Metal working enthusiasts Delhi

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
AnythingWooden
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Metal working enthusiasts Delhi

Post by AnythingWooden » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Hey, I was wondering, are there any of us here who are into metal working from Delhi, on this forum there are so many knife makers from Mumbai. Are there any meets or something for all the knife lovers/makers?
Also, Somebody please teach me! It seems kind of difficult to understand heat treatment, specially getting the metal to the right temperature. Ill probably first try to put a patina on one of my knives.
Come on New delhi. !

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Metal working enthusiasts Delhi

Post by pistolero » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:26 am

AnythingWooden,

The HT is the Heart & Soul of the blade. Forging or Stock Removal will give conceive the knife. HT will give it life. (not sure if i am using the right words :D )

HT depends on the Kind of Steel, the Knife Design, Size, etc etc

5160 Spring Steel, is pretty forgiving for learning. But you need a forge to do that!

However even before you venture there, get your self a Grinder and try forming basic shapes, with Files.

You can use a regular Electrical Oven to Temper your knives, if your just doing stock removal, this is good first step.

Try it, break it, get it too hard, too soft, all warped, that is the Journey.

Any metal you plan to Temper or Quench, Temp details are freely available online.

Feel free to drop me a line, if you need any help.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:16 pm

AnythingWooden wrote:Hey, I was wondering, are there any of us here who are into metal working from Delhi, on this forum there are so many knife makers from Mumbai. Are there any meets or something for all the knife lovers/makers?
Also, Somebody please teach me! It seems kind of difficult to understand heat treatment, specially getting the metal to the right temperature. Ill probably first try to put a patina on one of my knives.
Come on New delhi. !
Check out youtube channels like Walter Sorrels. He has good tutorials for everything about knife making.
Check out Jay Fisher's Knives website, he too has a lot of documented information on heat treating steels.
If you intend to dabble into Forging work too, then look up DF-In The Shop, Tobjorn Ahman, and similar blacksmithing channels for basics on forging.

I am in the process of setting up my forge, so I can teach you basic bladesmithing and metal forging. I have a certain degree of experience in both. I live in Mumbai though.

Search on google for "Tempering Colors of Steel (I'll try to attach one picture inline with this post, but you get the idea)

These colors will tell you the corresponding temperatures your steel is at. So watch out for them. Anything else you need, you can find me on Instagram as @hauptmann.pendse, or on My Behance Portfolio you can message me here, but do mention that you found me on IndiansForGuns

prashantjha19
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by prashantjha19 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Dear Rommel43,
So much appreciate both your passion and the keenness with which you are willing to take time out to share your knowledge, insights and experiences in this rather super speciality vocation. And on top of it all, your willingness to help!
I do some tempering of my resized springs,....and will also be trying my hand at tampering the trigger sear, and may be later, the barrel to try adding choke! Will look forward to learning from you.
Best regards,
Prashant

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

prashantjha19 wrote:Dear Rommel43,
So much appreciate both your passion and the keenness with which you are willing to take time out to share your knowledge, insights and experiences in this rather super speciality vocation. And on top of it all, your willingness to help!
I do some tempering of my resized springs,....and will also be trying my hand at tampering the trigger sear, and may be later, the barrel to try adding choke! Will look forward to learning from you.
Best regards,
Prashant
Thanks for your kind words, boss. Do keep in touch.
As for the question of tempering, I assume you are mentioning weapon parts. In order to temper them evenly, you will need a very large oven. It is difficult to rely on gas torches, even if it is a relatively small handgun barrel. You can use some sort of oversized kitchen oven that goes up to 300 Celsius. Should you want to construct your own, I have a few tutorials handy. Would be glad to share.