The new 5.56×30mm "Indian"

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The new 5.56×30mm "Indian"

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:51 pm

I personally do not see the point of this caliber. For Varmint shooting, shooters are already spoilt for choice. With everything ranging from 17 HMR through to .50 BMG dependent on how deep your pockets are, and what your aspirations are.
The market here doesn't always make sense. If one could boil down the available rounds to only those that provided a range of useful calibers, we'd have two things here: probably less than 10 cartridges available and a lot of angry gun people. Really, the 7.62x39 makes very little sense for any kind of American shooting, but an awful lot of it is sold.

New cartridges are introduced by gunmakers just like new models of cars are introduced by carmakers to gin up interest in their products. It's not necessarily rational, but it is very rational to the folks who are selling stuff.

Over here, the .22 Hornet keeps on selling year after year. People like the idea of a lightly powered round that can be chambered in a light, handy gun similar to a .22 LR, but with much more power.

I can't defend the logic or the need of such a round, but only say that it could have market potential in the right circumstances.

-- Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:23 --

I would also note that the comments about the quality of ammo are spot-on. Any market here based on surplus ammo would certainly depend on the ammo being of reasonable quality, and earlier "episodes" with IOF wouldn't be a selling point.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm

interesting... yup, we need to go beyond the days of Isandhalwana and LEARN from Kargil and mumbai.Which basically taught us that its always the man behind the machinines,and that our politicos have no scruples.I know of several kargil vets who would roast me over a slow fire for mentioning the INSAS.
Lets moan and Bi**h here, as the ARDE,DRDO and the much vaunted R&D agencies continue their combined onslaught ,a la the famed battle tank
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Or even the fizzling nukes.. :deadhorse:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Ref: http://www.gizmag.com/aa-12-combat-shot ... tic/11393/
"Defense Review reports that troops in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars apparently complaining that their M4A1 carbines and other 5.56x45mm assault rifles aren't scaring the 'bad guys' or stopping them in their tracks fast enough. The bullets are simply zipping through the skinny insurgents and failing to drop them without multiple hits."

God only knows what the babus at IOF have learnt from Kargil and Mumbai or the wisdom behind 5.56x30 rounds by them.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Ref: http://www.gizmag.com/aa-12-combat-shot ... tic/11393/
"Defense Review reports that troops in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars apparently complaining that their M4A1 carbines and other 5.56x45mm assault rifles aren't scaring the 'bad guys' or stopping them in their tracks fast enough. The bullets are simply zipping through the skinny insurgents and failing to drop them without multiple hits."

God only knows what the babus at IOF have learnt from Kargil and Mumbai or the wisdom behind 5.56x30 rounds by them.
This is one of the reasons why the old 7.62mm M14s are making a return.... to make up for the lack of 'reach' and 'oomph'
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:31 am

what goes round comes around :shock:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.