My new Kukri

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
prasanjit.baul
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

My new Kukri

Post by prasanjit.baul » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:26 pm

My friend had been to Sikkim for a trip and as able to buy a Kukri from Kalimpong local market. This is the best she found in the market which is made of Leaf spring and can be used for literally all purposes from cutting wood to meat. The locals ideally use this for domestic purpose.
IMG-20161103-WA0028.jpg
The Knife has a small hint of rust at one place but looks and feel very solid and sharp. Has good weight. Can someone suggest any tips in making the knife better in terms of finish and shine
shine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nkarun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: My new Kukri

Post by nkarun » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:40 pm

hey, its a nice kukri, you can use, braso, or you can use fine grit water paper /emery paper. of grade 800, 1000, 2000 for a mirror finish, assuming you are going to keep it in display

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Prasanjit - welcome back. You took quite a hiatus. Check out Moin's thread on taking care of Khukri. He's got a mirror finish on one. If not just PM him.
regs
A.

RamMani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by RamMani » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:35 pm

What a Khukri...... (y) (y)
I have no way to get this type one.
Great Bro.

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:11 am

Nice one. What is the blade length? N total length?
Can u pm me the price.
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Great Khuk, Bro!!

To get a mirror shine, use 1200 and higher grit sandpapers. A polishing compound and buffing wheel will help. If you don't have access, go to any glass shop (mirrors and so on), and get a pack of glass polish (it's a fine white powder). Rub with any lint free cloth. Wrap the cloth on a finger, dip into water, dip into polish, and rub rub rub.

Coat with oil. If using for food, coat with Johnson's Baby Oil (it is almost 100% mineral oil). Prepare for the khuk to smell like an infant :). If you intend to keep it on display, then any damn oil will work. Just don't use coconut or other vegetable oils, they get rancid after a while. Use machine oils, motor oils, etc.

If you intend to use it for camping, biking, etc. (be careful of the coppers), I would advise letting it get a natural patina, or giving a forced patina with vinegar or ferric chloride. In that case, you don't need to do a mirror finish. Just get it rust free and buff upto 200 or max. 400 grit.

It's spring steel. It WILL rust. Just keep looking at it from time to time, and scrub off any rust either with steel wool + WD40, or the finest sandpaper you used originally. In Mumbai monsoon, do a weekly inspection.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley