The Wasp knife

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

The Wasp knife

Post by snIPer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 am

A new knife capable of instantly ‘exploding’ .

http://www.waspknife.com/ - More info on the knife.

'Edited to show this as an article on this type of knife and not to portray it as a threat'
Last edited by snIPer on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Alert on new horror wasp knife

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

At $379 a copy I bet you won't see many of these knives on the street, plus they seem a bit bulky:

Seems to my jaded viewpoint it is just more fear mongering from the worlds nanny state.

This article is also there, which I find infinitely more disturbing:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Not the original surely but Made in China might be on its way. And thats where the problem is.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:03 pm

snIPer";p="47413 wrote: Not the original surely but Made in China might be on its way. And thats where the problem is.
That's where the problem is??!! Surely you mean it the other way around - if they make them in China (at a cheaper price) that's when maybe the rest of us can get our hands on one of these (if anyone so desires)! Every such tool can be used responsibly or misused, that same holds true for this knife as it does for guns. Whose side are you on? The anti-gun nazis?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Will this be banned?
Even if it is legally banned, how will anyone stop duplicators?
Will those owning it need to have a license?
I have a lot of questions... and I guess I kinds 'fear' its misuse. Somehow, I am also matching my thoughts to decades ago when the first gun was invented. I am sure there were a whole big bunch of people out there who had questions like mine :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

TenX";p="47424 wrote: Will this be banned?
Even if it is legally banned, how will anyone stop duplicators?
Will those owning it need to have a license?
I have a lot of questions... and I guess I kinds 'fear' its misuse. Somehow, I am also matching my thoughts to decades ago when the first gun was invented. I am sure there were a whole big bunch of people out there who had questions like mine :)
Well as per Section 2 (h) & 2 (i) of the Arms Act:

(h) "prohibited ammunition" means any ammunition containing, or designed or adapted to contain, any noxious liquid, gas or other such thing, and includes rockets, bombs, grenades, shells, articles designed for torpedo service and submarine mining and such other articles as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify to be prohibited ammunition;

(i) "prohibited arms" means---

(1) firearms so designed or adapted that, if pressure is applied to the trigger, missiles continue to be discharged until pressure is removed from the trigger or the magazine containing the missiles is empty, or

(2) weapons of any de.scription designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other such thing, and includes artillery, anti-aircraft and anti-tank firearms and such other arms as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify to be prohibited arms;

Therefore, if one were to apply the dictionary definition of the word noxious here:

Harmful to living things; injurious to health: noxious chemical wastes.

It would seem that this knife by virtue of being designed for the discharge of noxious liquid, gas or other such thing - would be classified as a prohibited arm as per the Arms Act. This is of course a bit of a grey zone and can be open to interpretation.

Your fears are unfounded - a criminal would any day prefer a desi katta (country made firearm) shooting real bullets and being retailed for less than INR 1,000/- in places like western UP, it's cheap, easy to procure and deadly at short range... if he has the kind of spare cash needed for this sort of device he'll go in for a Chinese 9mm pistol... he is familiar with it's operation, it can do damage from a distance and ammo for it is readily available on the black market (I doubt if the gas canisters for this knife would be easy to procure in India).

This device though most certainly an interesting concept, and maybe even a useful one for it's intended purpose (as a last ditch close quarters means of defence against an attacking wild animal) is by no means some sort of super weapon that criminals are going to be lining up to buy.

What I find truly disturbing is the speed with which the members of a pro-gun forum are ready to accept the blatant scare mongering disseminated by an ill informed news article. Read --> think it through --> then react!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

What BS.The knife has to be thrust into an object for the compressed gas to have any effect.
The manufacturer describes it as perfect for downed pilots, soldiers and security guards and boasts that it will “drop many of the world’s largest land predators”
(www.birminghammail.net)

Would love to see the joker try to do this with a wild tiger or lion

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Read --> think it through --> then react!
I agree, and like I said earlier..."I am sure there were a whole big bunch of people out there who had questions like mine :)"... when the gun was invented...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 pm

It appears that the UK has been having a social problem with violence, and like most civilized countries instead of studying the problem and finding solutions it is easier to blame it on a symptom of the problem and not the social causes.

Remember when the crime was going to be kept under control by restricting guns? This is just another portion of the slippery slope.

Here is an interesting read from 3 years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4581871.stm

Where doctors are calling for the banning of long kitchen knives, as if that is going to solve the problem. They even have a group of "10 top chefs" who are reported to have said that long knives are not needed, so what use is for them?

Until people learn to not blame human behavior on physical objects this type of scare mongering will always continue, unfortunately.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 pm

mundaire";p="47418 wrote:
snIPer";p="47413 wrote: Not the original surely but Made in China might be on its way. And thats where the problem is.
That's where the problem is??!! Surely you mean it the other way around - if they make them in China (at a cheaper price) that's when maybe the rest of us can get our hands on one of these (if anyone so desires)! Every such tool can be used responsibly or misused, that same holds true for this knife as it does for guns. Whose side are you on? The anti-gun nazis?
The fear here is about this getting in the wrong hands and not if it should be banned or not. Like you rightly said every tool can be used as a weapon - responsibly or misused.
My reply was to a comment posted and not to take sides.

The last question / s - Whose side are you on? The anti-gun nazis? - this some kind of a joke??? Ppl are free to express their views if im not mistaken - what is this a nazi war camp or something :D

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Everything eventually gets into the 'wrong hands'including the kitchen knives, even if they're chinese made.
this was a simple principle in staving off shark attacks , a 7-8 ft pole with a sharp,hollow needle and a regular CO2 24g cylinder to feed it. The jabbing action gave enough pressure to open the co2 bottle.
-jab the attacking shark, it not only gets a poke, but fills it up with hi pressure air, which at any depth more than 12 feet may be lethal. Also, remember, sharks have no 'hard' bones, but are all cartilage.easy to burst.
Principle seems to have been modified enough to probably contain something like liquid nitrogen,going by the 'freezes tissue at point of entry...'
may have a use, but I am not depending on it to stop me a biggish lion from mozambique, or the lion poo may contain ice, besides bells :twisted:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 pm

In regards to the embolism factor, that reminded me of a defensive shooting where a woman was being pressed to the ground by an individual who weighed (IIRC) 280 lbs. The woman had a pocket pistol in either 22 short or 22lr, and I think it was a short. Anyway, she pressed the gun against his ribs and fired, which proved to be pretty much immediately fatal.

Not because of the bullet, which did not penetrate all that much but it was followed by the gas which filled his lungs as the muzzle was apparently pressed firmly into his flesh.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 pm

mark,
when they gotta go, they gotta go.
Whats the water level?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:07 am

If there are any sharks in the water this knife might be useful :lol:

Also know of two fellow's getting shot with a .357mag and running away without showing any visible effect.Also of a fellow who got shot thrice with a .45,twice in the chest and once in the stomach,who walked away from it.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 pm

eljefe";p="47475 wrote:mark,
when they gotta go, they gotta go.
Whats the water level?
There are still some homes by the river bank that have water in them, but the other 98% of homes have been moved back into.

Yesterday I drove in to St Louis and saw several hundred, if not thousand, acres that have been flooded and are still holding water. Most of that seemed to be farmland but there was sure a lot of it still wet.