Anatomy of a lockable folding knife.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Anatomy of a lockable folding knife.

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:04 pm

My Byrd Cara Cara had taken a bit of a dip in the Bay of Bengal recently and even though I had rinsed it out with fresh water and gave it a generous dose of WD40 and oil, I was still feeling uneasy about it rusting in the more difficult to reach places.

Hence the strip down, clean and re-lube.

The parts.

How the locking mechanism works.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Any fish-luck at the Bay?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Anatomy of a lockable folding knife.

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 pm

I hope you managed to put it back :D :D

Yep as 10X asked.. So when are you going to post reports of your recent Sea as well as fresh water fishinng trips :?:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:34 pm

It's easy to put back and one doesn't need to refer to Google either. ;)

There was no fishing to speak off, so no reports.

Mack The Knife

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sitar » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:40 pm

foldable kinfes are banned in india???
Irrespective of the direction of the wind, the smoke from the cigarette will always tend to go to the non-smoker.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:10 pm

sitar";p="55826 wrote: foldable kinfes are banned in india???
Since when?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sitar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:37 pm

mundaire";p="55831 wrote:
Since when?
i am not telling . i am asking. are they banned.
Irrespective of the direction of the wind, the smoke from the cigarette will always tend to go to the non-smoker.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:13 pm

sitar";p="56089 wrote:i am not telling . i am asking. are they banned.
No they are not...

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sitar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:10 pm

mundaire";p="56100 wrote:No they are not...
OK i understood

:lol:

wait a minute i think as i remember automatic opening are banned

really SORRY to be OT

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:44 pm

sitar";p="56109 wrote:wait a minute i think as i remember automatic opening are banned
In some countries they (switch blades) are banned, but not in India. Please feel free to confirm this by checking the Arms Act & Arms Rules in detail at http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india/laws/

The only restrictions are to do with the length & width of the blade, not the mechanism.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 pm

AFAIK, One cannot carry/possess any folder knife longer then a 3.5" blade on one's person within city limits. There is no restrictions against keeping the longer bladed knives at home or against carrying them while one is enjoying outdoor activities like tracking,camping etc. in the wilderness/out of city limits. Switch blade kinds are not looked upon very kindly by the concerned authorities and is not recognized as a sporting knife either by sports persons.. Switch bblades are banned in the USA but assisted opening blades are allowed. Similarly Balisong or Butterfly knives are banned in the UK. In our beloved India, a switch blade is categorized as a mean menacing "RAMPURI" made famous by our own film villains.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:22 am

Marksman,

I don't know of any such restriction in the Arms Act/ Arms Rules per se. However, I believe the local administration can notify further restrictions on the types of arms one may carry within their jurisdiction. Is this restriction something imposed by the local Mumbai administration/ Police?

BTW, a couple of months back I had a chance to pick up a few Rampuris - from where else, Rampur ;) Anyhow, the locals led me to believe that the switch blade Rampuri is not the traditional one that the city is famous for, but instead it is the folder which opens with several clicks of a ratchet before the blade locks into place. Not sure if this is true or if the shopkeeper was just spinning a yarn... maybe one of the members from the Rampur/ Muradabad area could shed more light on this...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sitar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 am

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:04 am

mundaire";p="56143 wrote: ...BTW, a couple of months back I had a chance to pick up a few Rampuris...
I had three very nice Rampuris more than a decade ago... Guess I lost it when I moved (or my mom should have aptly 'trashed' it)..

Does anyone know of places in Bangalore where I can source it - to add to my miserable collection :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:05 am

mundaire";p="56143 wrote: BTW, a couple of months back I had a chance to pick up a few Rampuris - from where else, Rampur ;) Anyhow, the locals led me to believe that the switch blade Rampuri is not the traditional one that the city is famous for, but instead it is the folder which opens with several clicks of a ratchet before the blade locks into place. Not sure if this is true or if the shopkeeper was just spinning a yarn... maybe one of the members from the Rampur/ Muradabad area could shed more light on this...
Cheers!
Abhijeet
I think the shopkeeper was right Abhijeet. Though I dont have a Rampuri knife, that is what I remember them as in innumerable Bollywood movies,they definitely were not the switchblade types. Where in Rampur did you buy them? I plan to visit Rampur/Bareilly sometime in the future to see if there are any genuine Rampur hounds left so maybe I can pick up a few (knives)myself.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!