pocket knife import experience using post or courier

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

pocket knife import experience using post or courier

Post by biking3819 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:52 pm

hi guys,
to be honest i waited long before i posted as i thought someone here share experience,but nothing came more than what was obvious.Initially i always wanted to buy small blades,but i found whatever 'imported stuff' was available in India had prices which in no way justified their actual value,so i gave up and finally thought of getting a few by post other than what i already got in baggage from visits abroad.
here's my experience-i started building interest in knife not so long,but i did a lot of reading books and through internet and i wanted to share it with fellow buddies here who have similar interest.

the knives in 20north ,a popular website these days in India to buy from amazon and other online stores in the us ,are still expensive compared to the value of the product.

first-china made knives are as cheap as 10-20usd which are sold at a much higher price than its value in India,the price we pay for these junk steel just does not justify the price neither it has any collective value,other than enjoying nice shapes :) ,there's no comparison of knives made from chinese 440c steel 'with' made in usa 420hc or solingen steel from germany,or s30v or vg10 from japan

i had got knives from my last travel abroad and later by post for awesomely less price which opened my eyes on actual knives and their craftmanship,the smith and wesson/gerber /schrade etc, all made in china due to obvious low manufacturing cost by their original comapnies were 400 to 800 in rupees but the same brands made in usa had different steel and craftmanship,also kershaw/cold steel/ spyderco(not byrd) were 2000 rs and more as they had german or japaneese vg10/aus8 steel,
however as a personal opinion if someone want a cheap knife in India and not to buy one and shipped by post a very good first choice would be the popular swiss knives for their price and quality, or else nothing compares to knife made in the usa,solingen,seki-japan,and finally if offshored by american companies to 'Taiwan',the products are of much higher quality than the chinese steel ,
as you know just the steel is of no use untill its hardened well,440c china knives just cant comapre with 440 knives made in the west ,just 'cuz they are not hardened well.
china made knives are good just for collection not for much use,as they get blunt soon,they are good if you buy them for 1000 or 500 rs-for more you have good steel knives available.

my choice therefore was to get them directly from shops online,i had a few,my uncle got a few,only for personal domestic use /collection/or exchange with other buddies,
i would also suggest not to order in bulk ,remember the customs will ask for 'iec' code in case you import in bulk for sale and ,
finally
a.dont try saving in nontrackable post or courier, always use a tracked system,
b.blade length should be below 9inch in length and 2inches in width and no assisted opening.

for me a blade is not only for defence but is also the oldest 'handtool' known to man for meeting daily chores of life,also it is a piece of art.

NB-the customs have all rights to hold your blade incase they need an explaination,please communicate and get it released if you have valid reason and blade specs are not bigger than the specified rules.
Also these are my personal experience and i should in no way be blamed if your blade gets confiscated.

:cheers: Sanjiv

For Advertising mail webmaster
sudesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: pocket knife import experience using post or courier

Post by sudesh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Sanjiv,
Can u plz suggest any online store except 20north & Amazon.
And do post some snaps of ur collection.

:cheers:

Sudesh...........
लोड करके राईफल, जब जीप पे सवार होते...
बाऩध साफा जब गबरू तयार होते.....
देखती है दुनिया छत पर चढके.....
और कहते
"काश हम भी जाट होते"......
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:39 pm

hey sudesh,
i buy from deadwoodknives and other auction stores.
-sanjiv

sudesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sudesh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 pm

thanx Sanjiv
लोड करके राईफल, जब जीप पे सवार होते...
बाऩध साफा जब गबरू तयार होते.....
देखती है दुनिया छत पर चढके.....
और कहते
"काश हम भी जाट होते"......
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Well, I really don't think that all products made in China for the US / European markets is junk. All production, particularly for knives / cutlery, of reputed fire-arm manufacturing companies and many others, is under licensed production wherein strict quality control is adhered to. USA companies do not accept substandard products as their reputation is at stake. I refuse to believe that Smith & Wesson, Colt, Remington, Schrade, Winchester, Browning etc. would throw away their reputation with substandard steel ! We actually confuse the US bound products with the Chinese products which come directly to India, which is surely junk.

Even electronic majors such as Nokia, HP and others get their products made in China under licensed production ! Do you think that these companies would be peddling junk ?

Again coming to knives, it is purely due to low cost of production in China, the product prices are low. Ofcourse the steel quality like Seki Japan, Solingen Germany etc. make a difference in price.....

My 2 cents worth... :evil:

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:54 pm

olly sirji,
it was my personal experience and i put my views about getting knives at a justifiable cost wherever possible.
the very reason of offshore production is reducing cost of product and be competitive,if that very point does not stand truth,and there is a choice of a better product for similar priced knife we get in India ,than its better to opt for a postal route ,and since it isnt as difficult as getting an air pistol/rifle with club memberships and what not,than why not try the post if one has the time or the patience :) .
nb-please however take this into consideration that the knives that you put on sale in this forum are awesome and are highly in demand infact a great start for people like us its a matter of luck that we get one.
the price is very good considering the shipping cost for one quality blade and assured delivery,but then its in short supply,what i refer is grey market shops and some gun shops were prices are so blown up and fakes in abundance.
:cheers: sanjiv
Last edited by biking3819 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banjara
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Banjara » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Hey Sudesh, i wrote to you from my office email and you never did revert.
Cheers
Last edited by Banjara on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Banjara wrote:Hey Sanjiv, i wrote to you from my office email and you never did revert.
Cheers
sorry,
i never received any :( .can you send again.
cheers sanjiv

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:29 am

guys can we not go for traditional knives...i m planning to get some designer work done...we need to promote of people ..the sikligars a tribe who make them are almost unemployed...i would suggest if you are spending over 1000 to go for the local ones..i found some good ones on http://www.nvsikligar.com/
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:56 am

I imported recently 5.11 Tactical Series C.U.B. Master Knife Karambit
knife was in Delhi foreign post office for 17 days and then finally custom cleared.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Mandy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mandy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Everybody,

I am a new member on this forum and i am into collecting knives (just started a year back, though they have fascinated me since childhood). And currently I own one small buck knife (got from a import store in Mumbai).

May i request you all to help me resolve a small problem. I wish to import a custom made small knife from an online store from US. The knife measures 4 3/4" overall with 1 3/4" blade. What is the best courier that will not have any problems in delivering the knife in India (UPS, USPS, FEdEX, DHL etc.) The dealer uses USPS (I think this is not good). Will I face any legal trouble (confiscating, legal suit, jail etc) in getting this knife. Will the customs/posts/courier create problems etc.

Please let me know the procedure/rules to import the knife.

Many thanks,

Mandy
:|

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Mandy wrote:Hi Everybody,

I am a new member on this forum and i am into collecting knives (just started a year back, though they have fascinated me since childhood). And currently I own one small buck knife (got from a import store in Mumbai).

May i request you all to help me resolve a small problem. I wish to import a custom made small knife from an online store from US. The knife measures 4 3/4" overall with 1 3/4" blade. What is the best courier that will not have any problems in delivering the knife in India (UPS, USPS, FEdEX, DHL etc.) The dealer uses USPS (I think this is not good). Will I face any legal trouble (confiscating, legal suit, jail etc) in getting this knife. Will the customs/posts/courier create problems etc.

Please let me know the procedure/rules to import the knife.

Many thanks,

Mandy
:|
For the size of the blade you mention, it won't even be noticed by anyone. I have directly purchased two knives from US - on Spyderco Meerkat with 2.5" blade, and other Fenix cheapo, with 2.75" blade. Both came through normal post, and perfectly fine. The cost for the first knife was ~40 USD, and the second was ~15 USD.

Now if you wish to get a "custom" made one, it may be very costly - and you may run into trouble with customs. US stores will declare a correct value and if it is high ~100USD or so, customs will hold it back for no good reason I know of (last time I got two flashlights total worth ~65 USD, they slapped a duty of Rs. 800).

-Amarendra

ltmuana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ltmuana » Sun May 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Ok, so you guys have been able to import knives, eh?? Well, I trying to get some and its been 2 months since I look around the web for custom laws and such. I understand that a blade length below 9" and 2' in width can be imported. Now, I've seen some knives from 20North and other sites (thanks 2 you guys) and I feel that I should import some (of course 1/2 at a time). Its just that I'm a knife lover (since 5th yrs old that i used to carry a knife) that I can't pass by a good knife. So, tell me guys, will I be able to import it in India (Delhi/Bangalore, resides in both.?? Also tell me if there is a store in Delhi/Bangalore to buy knifes and stuff. Btw, i have also visited nvsikligar.com and if the products are good I would like to buy their Katana, what do you think??

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 am

I recently had placed an order for a USMC Kabar and a really cool Zippo at 20 North. This is the response I got

Dear Moinuddin,

We are writing to inform you that we have cancelled your order # 347746418100 and done a complete refund of Rs. 7656/-, since they fall under the list of restricted products. This refund will reflect in your credit card/banking account within 5 working days.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best Regards,

Sofiya Potrick
Member Services
www.20North.com

If the blade length was below 9inch in length and 2inches in width and no assisted opening, then why the restriction in importing ?

Thanks
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:52 am

I also imported two knives by normal post, USPS will be going trough Indian post. Both knives 5.11 tactical CUB karambit and Kabar Fin clearly military knives with no domestic use, no problem at all.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"