Want to import Katana in luggage

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by Subal das » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:52 pm

Katana wrote:The last of the lot of 5 that the swordsmith made, has been picked up by a fellow IFG member just yesterday! You would be surprised at the cost though. It's fairly affordable.
well .. see if you can get one for me then

can it scare away bad spirits too if i will keep it under my pillow?
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 am

Has any one heard of the famous 'Sirohi sword' that was tempered by lightning? Is there any truth in that or just a tale of fiction? Any information would be welcome. Do they still make swords in Sirohi? Where would one be able to find a master blade smith?
Bruno22
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 am

Subal,

A lot of members are showing interest in this sword. Just got me thinking if I should ask the swordsmith to make another lot! :)

Bruno22,

I didn't think you would really believe all this 'lightning' stuff! The only lightning tempering the blades would be the hands of the swordsmith :lol: Jokes apart, the three main arsenals of Sirohi, Udaipur and Jaipur and of course, the main one at Agra produced some armour of outstanding craftsmanship and durability. As far as Sirohi is concerned, one sakligar family still practices their art. I am in touch with a few families in Udaipur and one each in Rajkot and Kheralu, both in Gujarat. If there is anything you would like to have made, I could guide you, provided you respect the article.

Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 am

Katana wrote:Subal,

A lot of members are showing interest in this sword. Just got me thinking if I should ask the swordsmith to make another lot! :)
:agree: count me for one
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Katana,

Any ideas on the price??

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Katana,

Add me please for rapier in pic.

Cheers
Biren

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 pm

I also own an Indian made Katana. It is similar but with a leather & wood sheath. Will try to post pictures sometime soon.

By the way, Katana, where did you get the old wood box from?

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:04 pm

I spoke to the swordsmith today evening and convinced him to make a few more of these katanas. He is going to produce about four. As far as the the cost is concerned, he is willing to mark down a bit because he has already recovered his initial cost of investing in the dies for the brass parts. He should take about three weeks to ready them. Anyone wanting a piece is welcome to talk to him directly (PM me I'll give you his number) or with myself.

Rajat,

The old wood box is a 'patara', typical Gujarati piece of furniture used to store anything from utensils to quilts etc.

katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Things are getting quite interesting now. I somehow missed this topic earlier. I did not expect to find people here talking about Sankela, Faulad (new and old), Jauhar, Laheriya blades, Khandas etc.

I thought we were just discussing modern knives here.

I am quite surprised and pleasantly too.

Wonder what the box will cost and the availability of similar pieces

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Rajat, check some old threads, there are some knowledgeable people talking about swords from that same moment when Brahma created one for Lord Shiva, so Shiva in his horrifying form of Rudra can protect Dharma. Finally Kripacharya gave this sword to Pandavas, and that was a big mistake.

if you decide to go for Char dhama, local guys can show you the place where Pandavas dumped all their weapons into the river ... see what they have done ... it is why nowadays Indian people looking for importing katanas from Japan, but have you seen katanas with less then 9" blade?
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Subal, I cannot say much about the mythology part but as far as these weapons are concerned I am on home ground.

I am familiar with all these types of weapons and jargon and metals and styles for a long time now.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Rajat wrote:Subal, I cannot say much about the mythology part but as far as these weapons are concerned I am on home ground.

I am familiar with all these types of weapons and jargon and metals and styles for a long time now.
why not you start new thread and share some of your knowledge about swords, I would be happy to learn more too
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

A new thread will not be of any use. It is what you can contribute on the moment that makes a difference. Whenever I feel I have something worthy to share I give my inputs and at other times I learn.

I have been interested in, using, collecting, studying edged and some other weapons since my school days.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm

The repro katanas are coming along just fine. Will be moving to 'to sell' section shortly.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm

A bit late but as promised earlier here are pictures of the Katana that I have owned for the past several years. Did not clean the blade for the pictures. It is oiled as a basic rust prevention measure.