Suggestions for a take-down recurve bow required.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Suggestions for a take-down recurve bow required.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:04 am

Got that itch again but don't want to buy any of the Indian offerings.

It has to be a take-down, a draw weight of 40 to 50lbs. (40lbs. prefered) and a right hand draw length of 29" (or bow with a draw length of 28" to 30").

Also please recommend the appropriate arrows for target use. Having said that, I am not interested in a full blown target bow but something very traditional which is better suited for instinctive shooting.

The cheaper the package, the better.

Thanks.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 am

You should have taken a peek at the Cabelas Archery catalog I bought to your place the last time. It has some good info... Will drop it next week when I come... :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Suggestions for a take-down recurve bow required.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:44 am

I can do that over the net. What I need is recommendations from archers.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Mack The Knife,
i have used a brand called internature very happy with their performance. i have a 30lbs RH, very accurate, but needs some practice.

for arrows i suggest the following
1. easton jazz
they are light and very handy. good for short range shooting.
2. maxums
slighty heavier and but very good for longer range shooting. i think the one used is called a model number. need to check though. but maxums as such are very good.

you will need , fletchings, arrow inserts, arrow heads and knocks that fit ur arrow. these are not high end products but very good for basic practice.

hope that helps.

regards
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:09 pm

sorry forgot to mention the internatures are takedowns and can be put together in abt 2 mins.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:23 pm

what u get is a package of 12 or 24 arrows with ,arrow heads, inserts if applicable, (the easton jazz dont need inserts, whereas maxums have screw on arrow heads so u will need arrow inserts.) fletchings and knocks fitted at a nominal cost. it works out better because fitting the fletchings at the right angle is crucial which has to be done using a jig.

a slightly higher end bows are the fred bears, they are good but expensive as compared to internature.

while ordering arrows make sure the arrow is atleast 2 inches longer than the draw length of the bow. for 40lbs i think u will need a draw length of atleast 26-28inches for a man of normal height.

regards
Parag

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:30 pm

Parag,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will look them up and hope they are not as expensive as the Fred Bears I have come across ($900.00 +).

Is there a particular online shop you would recommend and is it possible to import these products via post or courier?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:35 pm

pls dont import them by courier. pls dont. its a mess . the postal customs know nothing about it.

i need to look up my books. will suggest some tomorrow. its a lot easier to get them down from US or UK. make sure u pack the center piece and the arms in separate bags.

what is the price range you looking at, if u dont mind me asking.

regards
parag

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:57 pm

hi rusty try http://www.quicks.com/ its uk based, i buy my stuff from them.

hi Archer any idea where i can get target board? the big round straw type?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Parag, thanks for the warning. So long as their import is allowed, I don't mind paying a bit more for the courier service as they clear the consignment and deliver to your door. However, I'll look up the customs status for recurve bows and arrows to see if it's an allowable, restricted or prohibited import. I always thought recurves were allowed and that it is cross-bows that are restricted.

Would it be possible to get a bow and bunch of arrows within Rs.10,000.00? Like I said, I don't want an expensive or target type recurve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naga, I looked up Quicks earlier this morning but they only have a couple of TDs and neither appeal to me.

My first bow was from N.E. India and may well have been from Nagaland. It was taller than me (I must have been 9 or 10 then) and had two sections of a bamboo tied together, back-to-back. That was an excellent bow but my mother got rid of it when we were transfered from Delhi to Bombay. Are such bows still available because I would dearly like to have one again even though it is not a TD. The arrows were made of reed with field points and feather vanes.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:34 pm

P.S.: Parag, willing to go to Rs.25,000.00 for the right stuff.

By the way,Internature limbs seem to have a pretty bad reputation from the little I have read about them on the net.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:46 pm

According to me cross bows and long bows would come in category of (ITCHS code 93070000) SWORDS, CUT LASSES, BAYONETS, LANCES AND
ARMS AND PARTS THEREOF AND SCABBARDS AND SHEATHS

http://www.dgciskol.nic.in/pdfs/CHP_93.pdf

The import policy allows their import.

http://www.infodriveindia.com/Indian-Cu ... ANCES.aspx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks penpusher but what makes you think that x-bows and long bows would come in the same category as knives and swords?

BTW, the free import of knives, bayonets and swords means that the rule which prohibited the import of a knife with a blade being more than 9" in length and / or 2" in width is no longer valid or is there some other ruling tucked away in the customs' tome? Failing which, I suppose they may ask to see a valid arms licence if they want to get difficult.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Mack The Knife,

IMO they would not be covered by any other de.scription but this.The provision of the blade length and width pertained to exclusion from the the provisions of the Arms Act and not to import.In fact it is only now that the import has been made free.Earlier even the import of arms of category 9307 was restricted.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

hi Rusty will look out for bows here but these days far and few between to be seen, C C in Shillong may do better as near his house they shoot bow and arrows everyday around 3pm the Shillong archery club use the one you had when you were a nipper.

will ask CC
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.