Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Few tribal arrows with me. Given to me by a dear friend. I believe they are from chenchu but don't quote me on that.

With their modern counterpart :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:28 pm

hi Vedula 1995, where are based in Jamshedpur.
Regards

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi Kanwar 76, Really nice Arrows. Have you tried them? and what bow they use for these arrows. one more thing i notice that Arrows Are quite long. what is the Actual length and Also let us know About the Arrow head. its Hardened Steel or Any other material

Regards

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi All,
Today I just get the news that one of my Friend has delivered Two arrow Heads at my home. They are specially used for Fishing. I have asked my friends to help me to get different Arrow Heads. I don't know how many of this group is known to the fishing with bow and Arrows. Its common in African and South American region and also gaining popularity in America and Europe with modern Arrow fishers, but here in India some parts like Orissa, Jharkhand, CG its a common fishing tactics in shallow water fishing. I will post the Pics Shortly.

Regards.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:14 pm

I have seen a few videos of that sort but I think they will only be effective on larger fishes. The smaller fry are likely to slip off on most occasions I think.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes Nitroex700, You are right. What I have seen that in summer time when the water level is decreases in River and lakes, tribals use to stand with Bow and Arrows at a 2/3 Ft deep water and the Trick is how Silent you can while waiting for your Pray.
soon fishes start roaming near you. you need to select one, take aim and shoot.....
As you rightly said, its for large and medium Fishes.
Regards

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Yes Nitroex700, You are right. What I have seen that in summer time when the water level is decreases in River and lakes, tribals use to stand with Bow and Arrows at a 2/3 Ft deep water and the Trick is how Silent you can while waiting for your Pray.
soon fishes start roaming near you. you need to select one, take aim and shoot.....
As you rightly said, its for large and medium Fishes.
Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 pm

kanwar76 wrote:Few tribal arrows with me. Given to me by a dear friend. I believe they are from chenchu but don't quote me on that.

With their modern counterpart :)
An enviable collection indeed.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm

http://greenmanarchery.blogspot.in/2010 ... chive.html

an interesting thread for different type of fletching, Arrow heads are common but the end grip notch is different and Artistic.

Added in 42 minutes 20 seconds:
Arrow length measurement.
arrow-length.gif
arrowlength.jpg
regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am

Competition is About to start
16anu02.jpg
Ready, on your Mark. get set ..............

Tribal-bodies-agree-690x377.jpg
A small challenge.
bow and arrow competition at salia sahi.jpg
Participants are comming.
download (3).jpg
Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Some details of the above please.

And the drum in the last photo looks quiet different... skin on a weaved frame.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:18 am

Dear BD Sir,
You are right, The Drum is A Nagada. It generally prepared by Buffalo Skin on a Wooden Bowl Like Structure. The Beat sound is also Varies depends on the depth of that wooden Bowl.

The Above Pics I have taken from my own Click, Jharkhand Govt. and other NGO sites. Its the Traditional Archery competition. In the first Pic You can See people in Green Dhoti or Saree. they generally use this attire in some cultural functions. one group decorated themselves with Peacock Feather and other Natural makeup items and equipped with different Musical instruments Perform the songs based on folk lore on various Martyrs of our history to encourage shooters before the match.
one holds a flag, and by waiving it the shooting starts. the target is about 40/50 yards distance and three chances were given to the shooter groups. prize is generally cash money or a goat/Sheep or even a cow. but now a days medal and cups are also awarded to the winning participants.

Many time small challenges are also organised by a small group but its mainly for baiting.
regards.
Regards

Shivaji

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Hello friends,

After seeing all the love & interest in our traditional weapons, I could not resist myself posting the snap of my bow & arrow. It's from Chattisgarh.

Love
Milind

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks Sir,
Really an impressive collection. What i make out that the bow is same as ours ( the String is made of thin bamboo bark) and Arrows are also same. may be its because CG and Jharkhand very much connected in respect with territory, culture and others.
I am just interested in two weapons.
one is first from Left the Spiked one with a curved hook. its Look like an Ankush ( The Weapon/instrument used to Control the Elephant by Mahawats). Is it the same or it is some different harpoon short of weapon. and the Second one is the Short Straight Sword second from Right.
Pls also let us Know about the hand Gun and also the Guns standing. One is Precihole but the rest.

Regards.
Regards

Shivaji

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Dear Shivaji,

Yes the first one which you have mentioned is 'Ankush' and the second from right is the 'Roman straight sword'. Straight blade and Small size is its speciality. Guns standing are all ARs excluding extreme left which is 12 bore. I have IHP, Precihole, UTA and latest addition is IHP pneumatic (sidelines, not in the picture).

Soon I wish to add SDB & PH PCP in my AR collection.

I like your observation. :)

Love
Milind

Added in 2 hours 15 minutes 27 seconds:
If you observe carefully you can find one more bow in my collection :?:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:57 pm

milind wrote: second from right is the 'Roman straight sword'.
Odd looking handle for a Gladius.