Ammo dimensions

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Ammo dimensions

Post by eljefe » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:39 am

great site-gives many cartridge dimensions

http://www.municion.org/
on the left column, click on fuego centrale-centerfire and a whole drop down list appears...click on the caliber you want

its in spanish, so you'll have to use a language translator -many available on the net...
Heres what I got wrt my Jeffery:

Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:13 am

Ah Asif, you still have the Jefferey 450/400. A real classic. Even we have one in Patna. My elder cousin has it, a William Evans made by James Purdy.

I knoe Eley Kynoch make ammunition for this calibre again, but any available in Delhi - surrounding ares ?

Another relative of mine wants to give me his Sauer, Germany made .375 Mag H & H Double. Kynoch make this too, but are cartridges available for this. Kynoch did mention Ahmed Ilahi Baksh in Muradabad as a dealer. WOuld any IFG members be from Moradabad ?

If I can get hold of a 100 cartridges, I would acquire this very fine Rifle. It would be . 375 mag H & H Rimmed cartridges.

Also looking for some fresh 450/400 rounds.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:04 pm

Shahid,
I love the Jeffery.Awaiting the manufacturers original record copy from Texas.
There was a bit of a controversy, which was clarified -William Evans 'of' Purdey was a misnomer as William Evans was a salesman, later , probably a manager for Purdey, before branching out to make his own rifles/shotguns.
Actually not Purdey!
An uncle of mine who has a 16 by the same maker was rather disappointed on learning of the non Purdey status of William Evans.
I think at one time he was asked to cease and desist by a formal law order, from using the Purdey name.
Most Jefferey guns were subcontracted from Birmingham and other places and assembled/finished by Jeffery with their stamp.Rather fascinatng, the history of gun making especially doubles, in UK.

All said and done, William Evans guns are sturdy and should last you well into 22nd century.I have handled 470 and a 16 by Evans.Fine guns.
Suggest you try Faridabad Gun House-seems to be a whiz for getting most ammo-if you can pay his price-he's listed in the dealer section.

Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 pm

William Evans had a gun store in London. No factory. He used to get his guns / rifles manufactured under his lable from other London and perhaps Brimingham GUn makers.

The 450 / 400 in Patna has this stamed.

William Evans, made by J. Purdery & Sons.

penpusher

Re: Ammo dimensions

Post by penpusher » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Forgeries are not a uniquely Indian phenomenon and were there before 1947 :lol:

Cheers,
penpusher

toyfj40
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 am

An "English" site with many cartridge-dimensions is:

http://www.ReloadBench.com/cartspec.html

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:19 am

There is also Reloadersnest which is run by Morten Kjus who is a trainee at one of the top London gunmakers.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:19 am

If a gun has
"William Evans, made by J. Purdery & Sons."
written on it the marks are fraudulent and were added later ( I presume that `Purdery` is a typo or spelling mistake and should actually read `Purdey`.)
William Evans did style himself "William Evans of Purdeys" on the first guns that he had built but Purdeys strongly objected to this because Evans was a former counter assistant of theirs ( never a manager ) not a gunmaker. They took a legal action against Evans forbidding him to use the `of Purdeys` style on his guns and advertising.
There`s little evidence that Jeffery did much assembly or finishing to the guns that bear the name. They had a small workshop for a few ( short ) years but that was probably used only for stock alterations and the like.
Jefferys guns - especially the sidelocks - are much more consistent in style than William Evans guns. Jeffery appears to have sourced particular guns from particular makers so that there is a definite house style. Wm Evans guns were made by so many different Birmingham that there is no consistency at all. Jeffery sold a phenomenal number of guns from the late 1890s up until WWI which is an indication of how highly they were regarded - and still are.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:24 am

Quite possible Grumpy. This William Evans 450/400 could have been made by anyone in Birmingham. As did so many other people at that time. Which source in Birmingham, this was guarded with zeal.

Jeffery too got their guns / rifles made at various makers.

However, this particular double is a fine piece of English craftsmanship. This was purchased in 1940s by the late QZ Rizvi, the chief of police of Bihar in 1960s. We got hold of it a few years ago after he passed away. Mr. Rizvi used to hunt with my Grandfather and later my father. From his diaries, from 1940s to 1970s, this rifle (not a weapon) has accounted for over a dozen Tigers, many Leopards, Wildboars, Blue Bulls and Sambhar. The gang took it to Africa on their African Safari in 1968.

It is a fine rifle and occupies pride of a place in our gun cabinet. Purdey spelling was a typographical miss on my part of course.