Where to find good knives in kolkata?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Where to find good knives in kolkata?

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Hello friends!
I find it very strange that when some of our members talk about Gerber and stuff we do not have the places of procuring them here in Kolkata, except for some stray shops selling them in Fancy Market/ Five Star Market. So friends let us all build a directory of places where we can find good knives in and around Kolkata.
I also further take this opportunity of asking all the members to kindly enligten us whether there are any shops who can courier the stuff alongwith their contact numbers if possible.
And what is your experiece of getting them from sites?
thanks
Jayanta

For Advertising mail webmaster
firetrail
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Where to find good knives in kolkata?

Post by firetrail » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I didn't want to increase clutter by posting a new topic, so apologies for posting my query here: -

I am looking forward to buying a Katana. Not a display-only sword, a functional one. While I would be ready to go to any place within the country to procure one (if possible), it WOULD be convenient for me if stores selling such are available in or around Calcutta.

So, erm...folks, know any place?

P.S. In case 'battle-ready' swords o other kinds are available in India, I would also like to know where :)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 pm

In case 'battle-ready' swords of other kinds are available in India, I would also like to know where
You can get them in Patiala.The Buddha Dal of the Nihangs have their headquarters here and have a shop from where they sell the swords that are made at their workshop.Come down to Patiala and we can buy you a nice 'battle ready' sword.I am sure they don't take kindly to window shoppers, so don't ask me to go down and check out the quality and workmanship or the price.Also,they seem to be partial to turbaned and bearded men in their dealings.In other words,if you don't meet this criteria,they will not sell one to you.Good luck to you if you decide to argue with a Nihang high on Sukha :wink: :lol:

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 pm

I dontk now about Kolkata - But in Bangalore you can come across some good swords and i'm not talking about the display ones - these are war proven - in Antique stores - seen a few in Comm st. and also there are some in a shop that has opened recently on Nandidurg road near Airtel office. The condition seems pretty good and prices arent too steep either.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:01 pm

penpusher,
If one is from Hoshiarpur with fairly good Punjabi speaking ability, BUT without a turban, would the Nihangs still entertain ?

I'd be a mile away if they don't... most dangerous men on earth...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Olly,

Come over and find out yourself :wink:

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Dear Firetrail,
Well I would suggest that you try the annual pous mela in Shantineketan for procuring your swords. Though you are not likely to find a katana but the swords you get are pretty good. The same annual mela shifts to Durgapur in the first week of January and you will find the same shop. So better luck with your hunting for a dream sword.
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:21 pm

I picked up a couple of nice antique (genuine not the fake antiques retailed at touristy places - trust me I know the difference) swords in District Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. The prices ranged between INR 800 - 2,500 depending on condition and quality of the blade. The blades were proper "faulad" (carbon steel) but the hilts were ordinary steel ones and not the highly decorated types (exclusive to nobility) plus they had no scabbards. Still, I thought it was quite a bargain really... bought a couple as gifts as I'm not into blades myself. Just FYI for those who are into this sort of thing...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

firetrail
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by firetrail » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for the answers, guys, especially Jayanta. Yes, I am based precisely in Durgapur, and it would be nice to check out what I can get here itself :D

What I meant by 'battle-ready' (that is a recognised term, by the way) is that the sword: -

1>Is forged/folded (not cast) out of carbon steel,
2>Has a full-length tang (not necessarily a full-tang) which is well secured, and
3>Can withstand good solid whacks on bottles, thin wood planks, etc.

Mundaire your answer almost EXACTLY picked up the points I wanted, right from the steel.

Thanks a lot, guys. Here I go swashbuckling.

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Dear Firetrail,
It is nice to know that you belong to Durgapur because that happens to be my hometown. pm me your number so that i can get in touch with you. And i have an intersting proposal for you the next weekend. Do keep in touch and positively then do not worry about your sword. Will be able to hunt down your katana together.
Cheers
Jayanta
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

phantom
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by phantom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:02 pm

hey jayanta you dont have to search much go to new market to any of the kashmiri retailer their you can fine some very good knives especially called (vojhalis)in bengali pardon my language i dnt know the english term of this thing bt i can assure you jayanta the best one you can get at 1380/-with nice cover and heavy & sharp very deadly wid awesome grip to hold it firmly and well covered easy to conceal if you r really interested you can have a look out their!!!!!this is totally my personal opinion........

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Hey Phantom
Well trust me the shops selling your " bhojalis" or else called the kukris in English or Nepali is basically trash which you get in the Kasmiri Emporium, maybe in the New Market, Calcutta or for that matter any where, while some serious kukris can be found elsewhere. My personal opinion is, without any malice meant is that the Kasmiri emporium stuff is rather ornamental than function and better kept left in the mattle than your regular use item. Buddy trust me have been using a knife since childhood and know the difference. All I can say that right now the best option is to hit the pages of Aimco and buy some real stuff if not getting ourselves fooled. And ocassionally try the dock are of Kidderpore or even a trip to either Fancy Market/ Five Star market would do you no harm.
Cheers
Jayanta

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

My apologies to everyone for bringing this topic up after such a long time. But the thing is I am a resident of Kolkata with a facination of Knives. Allways wanted to collect them (legally of course) But never knew how to. As it happens I ended up on this website just today. Fortune prevailing, I also found my topic of interest immediately. From there onwards it was very hard for me to resist.
Can any one help me out. You guys can always get in touch with me through email. For now.

P.S. Yes Zake is my real name. Might sound weird but I didn't name myself.

lets_not_debate
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lets_not_debate » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 pm

this thread died? if not could anyone enlighten us on how to procure quality knives from khiidderpore. ? I am interested in buying an army issue bayonet or a khukri. bayonet is more preferable.

priyamtheone
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by priyamtheone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 pm

In 2018, this thread is still very relevant. Even now, I can't find a proper source from where all info regarding getting knives around Calcutta can be obtained properly. I'm currently looking for a small but sturdy fixed blade pocket knife with safety pouch that I can use primarily for self defence as well as basic chores during camping or trekking. I'm also looking for a sharpener for the knife. Yet, I can't get any info on any shop around Calcutta that can provide me with these items. Any idea on this will be of much help.

Besides, as I can see here, no directory on knives has been built yet as proposed by jayanta mukherjee. I think people around Calcutta need to group together and make a few outings around the city on the weekends for a month. That's the only way to collect genuine info on the availability of knives and other items as such. I'll ask peers to drop their views regarding this and let's see what we can come up with.

Regards