Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

Post by milind » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Correct Mak, most of the Roman swords doesn't have Knuckle Guard, they are symmetric and double edged. This one is different.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes sir,
I saw your second Bow Standing on left side.
Regards
Regards

Shivaji

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:Yes sir,
I saw your second Bow Standing on left side.
Regards
:cheers: it's quite bigger than the other one.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Some of my Bows are about to get ready. today i have started to give them a oil brush and leave in sunlight for the day. will do it for a week. the third from the top is incomplete. i have also got few new arrows.
DSC_0465.JPG
DSC_0474.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:10 pm

nitroex700 wrote:The Santhals used it with deadly effectiveness against the Brits and the Salwa Judum against the naxals..
Matters are not so simple and black and white. Salwa Judum was well armed with modern firearms by government. Since Salwa Judum was very much an unlawful organization, likely to create terror, infighting and bloodshed by creating a civil war among indigenous people, the Supreme Court got it banned and disbanded. The "problem" is a very complicated matter essentially related to the systematic violation of rights of indigenous people with impunity. What are the rights of indigenous people? You may search for "United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples" and read it.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Just curious, along with the bows and arrows do the natives use knives and machetes too? What kind and where are they sourced from?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Dear Kshitij, yes they use knifes but not the short one, the bigger Dao is more popular. except that they do use talwar, tangi, kulhari and bhala. I do have a small collection of all of these items but As my first liking is bow and arrows so i use to collect them mainly. i will post some photo of other weapons shortly.

goodboy_mentor sir Salwa judum was never entered in Jharkhand, Bihar and Bengal. here tribals are 100% in accordance with MCC guerrillas. they are almost hero like figures in rural areas. acquiring some modern hi tech fire arm is not an issue in these areas. whether its AK's or any other bolt action rifle or pistols. village people also use these weapons and mostly against govt.

As you rightly said "Matters are not so simple and black and white". The reality is that a parallel kind of govt is running in interior areas and the reason is also very simple, the development which the govt. is unable to provide since independence is now happening and all b.coz of fear of getting a bullet in their bum ( govt. & netas).

but in spite of all odds and troubles i saw the tribals live happily within their culture and heritage. they do not interfere in city life and never want the modern life style and tech. to interfere in their lives.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am

Yesterday i have brought this straight sword for Rs. 250/- Asked for 400/- but after a stiff bargain reduced to 250/- .
DSC_0509.JPG
total blade size approx 2.8 ft. and the handle length is approx 11 inch.
Due to Navratra and Ram navmi lots of edged weapons are now available here .
Not a bad bargain for Rs. 250. little work is required to get a decent finishing touch.
regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 pm

The price is good provided the quality of metal is reliable, so that it does not break while hitting a hard surface. The breakage usually happens at the weakest point where the blade transforms into tang. Another is just my personal preference, for hilt types that have some kind of obstruction to prevent the slipping of hands on either side. For example if some small inverted dish like circular plate is added on both sides to prevent possible slippage.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 am

you are right sir. i am working on it. will post the final image. metal quality is good. its not a leaf spring plate and the normal plate metal available in abundance. regards
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Its almost one year of starting this thread. Today We have arranged an archery competition it's a two days sports event. This time some changes we have introduced like ..
1. No broad blade arrows. ( its very lethal and in case of an accidental injury may turned fatal)
2. All age group Male female can attend.
3. Distance I have suggested 50 yards but Actually was more than 65 Yrds
4. No competition bow can be used. only bamboo made bow and arrows.
5. 1st prize a Goat and rs. 501/- cash, 2nd prize a lamb and rs. 301/- cash, 3rd prize A desi Chiken ( Desi Murga and rs.151/- cash)

Unfortunately due to strong wind, the event is postponed for yesterday. Pics will follow shortly.

Added in 1 hour 44 minutes 7 seconds:
trgt post.jpg
Actually we have decided for 50 yrds but the got sponsor volunteered for placing the target and I think he was in plan to save his goat. :D :D :D placed it at approx 65 ( later we come to know)
20180115_124209.jpg
20180115_123645.jpg
waiting for the competition
20180115_124230.jpg
junior candidates.
20180115_123754.jpg
Different Arrow heads
20180115_124411.jpg
20180115_124416.jpg
Saw this Arrow head after decades. most difficult to built. Now rarely available. I had one but lost long ago.
20180115_125431.jpg
Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
20180115_125418.jpg
20180115_125716.jpg
20180115_125716.jpg
Will post more by tomorrow.
Regards

Shivaji

srmathuria
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by srmathuria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi Shivaji

thanks for sharing in detail bow n arrow technology of our countrymen.
I could not see any of the PIC you have posted.
Could you pls email me to [email protected]

I am very much interested in archery and trying to make a bow
your pics could help me out in it.

thanks

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 pm

ok. sending shortly. simultaneously you can ask Our admin group if there is any tech. difficulty and I am sure that they will help you out.

Added in 13 minutes 25 seconds:
Its Done bro.
Regards

Shivaji

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:15 pm

We must encourage the youth to take up arms training especially with NCC and such organizations. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri May 14, 2021 10:03 pm

This is my last purchase. A fishing spear/trident Last year before the covid lockdown. Yet not able to get a good handle for it.
IMG_20210510_204124.jpg
IMG_20210510_204120.jpg
Total length is approx 12 inches. Spikes are approx six and half.
Regards

Shivaji