Khukris Wanted

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:24 pm

Yaj,

Thanks for typing out your experience importing the khuks. Food for thought there...

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Khukris Wanted

Post by Pran » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Yaj,
Excuse my ignorance.What's EMS service? Aren't the contents of the parcel scanned?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:35 am

Pran";p="11376 wrote:Yaj,
Excuse my ignorance.What's EMS service? Aren't the contents of the parcel scanned?

Pran
I was referring to Express Mail Services. The USPS refers to it as Global Express Mail

Check it out here
http://www.usps.com/business/shippingto ... tsservices

The parcel comes with the customs release so i guess they screen it in some way
Yaj.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 am

[quote="Yaj";p="11388"]
Pran";p="11376 wrote:Yaj,

The parcel comes with the customs release so i guess they screen it in some way
Yaj.
[/quote]

...so why wouldn't a knife sent by Ems get you into trouble? Do they have a minimum length?
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:38 pm

[/quote]...so why wouldn't a knife sent by Ems get you into trouble? Do they have a minimum length?
Pran[/quote]
As i said in my first post,my first khukri was a 25" one and the customs officials themselves were'nt clear about any size limitations.
The next two khukris are 18-19" too which is pretty big so all I can say is they reached me without any problem.I have no Idea what the specific laws are regarding size.
Maybe I was plain lucky :D :D :D
Yaj.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Yaj";p="11397 wrote: Maybe I was plain lucky
Yaj.
You sure were :)

Thanks for the info

Pran

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the detailed post Yaj !

No post on customs bores me ;they are always welcome :D
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi,
DOnt know if i missed the second half of this post anywhere - were there any bowies designed? did anyone get one made?
JSS
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Thu May 24, 2007 12:00 am

Ranjeet Singh";p="5641 wrote:Gentlemen,

Is someone aware of somebody in India who deal in Khukris and can ship to bangalore. I am intrested in buying one. After seeing Mack The Knife's Service no 1. Khukri, I would like to know if someone deals in India with them. Ofcourse done my share of googling where I found many guys shipping it from Nepal, but our customs??

Regards
Ranjeet Singh
Hi Ranjeet,

There are a few dealers in Dehradun I believe,from personal exp I have seen their Khukri's to be pretty decent, though you may need to rework the handle and the hilt if its used heavily.But thats not too tough to accomplish, any decent carpenter can help you out. I have used them a lot while trekking to cut wood,slaughter and chop lamb, so I can vouch for their sturdiness. If you can get in touch with someone you know from Doon. The Knives should be easy to procure.
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Thu May 24, 2007 8:36 am

OverUnderPump";p="20460 wrote:Hi Ranjeet,
There are a few dealers in Dehradun I believe,from personal exp I have seen their Khukri's to be pretty decent, though you may need to rework the handle and the hilt if its used heavily.But thats not too tough to accomplish, any decent carpenter can help you out. I have used them a lot while trekking to cut wood,slaughter and chop lamb, so I can vouch for their sturdiness. If you can get in touch with someone you know from Doon. The Knives should be easy to procure.
Thanks O/UPump, for answering that query. In fact I have got a couple of them already, shipped from Nepal.

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 24, 2007 11:00 am

Bylekuppe (hope i spelled it correctly) Near Kushalnagar in Coorg has a Tibetian settlement - you can get Kukuris there - I got a very nice big decorated one for 850/- (you have to bargain).

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu May 24, 2007 9:19 pm

snIPer";p="20469 wrote:Bylekuppe (hope i spelled it correctly) Near Kushalnagar in Coorg has a Tibetian settlement - you can get Kukuris there - I got a very nice big decorated one for 850/- (you have to bargain).
Was at the Tibetian settlement a year ago.Picked a couple of knives there.Didn't see any Khukris though.

Pran

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri May 25, 2007 10:12 am

Thats strange - Exactly opposite the temple gate is a kind of shopping complex - you will find it there along with many other fancy knives.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri May 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Sniper,
Please do post pics of the khukri.Is it one of those cosmetic ones sold to tourists or is it usable?

Pran

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 pm

[quote="Ranjeet Singh";p="20464"]
OverUnderPump";p="20460 wrote: Thanks O/UPump, for answering that query. In fact I have got a couple of them already, shipped from Nepal.

Regards
Ranjeet
[/quote]

Ranjeet

Please do share your experience importing the Khuks from Nepal,it would benefit the all the members keen to lay their hands on one.

Himalayan Imports is based out of the US,hence the request since you have imported direct from Nepal.

How much did it cost,hassles if any.

For those looking to purchase locally the best ones come out of Darjeeling or any of the Gorkha Regiment Centres.

In Kathmandu the place is Thamel,there are many shops just selling Khuks.I picked up one in 04,no hassles with customs on return.It is a given,if returning from Nepal.

Thanks

Sanjay