts and stings.

About Ballistol

The Klever Company
In 1874, Friedrich Wilhelm Klever, an attorney with interest in economy, founded the "Klever Company" in Cologne, Germany. Klever began producing oils and greases from coal - so he would not run out of raw materials he eventually bought a coal mine!

The Birth of Ballistol
At the turn of the century, the German Army began looking for a versatile oil to be used by soldiers in combat - a versatile product that could be used to clean and protect metallic rifle parts, to protect leather gear and wooden gun stocks and even to disinfect minor cuts and scratches.

Freidrich's son, Dr. Helmut Klever, had become a professor of chemistry at the Technical University of Karlsruhe and set out to develop an oil which would answer the Army's challenges. In 1904, he succeeded in creating a new oil with many amazing capabilities - he called the substance Ballistol, a combination of the word "ballistic" and the Latin word for oil, "oleum". The Army tested and approved this new "ballistic oil" and began using it in 1905.

'The World's Most Versatile Oil'
Within a decade, this amazing product became popular with hunters, hikers, skiers, mountaineers and others engaged in outdoor activities throughout much of Europe. Millions of users continue to use Ballistol - and to be continually amazed at the versatility and the high quality results.

Uses:

Lubricate and preserve all types of firearms and Air weapons.

Remove lead, copper and tombac from barrels, actions and chambers.

Clean carbon and soot deposits from porting on semi-auto's.

Neutralise and remove acidic residues from black powder.

Seal and protect wooden gun stocks.

Clean and preserve leather holsters, belts and slings.

Lubricate and clean non tungsten loading dies.

Lubricate and clean brass cartridge cases when sizing.

Tumble lube - cast lead bullets.

Clean and maintain melting pots, moulds and tools.

http://www.ballistol.co.uk/

http://www.ballistol.com/

I believe there is a Swiss company that makes a similar product called Brunox, though I do need to check how much they share in common.

Mack The Knife

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi,

Recently I met the guy who manufactures Tom Collins holsters etc in Delhi
(not made by DGH). Told him about Indians for guns and asked him to join the forum. We shud have him amongst us soon.

Raks