Want to import Katana in luggage

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
vikram69
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by vikram69 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm

i want to know if its possible to bring a katana through customs in an indian airport even if i put it in my luggage will i need documents or will they confiscate it because its an symbol of a culture and not a weapon anyone know about the laws on this one

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by MoA » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:47 pm

I think you will need a license. I am pretty sure blades over a certain lenght are not allowed...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:07 am

IIRC blades more than 9" in length and/ or more than 2" in width would be a problem. Excepting agricultural implements.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

swordfish123
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by swordfish123 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 pm

I am planning to get one too. Did you get it. Please do let me know. There is not much info on getting swords.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 am

swordfish123 wrote:I am planning to get one too. Did you get it. Please do let me know. There is not much info on getting swords.

Swordfish, did you read what the posters above wrote?

-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

aarkay
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aarkay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 am

katanas can be imported by baggage or by air cargo.the duty for knives and katanas are 29%of the cost and shipping charges.for imports visit www.swodsofeast.com they will send u a quote for price and shipping through ups.try to get them using your international credit card.ups will get it cleared from customs and deliver it to you.you have to pay them the shipping charges and custom dutys at your door step
I AM ACCURATE DEADLY AND ALWAYS CORRECT.SON OF A GUN

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:12 am

aarkay wrote:katanas can be imported by baggage or by air cargo.the duty for knives and katanas are 29%of the cost and shipping charges.for imports visit http://www.swodsofeast.com they will send u a quote for price and shipping through ups.try to get them using your international credit card.ups will get it cleared from customs and deliver it to you.you have to pay them the shipping charges and custom dutys at your door step
seems like it is http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 pm

A sword will fall in category V,ie arms other than firearms.

"Rule 19.Arms other than firearms.
Unless the Central or State Government by notification in the Official Gazette so directs,no license shall be required for the manufacture,sale,possession for sale or test,of arms of Category V except in the areas notified under Section 4"

pauldeathangle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by pauldeathangle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Ok I am not understanding anything. I live in mumbai and have been practicing martial arts for the past 10 years. I've been doing kenjutsu for the past seven years and now my sensai finally thinks I am fit for a katana. I've got a seller. I've got my finances intact and everything but I just cant make Head or Tail of the legal implications. Do I need a license to IMPORT, POSSESS and CARRY a Katana in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India? if so where am I supposed to go for that? What do I do? One place tells me I dont need license for non-firearms and The other tells me I need a license for a blade above a particular measurement. Really really confused. Somebody help.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 pm

I've had some katanas made here locally, copied from surrendered arms from WWII(Andamans), by our own sakligar families. They are the old swordsmiths to the Rajput clans. Should anyone want any made as per his requirement please PM me, i'll explain what can be done. However, point to be noted is that cost is major factor, transport should be handled by the buyer and all legal angles are the buyers responsibilities.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

Katanaji beware, plans being made to smuggle you!

Jokes aside, the problem with WW2 era katanas (officer class) was that they were cheap machine reproductions of the fabled Katana.

One in a thousand or even less was an antique katana modified (downgraded) to make into an officer class. I dont think we are lucky enough to have such a piece in india. And even if we do, do we have the experts to spot it?

When you say the local blacksmiths can make similar ones, do you refer to the shape/style or the technique too?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 am

pauldeathangle wrote:Ok I am not understanding anything. I live in mumbai and have been practicing martial arts for the past 10 years. I've been doing kenjutsu for the past seven years and now my sensai finally thinks I am fit for a katana. I've got a seller. I've got my finances intact and everything but I just cant make Head or Tail of the legal implications. Do I need a license to IMPORT, POSSESS and CARRY a Katana in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India? if so where am I supposed to go for that? What do I do? One place tells me I dont need license for non-firearms and The other tells me I need a license for a blade above a particular measurement. Really really confused. Somebody help.
You cannot import a Katana until you have a license against the same. Arms act clearly state that you would require a license to possess a blade that is more than 9 inches in length or 2 inches in breadth (unless it is practiced by the religion that one is following, for eg. Sikhs).

The license can be procured the same way an arms license is procured. You would have a genuine case as it is part of an art that you're practicing. You would be required to attach relevant papers to prove your case in front of licensing authority.

Hence, the best option would be to visit the Licensing Authority, check with the officer for papers required and get it over with, and then only go for the import.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Shooter,

Pleasure to reply to your posts once again! Been a long time.

You are absolutely correct about the fact the Japanese officer class must have been issued katanas that would have been massed produced. However, let us not decieve ourselves in thinking that they were of inferior craftsmanship. Even after 65 years of the Jap surrender, these blades could just slice a man in two! That was precisely the reason and that at the end of the war, the Japs were issueing bamboo sticks instead of the swords to their troops, because it would take hell of a long time to keep making them.

Now about the swords that I have had made-these were literaly copied design wise, including the steel scabbard, unlike the wood/ bamboo laquer that is done on made to order blades. Secondly, made to order blades would have silk thread bindings on the hilt. The military swords have leather thongs. Like 'pattis' so to speak. As for the blade itself I just had them tempered twice and electroplated. The craftsmanship required on the swords that I had made, require new dyes for brass pieces for the scabbard, pommel and hand guard. That really took up a long time.

But, of course, patience and art go hand in hand. The end result is good and much appreciated. Also, we must remember that these pieces are commisioned for pleasure and not for actual usage!

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken there is a factory in Dehra Dun which makes katanas, altough I'm not sure if they do still make them. They are the same outfit that makes Khukhris for Indian Army.

M24,

Just about any Rajput household would have swords, believe me, even today. They are revered and worshipped almost on a daily basis. Gain the trust of a Rajput friend and the treasure will come tumbling out! :) There are a thousand and one types of steel for various purposes and of varying craftmanship. However, I can't justify where a katana would fit in here. But after years for seeing swords I can just say that the art of sword making peaked in India itself. The Perso-Mughals just refined it. The Japanese and European/ Western edged arms are not a patch on what was made here. The sad part is that there are few patrons of this art and the new generation of swordsmiths would be hard pressed to join their peers.

Regards,
Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Katana ji , very true.
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Katana wrote:
Moreover, if I'm not mistaken there is a factory in Dehra Dun which makes katanas, altough I'm not sure if they do still make them. They are the same outfit that makes Khukhris for Indian Army.

Regards,
Katana
Khukri making is almost a cottage industry in Doon.
Amongst the better known names here is the "Windlass Steelcrafts" ......The guys who made Khukris for the British Army (Gurkha Regts) . Also the armour , helmets and swords for Hollywood Blockbusters like "Gladiator" and "Lord of the Rings".