Plantation knife from Kerala

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Abhi J
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Plantation knife from Kerala

Post by Abhi J » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:10 am

Hi,

Got this Kerala plantation knife at a stall in Bombay last year. Couldn't gather much info from the seller, so I would be grateful to anyone who could tell me more about it.
This one is full-tang. (Rather unusually for a plantation tool?)

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Plantation knife from Kerala

Post by kshitij » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:25 am

No image attached dude. Post up, would like to see the sharpie.

Also, where the heck do you come across knife stalls in bombay?!
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Abhi J
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Abhi J » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 am

Oops, here's the photo. The knife is roughly 20-22 inches long with the handle (Don't have it with me right now to measure it).

kshitij : This one was bought at an Indian handicraft expo. Back when I was more into modern survival/utility knives, I used to scour Crawford Market and used to come across some at other stalls/shops in South Bombay. Curio shops at many hill stations (around Bombay as well as other parts of India) are generally great places to ask for knives - even if they don't have any on display, they tend to have good stuff kept inside, sometimes even Gerbers etc. On the whole, I don't really go looking for knives, I just pick them up if I happen to come across them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nkarun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nkarun » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:32 pm

hai, Am from kerala, more precisely Trivandrum,Its a regular type of knife or more likely matchet, usually made from broken leaf springs. Its good for all sort of heavy duty works like cutting slicing, we use it in kitchen for breaking coconut shell.