Market Demand for knives?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Market Demand for knives?

Post by rommel43 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:51 pm

dhanoni l wrote:
rommel43 wrote:Hi there, fellow weapon enthusiasts!

If you remember, I had once posted a question regarding martial arts equipment, and some of you had been of great help to me. I am eternally thankful for that.
I have now decided to graduate to bladesmithingn(Knife making) as a primary business. I am also going to diversify into mountaineering gear and comic weapon replicas. I have already found a few interested parties in Singapore, who are both collectors and suppliers, and am in the process of negotiating with them and providing them with samples. And also have a workshop which I expect to be fully functional by March 2018, after which I plan to go into production. Am still working on my designs, parallel to pursuing a degree in Product Design.

I now would like to hear your insights on the following question - "Do you think an India-based version of Cold Steel will survive in the Indian market? Are there enough people buying knives in this country?"
...hello sir!!!
I would like to know if manufacturing/blacksmithing knives and swords requires a special kind of licence or permission from the government.......btw ....i am also an up and coming bladesmith and (possibly) ur future competitor......best of luck
Why would I help you if you are a competitor? Hahaha

Just joking, man

I am still in the process of figuring out all that shit... Once I've set up shop I will share my insights with you. You are even welcome to visit me in Mumbai.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Dear dhanoni l

Till the best I know our day to day Black Smiths comes under Cottage industries and hence have some privilege. they do not require a license for manufacturing a knife or any other type of edged item.
But of course as per the Govt. Rule they only sale the items in non sharpened condition, though they have the grinding wheel and other equipment with them always. ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Regards

Shivaji

parsha77
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by parsha77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi rommel,

I am also a hobbyist knife craftsman. Till now I have made knives from leaf springs, old files and O1 steel. Will share some of my work here soon. I have been pondering of starting a custom knife shop for some time now. Would be great if we can get in touch.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:53 pm

parsha77 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Hi rommel,

I am also a hobbyist knife craftsman. Till now I have made knives from leaf springs, old files and O1 steel. Will share some of my work here soon. I have been pondering of starting a custom knife shop for some time now. Would be great if we can get in touch.
Hello Parsha,

Good to hear about your efforts. Do share your knives here. Start a separate thread and let's see them. Also, what procedure did you use to anneal the leaf springs? Cheers.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

parsha77
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by parsha77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Thank you Vikram. Normally while forging leaf spring I cut out an appropriate piece with an angle grinder and the directly forge to shape. If I have to anneal any piece I heat it ro cherry red and dump it in a tub full of wood ash.
I will start a seperate thread for a recent knife I made.

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:41 am

parsha77 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Hi rommel,

Hi mate

So sorry, never received a notification for your post. I came across it today when I randomly logged in to the forum.

Currently I am in Germany pursuing my Master's course, and unlikely to return before August this year.
In the meanwhile, I recommend you get in touch with <user> Pistolero </user> on this forum. He has been guiding me regarding this field for a while now and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you too.

Djanko
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Djanko » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Sure think there is a vast market for good reputed knives, why else would we go for those Gerber, muella,coldstee, morakniv.Hope you people set up shop and sell cheaper.